July 27, 2014

Mini-Review: You are Mine by Janeal Falor

You are Mine by Janeal Falor (3 Stars)

Add to Goodreads


Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.



MY OPINION

I think this book falls in the "good enough". Unfortunately, to me, its stuck there. The whole idea of the book was good. I like almost everything to it, but I feel like there's something "missing" in the whole book which made me not appreciate it as much. 

Plot wise the book was unique and good. The whole idea of warlocks, and the "owning of women" (This kinda peeved me though, more one that later), plus the whole council of warlocks. Its fascinating because as much as I read a lot of fantasy novels, its rare for me to read a book that focuses more one warlocks.

But for the characters... eeeeh... they're not really that great for me to really really like them. They were meh, there were some times that they were likeable, but its not consistent. Serena had a rebellious streak. But it seems forced coming from her. Its like she still has her inhibitions in her, so she's not as rebellious as she could be. Zade would've been swoon worthy, but he's a bit silent and poker faced so I don't know what to think of him.

And last of all, the book seemed... like a whole prologue. From the ending, I could see that they book would have a sequel. But did everything in the book had meaning? To me, no. There were some part where you could see some meaning to it, but the whole book seems like an explanation or an introduction to what's going to happen next.

MY LAST NOTE

I think I'll be reading the next book. But it seemed like this should be shorter since it seemed like a whole big prologue. But I have good hopes, because I have a feeling that the next book in the series would be great :D

11 comments:

  1. Eh. This doesn't sound like a book I'd want to read .-. For starters, the cover is so OFF putting. I am sorry but I just don't see how that chicks face screams warlocks! :P

    The idea really sounds intriguing but your review has me convinced this is something I wouldn't enjoy and I just don't have time for books that are good enough :(

    I am sorry you didn't enjoy this more, Jules!!

    Lovely review!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rashika! :) I forgot to add my comment about the cover. I agree, its so weird to me too. I think the second book will be good so I'll be giving it a shot when the time comes :)

      Delete
  2. The cover makes the book look like a Model Autobiography. BLECH. I like the blurb though, sounds so intriguing but based on your review, I feel like you giving it 3 stars is too generous. Haha.

    Awesome review, Jules! :)

    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it 3 stars because I think the sequel would be a good one. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm with Rashika re: this one, the synopsis and the cover just aren't my thing. She looks kinda... weird D: I swear I'm getting the heebee jeebies! >_>

    And besides, it didn't sound like you had a stellar time with this one. I'd rather read something I know my friends enjoyed!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes. Frankly I was annoyed with a lot of thing here, but I think the story would be good. I have good hopes for the next book

      Delete
  4. Since most of reads right now are 3s, I don't think I'll pick this up. To be honest, I am not a fan of witches and warlocks, but I did love wizards (HP!). I need BRILLIANT books to wow me right now. I need to break my 3-streak!

    *super glad to see a new post here!*

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to post something new too Dre! :D I agree. I read a lot of 3 stars one time, but I found a good one after a week so maybe it will happen to you! :D

      Delete
  5. Haha...I agree with Rashika and Faye on this one. It just doesn't seem like it would be something up my alley, you know? I might have considered it more if it was a 5 star read for you, but since it seemed like a prologue to you, I think I'm going to skip it. Thanks for sharing Jules, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! Hope college is going well for you so far! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually requested this months ago on NG and I've read the first chapter (I think) but I just couldn't stand the world that the characters live in. I know this going in which is why I'm questioning myself now why I requested this in the first place but I guess I was curious with the premise. I don't know if I'll continue on though, I might just finally move this to my DNF shelf :( if this is a standalone I would probably finish this but from your review, it's clearly not and I don't think I'm really interested after my initial intruige of the world-building. I'm glad you decided to continue on though! Who knows, the next book on tge seties might be awesome and I might change my mind after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with Rashika; the cover isn't attracting and doesn't tell me anything about the story. I'm not a big fan of warlocks, and I believe this isn't my type of book. ^_^ If it seemed like a prologue then I think this should've been a companion novel and not the first book in the series! Lovely review, Jules!! (。♥‿♥。)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!