August 6, 2014

Idle Chat: The Pressure of Blogging

Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile.

* * *

Blogging Pressure

Hey there you awesome person! :D
Hahaha, Hello guys! I'm back with a new post! Its been a long time since I posted something new, so let me start this discussion.

As some of you may know, and I currently studying in college, and I'm actually having fun. I love my school, and I love what I'm studying. I think I'm actually learning something and I don't feel any boredom while I'm in school (Well.. most of the time haha). In fact, I've been so dedicated on school that I haven't had the chance to really make some posts for  the blog.

Fact is, I will always prioritize studying before blogging, but I can never really let go of blogging. I love it too much to even think of letting it go, but let's face it. A blog can only survive if it has frequent posts right? To tell you the truth, it bothers me that I haven't had the chance to really prepare for my entrance in college. I never expected that it would take up this much of my time. It saddens me because I can't post as regularly as I did before.

So I've been thinking and thinking and thinking of what the right thing I should do. Should I quit blogging? Shut it down for now, then make a big comeback? Or should I try to keep up with my old blogging schedule. Guess what. I can't do any of the things I said above. I love my blog and blogging to much to just put it away. Its my baby and I can't handle it getting dumped or getting stowed away. But I can't disregard my grades and plates because I need to pass, or better yet, I want to have high grades. Haha :D

So let me tell you what I did to get rid of the pressure that has been closing in on me.
  1. Support from blogging friends. I tell you they have a been a great help. I may have been away from my blog, but I do get to talk to them through twitter. They helped a lot because they encouraged me to still continue, despite my lack of time to be consistent in terms of blogging. Its nice because they even tweet me even if my tweet wasn't book related. It gave me a lot of confidence that I may handle this. And they always remind me to just have fun. :) 
  2. Accept the brutal truth. Even if it hurts me to say this. But I can't read longer that I want to now. I have a lot of homework and plates to do. I can't read as much as I wanted too. And this comes with blogging as well. I can't seem to find the time to actually make a new post as fast as before. Its sad, but I've accepted it, and I'm trying to find a way to still "blog" and not keep this site stagnant. I can't eat more that I can chew, so I have to learn how to balance my blog, studies and reading.

                                            
  3. Remember why I started this blog in the first place. Yes it is awesome that my blog is more active than it was before, I feel like its a big achievement of mine, since I've had it for 2 years now. But looking back, I never even known the dos and don'ts of blogging. I don't even have followers, I didn't know how to join blog tours, I don't know how to use Netgalley. The main thing that drove me to continue blogging is because I love reading, and because I love sharing my thoughts. If I think its pressuring me and making me hate the craft. Then I'm doing something wrong here. 
  4. I love the community. Though the blogosphere isn't all glitters and rainbows, I had to admit that all the blogs I've seen had helped me build a larger view in life. They gave me different kind of perspectives and I've gained friends in these people.
  5. Be yourself. This blog is about me reviewing books and sharing what I love and me gushing about my book boyfriends. I don't need it to be the most famous blog in the world. I just love the fact that its mine.
Well, that's my discussion for now. :) I hope you guys like it. :)

25 comments:

  1. I hear you Jules, and I can't imagine how hard it is to find that balance between study and downtime where you can read or even blog about it. Your studies will set you up for life, so I wouldn't worry about the blog. Even if you only post here and there or wait until the holidays when you have free time, none of us are going anywhere :)

    If you want to be able to post up regular content, have you thought about a coblogger to help lessen the stress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly :)

      Yes, I've been thinking of having a co-blogger, because of that reason. But I'm still thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand the blogging pressure, Jules. That's mostly why I opted to just co-blog instead of keeping my own. But I also understand the love for the blog that you created and nurtured, That's surely hard to let go of. I admit to missing my old one at times. But I think you're able to cope up anyway even if you aren't able to post all the time. We can't all be famous. What's important is that you're happy with what you put out. You're more active on the blogging community than I am. I think that having time for that alone is pretty good. You're still able to socialize and be part of the community. Best thing is always to just do what makes you happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francine! :)

      I think its normal to miss your own blog Francine! I've even thought of that, to leave my blog and just co-blog with someone else. But it was not one of my preferable choices. It hurt to think that I would leave this. Because I'm proud of this blog even if its not all perfect.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Jules! I feel you! Although I haven't been blogging too long, I know how challenging it it to manage your time. It's especially hard now since you're just starting college. But if it's any assurance, it WILL get better. You'll learn to manage your time better, deal with homework more efficiently, and you'll definitely enjoy it.

    But like your other blogger friends, I encourage you to go on. I know it won't be realistic now to follow your old blogging sched so maybe it's time to make a new one. You'll figure it out, I'm sure. Just don't give up, ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! :D

      I'm glad that I have you guys to support me with my decision. haha

      So far, I'm developing an idea what schedule I'll be having for my blog. I just hope that I can comment back faster. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your true feelings on the matter Jules, it sounds like you're not ready to let go yet which is great! Some people blog a lot less when they are studying and uni starts up, so don't feel like you have to do everything at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeann! :D I'm learning how to balance it now. At least.

      Delete
  5. Great post! I'll be cutting back on my own blog starting next month, as I take on a new challenge of homeschooling one of my kids this fall. I'll still be blogging, but will only be posting 1-2 times a week. Ah well, there's no law that says we HAVE to post every day (or even every week!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Haha, as long as we're true to ourselves. We need not to put ourselves in unnecessary pressure.

