April 25, 2015

Book Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Confess by Colleen Hoover (3 Stars + 1 Star because the last chapter broke me)


Goodreads | TBD



Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…



MY OPINION

So I guess you guys are wondering why the heck my rating is like this? Well, we will get to that part soon. But first let’s talk about my reading experience with this guy (I say guy because… well… just because)

Pre-Reading Confess, I was in a state where I was uber excited to read the book. Everybody in the CoHort group was reacting about it. It was intense, it was emotional. Everybody said that they would break from reading this book. So of course, as someone who is a devoted CoHort, I immediately wanted to read this book. AND I MEAN IMMEDIATELY. I even attended an event that is celebrating Confess’ release.

While reading Confess, I was immediately taken with the story. Every chapter, I am immediately bombarded with questions. Who was Owen? What is this secret that Owen has? Am I really digging this book? My answer then. I think I’m not. Yes, I have confirmed that even though Colleen Hoover is my queen, even tho I am a certified CoHort. I am questioning myself whether I am liking this enough for me to rate it 4-5 stars.

I like some parts of it, I like that bartender guy even if I don’t remember his name and even though he isn’t really a big part of the book. I love how good and true these characters are. You can’t help but like them because they just want for their loved ones to be okay. Auburn is a great person, who is ready to sacrifice everything for the one she loves. Then there’s Owen who would also risk something to protect his loved ones. The secondary characters were all very likeable except for two persons that I can’t tell yet because it would be a spoiler. But of course, I have some concerns.

The first problem I encountered on this one, which I also read from other reviews, is the the insta-love. I have no actual problem of it if its actually… you know… swoon worthy. But the way Owen is fascinated with Auburn was a bit too sudden. Its as if she is a piece of abstact art, and Owen is transfixed on understanding her. Doesn’t really feel like attraction for me. More like fascination. Another thing that bothered me is the way that the pacing was made. It felt too fast, they were very intimate (not sexually) already in just a short amount of time. It felt like everything was happening all too fast and I wanted to say HOLD UP! But most importantly, I didn’t feel connected to the characters. They both have these problems that make me want to hug them or support them. But unlike CoHo’s first books, I didn’t feel a connection with them. You would think that since Owen is an artist, I would be able to connect with him with a certain level. And I did, when it comes to art, I get how he gets his inspiration, I understand how he could get so invested in an artwork that he is making. I could connect with on a certain level as an artist, but not as a character. Overall, I feel sad for the characters, I like them, that’s for sure. But there’s something missing.

But then there’s the last chapter. That last effing chapter that broke my heart I swear I can’t handle it. It took me about 5 minutes to compose myself because I am embarrassed haha, but yes, even if I had my doubts about this book, it delivered a very big and hurtful blow on the last chapter. I swear I was crying for the whole last chapter. It was too intense, too emotional, too i-cannot-handle-it-please-help-me-because-colleenhoover-did-it-again. This chapter alone made me add 1 star because, I never experienced just one chapter that made me cry. It hurts too much.

So yeah, that is my overall experience of reading Confess for me. Tho I think that I didn’t connect with this book as much as Slammed or Point of Retreat, it is still one great work from the Queen Colleen :)

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


Her candid description:

I'm addicted to and seriously floored by the talent of The Avett Brothers band, which is obvious in both of my books. They are 99% of my playlist. The other 1% being Eminem and Jason Mraz. I love lindor truffles (the white ones with the chips inside) and have an unhealthy addiction to diet pepsi. A serious addiction

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Facebook | Twitter 

24 comments:

  1. Lately I haen't been able to connect with CoHo's books as much as I'd like too. Don't get me wrong--she's a fantastic writer, i just can't emotionally invest in her books like i once used too. That being said, i ended up liking this one, it was engaging and i kept wanting to read because i wanted to find out more about Auburn and Owen and what was going to happen between them. I did feel like their relationship was insta-love and the ending may have wrapped up too nicely in my opinion but i still enjoyed this one in the end. Glad you did too Jules :)
    Lily @ lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed this book lily! :D I know right? Especially since Owen said that he knew her from before! Talk about mysterious haha :D

      Delete
  2. Awwww to bad this didn't work out for you as you hoped it would Jules! I know how much you love this author too. I can understand your issues though, I'm not a huge fan of insta-love either and it does affect my reading enjoyment. Sorry this was a bit of a miss for you but I know this doesn't stop you from loving the author, hopefully her next book will be better. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amir! Its true, I was a bit sad to see that the book wasn't as awesome as her first one, but I still call her my queen haha.

