December 24, 2014

Review: Every Ugly Word by Aimee Salter

Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter (4 Stars)


Add to Goodreads





When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.



MY OPINION


I've been bullied before so let's just say that this book is relatable to me and I may had some bad times with the Ash, but I love how the author portrayed the whole story

Every Ugly Word. I just consumed every moment in this book. And I remembered those times that I myself experienced bullying, but I never thought that it could get worse than that.

I had to admit that when I started reading this book it was hard to appreciate what it meant at the time. I was stuck in a point where I didn't understand why Ashley was so much of a people pleaser then and why she did something that is obviously (at least to me) so annoying and hate worthy. But in the end I understood.

This book talks about bullying and how much it hurts because it breaks the heart and trust. When you're being bullied, you take everything to consideration, you don't just accept favors and good deeds because of what's happened to you. Seeing Ashley annoyed me at first, but by the middle of the book I was bone deep with sympathy with her. I understood the position she was in. How she felt about herself and those around her. Why she could see her Older Self through the mirror. Aaaack.

I can't say the specific details why I loved this book because it would take out the reason why you would love it. haha, but what I do know is that this book reminded me that my bullied past is behind me and that no matter what other people think of you, there's really only one thing important and that is how you love and respect yourself. Kuddos to you Ms Aimee for writing such a beautiful novel. I hope to read more of these in the future. These are the kinds of books that needs to be read more.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Born in Oregon, but raised in New Zealand, Aimee L. Salter now lives in Southern Oregon with her husband and son. When not trying to remember which accent she should be speaking in, or chasing her dog around, Aimee writes novels for teens and the occasional adult who, like herself, is still in touch with their inner-high schooler.
[ More on her about page ] 

CONNECT WITH HER

Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a difficult read…even more difficult since it will resonate to a lot of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I've seen this around but never really cared about it. now i feel like reading this! I'm definitely adding this on my tbr :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you had to experience that Jules, it must have brought a lot of memories back reading this. I think any book that deals with severe bullying is going to be incredibly confronting. Ashley sounds like a really in depth character that even adults can probably relate to as well.

    Thanks for the lovely review Jules and sharing your experience with us *gives BIG hug* <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this one! Can't wait to read it. Great review :)

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!