      Delete
  6. Heyyyy Jules!!! *waves*

    First of all, quitting is not an option (though yes, I've thought of that too. haha. huhuhu) Anyway, trust me when I say that I know what you're feeling. Just know that you should study first because.. well, you have to graduate and get a job. I mean, how are you supposed to buy books??? Am I right??? :P

    Anyway, I've known you and your blog for quite a while now and yes, I'm a fan. Just know that I'm one of your supporters! I'm here to support you and heckle you and give you cyber hugs and stuff (I hope that's not creepy at all)

    Feel free to always tweet me and you know, just approach me if you need anything :D I hope you get anything from this message. I don't drink but I feel drunk. HAHAHA

    *cyber hug*

    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gives tight hug* haha thanks Paula!

      Its hard to not think about quitting especially if you feel like you can't handle it. But I keep reminding myself that I did this because I love talking about books. And I'm happy with it like this. Thanks for being a good blogging friend Paula! We can do this!

      P.S: Yes, I hope I can get a job soon because I already plan to have a book budget for every paycheck haha.

      Delete
  7. Awww I missed you Jules! I understand your situation right now as I myself am busy with school. I've less and less sleep lately because of trying to balance reading, blogging, and studying. And I realised that, I shouldn't be pressured by blogging. It's just me sharing my love for books with the whole community.

    Anyway, I hope you're doing well in college! I hear it's really tough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miguel :D

      Yes, college is tough, especially for my specific school (because we have a quarterm sched). YOU SLEEP LESS?! I can't do that, especially now that I need sleep to function for school. We should just blog in a way that we enjoy. No pressure Miguel. :D

      Delete
  8. Jules, you're absolutely right in saying that you prioritize studying first ;) Don't worry about the blog for now; whether you post everyday or once a week, or heck, once every two weeks, we'll be here right behind you! *hugs*

    And yes! Shrug off that pressure! It has no place here, none at all. You blog at your own pace, with whatever content, as long as it's still YOU :) And that you're happy! ^_^

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye! :D

      Thanks for the assurance. I really appreciate all of your support :)

      Delete
  9. I definitely miss Jules! So glad that I get to see a new post on your blog. It makes me feel happy that you're enjoying school, despite the fact that you can't read all that much, but I am pretty sure you might be able to squeeze in an hour or just 30 minutes to read something else besides a text book! Love yah!


    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually instead of sleeping my headache off I usually read. :p

      Haha, not a good thing for me, but reading relaxes me, I'm glad that I could still read for a short periods of time, I just hope its the same with blogging. :(

      Delete
  10. Hiya Jules!

    I totally feel you. With Junior year starting - they're saying it's our hardest year in HS - I'm definitely beginning to feel the pressure... sort of. And I can't let go of my blog either since it's been a big part of my High School life. ^_^

    A coblogger might help you though... as Kelly says. I'm also looking for one myself in the case I do get busy... and that's pretty likely. O_O Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually opening up to the idea of having a coblogger as well :) but is it weird to say that I'm having doubts? Haha not that I would hate a potential co-blogger but it feels weird to share my blog with another person. Maybe I'll be more at ease with this subject in the next months to come :)

      Delete
  11. You know what, Jules, I was in your exact position 2 years ago. Uni was such a huge timesuck. I can't even get to read the books I want anymore let alone have the energy to post up something on the blog. What I did was I left the blog alone for a very long time. *gasps* Something I didn't even know I could do until I'm in the middle of doing it! Then I made a huge comeback and drop off the face of the planet again. Haha. I'm not encouraging you to do the same, just to be clear. ;) I really like what you said about digging deep and remembering why you started blogging in the first place. This attitude of yours about studying and blogging in general is really admirable. I really hope you find the balance between both things you deem important. Just know that we'll still be here when you're ready to get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey.. I can relate to that exactly 2 years ago back in college and it even got worst last year when I'm already working. Now, I promised myself I won't let my blog go hiatus again. Time Management is the answer. Right now, I'm struggling to keep my blog alive but i believe it'll survive. You too! Don't give up. Fighting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always very impressed by people who can study AND find time to read! You guys are amazing! I would be...too exhausted. So I completely understand. In the end, I definitely vote that it comes down to just...blog how you want. Go Loki on it. ;) I would be sad if I had to shut down my blog, but sometimes just backing off on schedule when things are too busy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jules! I completely understand about the pressure. :( It's so hard to balance school and blogging, and I think you're doing a phenomenal job. I think you should do what makes YOU happy. If you want to blog, I'm sure none of us would mind if your posting was sporadic as long as you continued blogging. If you want to take a hiatus, I'm sure everyone would understand that too.

    I think the tips you've mentioned for handling blogging pressure are absolutely wonderful, and I'm sure they will help a TON of people who are in your shoes or who will be soon. Thanks for sharing, and WONDERFUL post! Keep us updated, okay? ❤ I hope college is going well for you! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. So awesome that you're enjoying school, Jules! <33 I'm so sorry that I haven't commented in forever! Totally miss your posts, but of course, no pressure! This post's absolutely fantastic, though! For me, it's high school + 2 blogs.. I'm barely keeping up, and sometimes, nahihiya (LOL, sorry not sorry for the Tagalog!) na ako kay Faye since I'm unable to post as frequently as I did when I first started co-blogging with her. x_x

    But school will always come first! No way am I letting my grades drop. The community is very accepting, and even if you only post once a month, we're here to support your posts, girl! <3

    Good luck with college, and yes, HAVE FUN, okay? (But don't have too much fun without me.)

    *BIG HUGGLES*

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!