August 30, 2014

Book Review: One, Two, Three by Elodie Nowodazkij

One, Two, Three by Elodie Nowodazkij (3 Stars)

Add to Goodreads
I received a copy of this book from the author. My receiving a free copy does not affect my opinion of the book.

When seventeen-year-old Natalya’s dreams of being a ballerina are killed in a car accident along with her father, she must choose: shut down—like her mother—or open up to love.

Last year,seventeen-year-old Natalya Pushkaya was attending the School of Performing Arts in New York City. Last year, she was well on her way to becoming a professional ballerina. Last year, her father was still alive.

But a car crash changed all that—and Natalya can’t stop blaming herself. Now, she goes to a regular high school in New Jersey; lives with her onetime prima ballerina, now alcoholic mother; and has no hope of a dance career.

At her new school, however, sexy soccer player Antonio sees a brighter future for Natalya, or at least a more pleasant present. Keeping him an arabesque away proves to be a challenge for Natalya and his patient charms eventually draw her out of her shell.

When upsetting secrets come to light and Tonio’s own problems draw her in, Natalya shuts down again, this time turning to alcohol herself.

Can Natalya learn to trust Antonio before she loses him—and destroys herself?

MY OPINION

When I try to round up everything that I think makes this book good. I think of a few nice things, but that’s all I could tell about it. It was “nice”.

And I mean it in a “okay-but-not-okay” way. I personally think that this book would’ve been better, but my expectations were a bit high, so I was bit disappointed. Just a little bit. The story was not as unique as I thought it would be. I was expecting most of the things that would happen (almost all of them were right) I wasn’t all impressed with the plot twists because it wasn’t surprising enough for me. Although I do appreciate the mix of languages and terms here. Mixing Italian(Not sure. ?) and German to the book gave it a much more unique appeal, and I liked it for that, because it gave them more character. And I loved how they describe the ballet aspects of it. But it didn’t help that much because I personally couldn’t connect myself to the characters.

Yes, when they were hurt I felt sad for them, and I was affected in a way. But not much that I could have this personal connection with any of the characters Natalya was blasé to me, though I could feel how much she loved dancing, she was… meh. Even if I wanted to connect with her, to feel her pain. Its not that strong to feel. It was there, but its not enough to draw out a big emotion in me. Tonio was “ehe” I keep making up words for how I feel about them, because I don’t know how to describe it. They were just there. Tonio had the appeal, he had the looks, but I just don’t like him enough. There’s something missing here, to make me empathize with the characters more.

Overall, One Two Three isn’t a bad novel. I can confidently say that it was nice but there’s something big missing in this story. And if you’re asking me if I want to read the sequel. I’m having doubts.

MY LAST NOTE

So far, I think its good. But I'm not interested on reading the sequel based on the ending, but it depends. Especially if I see the sequel as much more interesting that this one. 

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


Young adult author, Elodie Nowodazkij writes the stories swirling in her head during her commuting time.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Twitter | Pinterest 

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, a "meh" book. I'm so sorry you were disappointed, Jules. It must suck to have been absent in blogging for a few weeks and the first review you write has to be a disappointing one :( I hope you get a better one soon, something that really clicks emotionally with you!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3-star reviews are tough, right? The blurb was actually interesting (though it sounds depressing) so I was expecting that it'll be great. I'm sorry that it didn't blow you away. I hope the next book does. :) - Joy @ The Bookshelf Intruder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, it's so annoying when we pick up a book but the ending is disappointing, it's like we reached the very end just for that? I love ballet books though (I should read more of them) but it sounds like the depth of emotion wasn't portrayed too well. Lovely review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a read missing some spark. Like, nothing really sets it apart. Especially when you're already contemplating not reading the next book. That's never a good sign. Thanks for the review. I don't see you post many on GR?? Do you just save them for your blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my TBR too. And now I'm excited and.. dreading it. LOL. I'm part of the tour, that's why. But thanks for the review, Jules! Now I know what to expect :)

    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!