September 10, 2014

Idle Chat: Professional VS Personal

Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile

* * *


Professional VS Personal

I’ve been following a lot of blogs for 2 years now. All of them a collection on Blogger blogs, Tumblr blogs, and Wordpress blogs. And all these blogs are either personal blogs (blogs that are not so serious, more passionate and candid with their posts) and professional blogs (or blogs that tend to be more serious with their post, including a really specific analysis of the topic or something along those styles). Now the question is, as a blogger/reader. What to do you prefer? A professional style or a personal style of blogging?

For me, I tend to like personal style compared to professional. In terms of reading, I think reading a personal blog is much more fun and connecting. I feel like I could talk to them(the blogger/s) more, if they sound approachable through their posts or their tweets. In terms of writing, I can’t seem to write any professional posts enough. I try to be professional when responding to book review requests or emailing an author or a publisher. But when it comes to writing reviews, or making discussion posts. I can’t. It feels awkward to try to be professional when I feel like it doesn’t make my posts uniquely mine. I did try once, to write a professional review, and… it didn’t feel like me. It felt like I was just a person reviewing a book. Not me, not Jules. I've always been more casual in real life. I’m quirky and happy-go-lucky. I like to make the people around me smile and I’m normally the type of person that wouldn’t be glum most days. In a way, I want my blog to reflect my personality, thus, I chose not to write in a professional manner.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t like professional styled blogs. In fact, I admire the way they write, I admire how they could weave words so artfully that it feels like them, without it being awkward. And really, I just idolize them because they could write that way. Because I know I can’t. It would just end badly XD.

How about you?
Do you like reading professional or personal styled blogs?
Which do you use to write?

9 comments:

  1. I guess, I'm at 50/50. Some pro bloggers sound impersonal, so I do still prefer blogs with a personal touch. :)

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. It totally depends but most of the times, I really prefer ones with personal touch. Posts with personal style allows readers to connect with blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to reading reviews, it doesn't really matter to me whether the blogger is a professional or a more personal reviewer. Personally though, I strive to sound more professional on the blog and I let loose on my GR's account. My GR reviews and my blog reviews have the same content but different approach. There's no reason really. It's just a matter of preference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I like a little bit of both. I want the blogger to post personal stuff (so that I can know it really is a human being) but I don't like bloggers who lacks professionalism as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really depends on the blog for me. I like reviews that give us snippets of the person behind the blog, but nothing TOO personal like this person did this and then he did that. Unless you actually know the people or bloggers, then it tends to go over my head a little. I like casual reviews. A little about their take on the storyline and then their own opinion mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a lot of people have the same opinion as I do - I like when it's a little bit of both. A review can still be eloquent and professional-sounding while still managing to reflect a little bit of your personality at the same time. Thanks for sharing Jules, and BRILLIANT discussion question! <3 This really made me think!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with everyone here, I like a little bit of both. I do admire bloggers that can find that right balance in being personal to its readers yet still be professional when it counts. I miss you Jules! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether the blog posts sound personal or professional. As long as the bloggers are sincere and honest with what they post, I'm totally fine with it. :) I think we're opposites, Jules. I'm not sure, but I think I sound professional online, despite trying to make my posts a bit more effortless and chill. It just doesn't work with the way I speak English, haha. XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely a bit of both but I totally slide towards personal blogs. You can defintely feel more comfortable about going up to them and chatting and personal blogs are much funner to read, in my experience. But formalish ones are still pretty awesome as well.

    Awesome, thought provoking post, Jules! <33

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!