January 9, 2017

Review : Commander in Chief (White House #2) by Katy Evans

Commander in Chief (White House #2)
by Katy Evans

Goodreads | Amazon | iTunes

Blurb from Goodreads:

The sizzling second installment of the White House series, by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Katy Evans.

We fell in love during the campaign.
The stakes were high.
Reputations could have been ruined.
Scandal hovered over us like a cloud.
Now the man I love is the President of the United States of America.
And its not my vote he is after.
He wants it all.
My heart. My body. My soul.
He wants me by his side.
In the White House.
Normalcy will be gone from my life, privacy forgotten.
I am only twenty three. I just wanted to play a part in history. But it seems like history wasn't done with me. The part where I lost my heart to Matthew Hamilton? It was only the beginning...





This would be the first book I've finished this year, and I'm very much happy that this would be the first book to start my year, because this one is just fantastic!

My friends' have known me to be quite emotional, and I'm a bit like that with my books as well. I want just the right amount of angst and emotion to the books that I read. Just enough to make them more interesting or realistic to me.

But this series offers a bit more different approach when it comes to drama. When I read the first book last year, I was a bit surprised over how much I liked the steady out pour of emotion that the book makes me feel. Its as if you feel like a storm is coming, and you're just there, waiting for it to come to you.

Commander in Chief
has that aspect as well. Its not the type of book that is full of drama that can be a bit obnoxious or action that seem to unrealistic. It's the perfect blend of good politics and realism.

In terms of story-line and pacing, the book has my big approval. I loved how the author took her time to make me understand the characters and what their situation really felt like. I wasn't overloaded with too much information as well, in the most technical terms, the book was outstanding. But to me, what made me love this book, is the characters themselves.

I love Matt and Charlotte because of how inspirational they are as characters. They're driven and passionate about their work, their country as well as they are to each other. Its not the type of romance where they just fell in love with each other and forgot about the whole universe. Its as if, as a unit, they both want to make the world a better place not just for themselves but for the people around them.

I admire Matt for his determination. In the sequel, I've seen one part of Matt that made him more human to me, which in the end, made me love him more. His selfishness (Not exactly selfishness, but more of finally he put himself first). To be honest he's been selfless for a long time since I read the first book, so its' actually getting on my nerves to see him be so selfless, that at one point, it felt like an annoying work to be a martyr. So to see him put his determination to an even higher level, just so he can finally do something for himself is awe-inspiring.

Charlotte is one of the most graceful characters I've ever read. She reminds me a lot of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. They're both elegant and graceful. But Charlotte's compassion for those around her made her my favorite in the book. She's selfless and kind and giving. Not just because she is actually these traits, but also because she is just too compassionate for her own good. She's like royalty in terms of outward appearance, but they way she interacted in the book was a testament of what a good leader and role model is.

In a nutshell, this book isn't really that complex. Its a simple, romantic, non-drama, HEA book. But that's what I love most about it. It's simplicity and general feel-good vibe. It makes me inspired. Too see such determined characters who work, not for themselves but for others. I say bravo to Katy Evans because this one is just too amazing to just be read and not remembered.


How about you? Have you read this book? If not what book are you currently reading now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!