      Delete
  3. This DEFINITELY sounds like it's not my kind of book, Jules. xD Insta-love/insta-attraction is what's making me pissed with CoHo's books. And the quickly being intimate thing. I think that was my main problem with Ugly Love too. :/ And I'm always disconnected to her characters, so maybe in this one I'll be too disconnected with them? And honestly, I don't think any sort of heartbreaking chapter will salvage this for me haha. I'm glad you still enjoyed this a bit! :)

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhahhaahhaaha! Not even a little bit? What if it break you? I will find a book that will be sad that you would cry too hard haha

      Delete
  4. Jules, you echoed my exact thoughts on this book as well. It felt like the insta-love was a bit too much, and they grew to love each other way too quickly. I did like the end as well, but it was still a 3 star read for me, which made me so sad because I love Colleen Hoover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOMEONE WHO FEELS ME *HUGS JEANN* I know it is sad, but sometimes an author writes something that we just won't like right? :D

      Delete
  5. /
    www.paperboulevard.com

    I sometimes feel that way, Jules! Like should I go further digging the book then end up either in a good bc I liked it still or bad mood bc I tried but still did not liked it.

    Great review anyway. :)
    I am not a certified Colleen Hoover fan but I love Finding Cinderella so much! Have you read it? It's a short novella from her and it's free in Kobo! I am thinking Confess would be my next read from this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. OHMYGHAD. DANIEL IS THE OTHER LOVE OF MY LIFE. UGH <3

      Delete
  6. Great review! I've heard so many good things about Colleen Hoover, and I'm a little curious as to what's so good about her novels :) I might want to check this out real soon, though. And I'm sorry some parts didn't really work well, like the beginning being all too confusing. At least you enjoyed it so much, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did enjoy it ish. I'm sure Colleen loves to make her fans cry. I do all the time when it comes to her books.

      Delete
  7. I am dying to read this book!I am a huge fan of CoHo and man,look at that cover!I would buy that book and keep it in my shelf even if the story is horrible:)
    Plus it's been some time since I got my heart broken by a book,so I guess I should give this one a shot soon.
    Great review by the way,Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaah it isn't that horrible. A lot of people actually liked this book. I'm just not one of the biggest fans. Well, the only warning I can give you is ready yourself with tissues when it comes to the last chapter.

      Delete
  8. Not gonna lie, this was not a favourite amongst CoHo's books. Still. No one can deny how well she knows her way to her readers' hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was disappointed because as much as the cover is beautiful, its not as beautiful inside. :(

      Delete
  9. Ommmg I am not sure if I should read this book or not. I read a lot of reviews about this book but still ain't sure ;( Anyways, I might read it and by the way, you have a very nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dear :) Hope that you'll enjoy it more that I did :D

      Delete
  10. I'm still so jealous that I didn't get the chance to see you at the Confess Party. I honestly wanna go but I did not like the book so... that would be awkward. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, REALLY. :) The art were pretty awesome, right? Great review Jules!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I actually followed the artist DOC and he is so kind with those who comments :D

      Delete
  11. I can't believe I haven't read this book yet (or any Colleen Hoover book to be exact). I'm sorry to hear it wasn't quite a favorite, but I'm still glad you enjoyed the read nevertheless.

    So happy I stumbled across your blog today, Jules!

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been seeing a lot of not-so-in-love reviews for this book from Colleen Hoover fans. It makes me more interested in reading it, to be honest! I have never read a Hoover book, although quite a few people have urged me to. I just don't really read contemporaries, and when I do - its a big deal, and I want to 10000% read them. But I am more interested in this one because it has such a reaction from die-hard fans of hers!

    And I also like books about artists. ;D

    Great review, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just an observation but it fels like CoHo's first books were deemed much better by the fans. I know Paula wasn't impressed with her recent ones, and some of her devoted fans have said the same on Twitter... that said, why does it feel like Owen's fixation on the female love interest is akin to... stalking o_o I don't know, I have never read the book, but since you said it felt too rushed, too weird even, it did come across that way to me! Haha.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been reading a lot of rave for CoHo's Confess, and this actually make me more interested on reading it (much like Chiara). :) Wonderful review, Jules!


    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!