April 4, 2015

Idle-Chat: The good guy that got away


Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile

* * *

THAT GUY THAT WAS NOT CHOSEN
(Its mean to say it, but it is true)



I’ve been doing  lot of rereading this days, and honestly, I’ve recently reread Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins. And while reading it, it got to me just how we bookworm people always encounter those guys that are not chosen to be “the one”

It made me think that, there a lot of heroes out there who were left in the dust and it just makes me sad. Reading Sweet Evil made me realize that Kopano is actually very lovable, he is kind of person that wouldn’t be hard to love because he’s naturally someone you would cheer on or love, and rereading the book, it made me wonder why I didn’t cheer him on instead of Kaidan (‘cuz seriously speaking Kaidan did some really annoying things in the book, with a reason yes, but still annoying). And I would like to say that they fell victim to the “so obviously will not be chosen because girl is already in love” curse of love triangles (I totally made that up I am sorry haha)

I’ve found my own list of guys that I absolutely loved, but honestly didn’t cheer on to be “the one”


  • Puck from the Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa
  • Adrian Ivashkov from the Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  • Adam from the Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi
  • Seth from the Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout


But really, thinking about it, I do make sense right? More often than not the main love interest in books act like complete a douche or start off cold (tho I think Seth from the Covenant series is a little bit different), and yet the heroine always seem to fall for him instead of that guy that is always good to her and is always respectful when it comes to her. (Exhibit A: Simon from the Mortal Instruments and Puck from the Iron Fey series)

BUT!!!  



When flip the other side of the coin, we also realize that as a person we try to find a person who is our equal, someone that challenges  us, someone that we can lean on head on when problems arise, so maybe these heroines found a partner in someone else. But hey that’s a different kind of discussion from some other time.

"Nikolai (highlight to see spoiler) wasn't chosen because of two things: the timing and the situation. He was going to be the next ruler of Ravka and juggling a girlfriend would interfere with his duties. And the girl felt a "friends" kind of love." - Miguel (The Quirky Reader's take on the Grisha Trilogy)


How about you?
What's your opinion about this? Do you know a guy like this?

17 comments:

  1. Spoiler alert!

    :) Seriously though, a couple of these guys were the ones I was rooting for. I was destroyed when they were set free. Huhuhuhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW HAHAHAHA, I SHOULD PUT THIS UP WITH A WARNING HAHA. I know, tho I'm not rooting for them, I kinda realized and wondered why I didn't root for them instead.

      Delete
  2. That's why I avoid "supporting" the second lead guy because I can't accept rejections that easily.

    Since you mentioned Adrian - there is a reason why he wasn't the chosen one. :) He and Rose are just NOT meant to be. Irish @ nocturnalreader.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! hahaha and I never felt that he was the right one too. But I did love him so so much! :D

      Delete
  3. I usually seem to root for the guy that gets chosen! Those ones just seem to have a better connection with the heroine. The chemistry is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, its like, there's a force that makes them more lovable, yes? :D

      Delete
  4. I loved Kopano and I didn't cheer him on either. I think he was too good for Anna (it IS Anna isn't it), she was all kinds of boring and wanted the asshole, again. It makes me laugh when the heroine changes her mind halfway through the series, and it always makes me wonder if it's more due to reader backlash and authors giving the reading public what they want/ Really interesting topic Jules, do you think we'll see any of these secondary guys in their own spin off series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Seth is having his own novel where he's the main character! I actually love reading spin off series, they tend to be so melancholic :D

      Delete
  5. LOTS OF SPOILERS HERE JULES. XD

    I (almost) always go for the best friend. I LOVED SIMON IN TMI. But I hated Clary, so I'm happy with how things ended with them, haha! I love Puck too, but Meghan was meant to be with Ash, and same thoughts on Adrian/Dimitri/Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE ALL LOVE THEM. HIHIHI. I'm neutral with Clary, but I am too head over hills over Jace hihi

      Delete
  6. To be honest... most of the time in love triangles, I don't cheer on ANY of the dudes involved. xD I am such a cynic when it comes to romance, man. But yeah, based on the love triangle books I've read and can remember, most of the time its the "bad boy who does bad things but has a good reason for it (apparently)" who gets chosen. And it's so sad, because I'd much prefer a nice guy over a douchebag who suddenly transforms when he meets the heroine!

    And ooh, I didn't realize that Puck from The Iron Fey series was a douche, haha. I haven't read the series, but I've read the spin-off (Call of the Forgotten), and Puck seemed like a pretty witty and adorable guy. I don't know, lol. And omg, the entire Grisha trilogy was really one huge ship. I loved the ending, but it was so easy to root for all the "love interests" -- inverted commas because some of them didn't really love Alina, just wanted her for their own reasons. I loved Nikolai, though. Loved him to pieces. Mostly I'm still mourning for my sweet Darkling. Adrift on Vulcan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I haven't read the Grisha Trilogy yet, but I am dying to read it!! Miguel's words did magic haha

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with you Jules, there's quite a few characters who I've totally forgotten about, like Adam from the Shatter Me series I loved from the beginning, but then Warner sort of won me over that I was like Adam who? lol But I agree with you on finding someone who challenges us too, this is such a tough discussion post, but I had a lot of fun reading other people's opinions on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaay I'm glad you enjoyed it Jasprit! I actually had a bit of a hard time doing this because there is no right or wrong side in this one for me. We love who we want to love, right? :D

      Delete
  8. KABABAYAN!!! It's so nice to see a fellow Filipina here in the blogosphere :)

    I'm actually annoyed that Simon from TMI didn't get Clary because Simon is such a GOOD GUY and I don't think I like Jace that much, lol. It's so frustrating sometimes, right? :( Haha. Great post!! And your blog is so cute! Looking forward to more of your posts :D

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HALLOOOOOO! YAAAY I've been trying to find more filipina bloggers too! HIIIIIII

      Yes, it is frustrating, but to me as long as they are in love i am okay hahaha #hopelessromanticbookworm

      Delete
  9. So with you with Vampire Academy, I loved Adrian, but Rose and Dimitri were just made for each other (like you said, they try and find their equals, and they were). I'm 50/50 on this, sometimes I'm exactly the same, though the other times I am with the obvious one that's going to be chosen (because sometimes I'm a sucker for broody love interests, I blame Buffy and Angel for that, just saying) I recently read The Start of Me and You after Open Road Summer, and I liked Max, but I wasn't rooting for him like I was with Matt.

    Also, love the revamp! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!