January 17, 2015

Book Review: The Vanishing Girl by Laura Thalassa

The Vanishing Girl by Laura Thalassa (4 Stars)




Every night after Ember Pierce falls asleep, she disappears. She can teleport anywhere in the world—London, Paris, her crush’s bedroom—wherever her dreams lead her. Ten minutes is all she gets, and once time’s up, she returns to her bed. It's a secret she’s successfully kept for the last five years. But now someone knows.

A week after her eighteenth birthday, when frustratingly handsome Caden Hawthorne captures her, delivers her to the government, and then disappears before her eyes, Ember realizes two things: One, she is not alone. And two, people like her—teleporters—are being used as weapons.

Dragged off to a remote facility where others like her live, Ember’s forced to pair up with her former captor, Caden, to learn how to survive inside until she can escape. Only Caden’s making escape seem less and less appealing.

But even as Ember falls for the boy who got her into this mess, she knows that she is running out of time. Because the government has plans for those like her, and those plans might just cost Ember her life.



MY OPINION

I've not read a lot of fantasy lately, just because of the reason that a lot of the fantasy I've read in the past has been... tiring to read. So I appreciated that this novel was actually one of the most exciting books I've read for the fantasy genre for a long time.

It got interesting from the very start of the book. I didn't have to wait for the action (which I appreciated) and the idea and concept of a kid who can mysterious "teleport" at a place for 10 minutes. It felt like a unique story for me because even though teleporting isn't really a new superpower I love how the author designed it for her novel. It made the whole concept of their powers unique and interesting.

The action scenes were also my favorites in reading this book. Unlike some action scenes, these were very easy to visualize and I enjoyed that I could actually imagine what was happening clearly. And as I continued reading this book, the way the story unravelled was very exciting and it made me want to flip to the next page as soon as possible because I kept wanting what was in it.

But of course, there were things that I disliked about it... actually hate is a much more apt word

What I actually hated was the romance in it. I love romance, okay? I've been a hopeless romantic for a long time, and I strive to find a good love story in every book that I read (as long as it feels like there would be one) but the romance for this one?? Well it made the book less perfect. The insta-love was too much, and I think it borders too much on insta-lust. The girl and boy just instantly became a couple. Everything that happened was too fast, and the intimacy was too sexual. There was no build up of trust, no deeper meaning. Its like mixing NA with a YA fantasy (Which I didn't find a good mix). This was the reason why I rated it minus 1 star, because the romance was not good at all.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

But overall I loved the feel of this novel. Even if the romance wasn't really good, the story, idea and concept was beautiful. AND THAT ENDING. *SIGH* I HATE YOU AND LOVE YOU LAURA FOR DOING THAT. Excited to read the second book! :D

* * *
About the Author

Born and raised in Fresno, California, Laura Thalassa spent her childhood cooking up fantastic tales with her best friend. Lucky for her overactive imagination, she also happened to love writing.

When not writing, you might find her at the beach, along a hiking trail, or curled up on the couch with a book.

Laura Thalassa lives in sunny Santa Barbara, California with her fiancé, author Dan Rix.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Facebook | Twitter 


THANK YOU NETGALLEY FOR PROVIDING ME THIS BOOK! :D

10 comments:

  1. WOOOAAAAH. Love that cover! How have I never heard of this book before? Thanks for putting it on my radar, Jules! I'm so glad to hear you loved it! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really heard of this book before as well! haha, but I saw it on NG and it looked awesome so I decided to give it a try. hihihihi

      Delete
  2. The premise sounds great and the characters interesting and I'm glad you enjoyed this one Jules, especially since you haven't been lucky with YA fantasy for awhile. Too bad about the insta-love/lust though...like you, I'm not a fan of those. But the fact that you rated this high even though you hated the romance still makes me want to check this out. Awesome review Jules! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was supposed to rate it lower, but I decided that I liked the book over all the romance was just UGH. SO SO SO ANNOYING.

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of the teleporting! That is definitely an interesting concept. But the romance, mixing it with NA romance? Woah now that's not what I expected from the novel. Great review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules, I don't read a lot of fantasy myself! It used to be my favourite genre but after a while it just got exhausting and sometimes really repetitive. I've been quite attached to contemporary of the late ;) It sucks that the romance wasn't so great here, girl. I think I'll still consider this book, though!

    Lovely review, hun <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGGG that cover. I think I'm in love and want to get that book on the cover alone (damn, that's pretty bad). I love fantasy books, but unfortunately, there are very few that get the mix right and do it well. I'm now really excited to read this book, I've never heard of it before now, so THANK YOU for introducing me to a new book :) So annoying about the insta-lust, but I'm glad that it didn't completely ruin the book for you. Hopefully the romance sorts itself out in the next book. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your ability to give a book 4 stars and still give it constructive criticism! Awesome review.

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, go here for the details http://followtheyellowbookrd.blogspot.com/2015/03/liebster-award-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a shame the romance falls short because this sounds like an awesome fantasy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, get what you mean about Fantasy, I do have to be in the mood for it, Throne of Glass got me back into it, but still, always takes me longer than it usually would to read. And yay, action from the start, that's more like it. And there, exactly, most things aren't original anymore, especially within the genre, but it's about making it your own, which sounds it does.
    Ugh, the romance. Totally with you there, I'd hate it too, not realistic at all. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!