June 16, 2014

Idle Chat: What kind of music do readers like?


Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile.

* * *
Music & Books

Everyone would know that since I'm a book blogger that I always read books, but that isn't always the case, because I actually love listening to music as well.

I've been the kind of person that loves drama in books, I love deep dark stories, and I also like love romance to a fault, and I think it reflects on my taste in music as well. Being a hopeless romantic, I've been enamored with a lot of pop/rock music turned accoustics by Youtube artists. Wondering why Youtube? Because a lot of accoustics by these artists tend to be more soulful and emotional, compared to the original (at least to me it is).

Demons by Imagine Dragons is one of the best examples I have. I'm sure some of you might've heard Boyce Avenue, at least once. They're my goto guys for pop/rock/other genre's turned accoustic songs. And Demons is only one of my faves from them. I'm sure everybody who's a reader who've done speed reading once. And when I do that, I usually have background music with it. Up beat, fast and catchy :) And that song is a medley by Pentatonix: Daft Punk.
Its upbeat, fast and impressive. Since its all acapella with no other instruments what so ever. So now, you're probably wondering why I'm sharing to you this post? It just occured to me that a lot of music can be related to books these days, and I think, our taste in music kinda relates and reflects our taste in books as well. I love it when books have that meaning and hidden story in it. I love how it portrays a kind of emotion whether love, hate or desperation. I think it also relates to to book. I love it when a book is emotional and deep as well. And like in books, its pretty rare to find the book and music that could make you cry. I'm not someone who's considered as a "musician" but I can definitely appreciate good music when I hear it. I think that music reflect on our taste in books as well. We are all different, kind of readers and listeners as well. As books are changing, music is changing as well. Have you noticed that a lot of music these days have more sense and meaning to them. Deep things like Pretty Hurts by Beyonce (That was epic :D), I think the song can be related to book as well 'cuz it covers the subject of "insecurity", "the idea of perfection" and "beauty" in its true essence. Like books, music also defines who we are. Because the things that we listen to is usually what we feel in that moment.




You can say that I'm a diverse reader as I enjoy reading a wide variety of genres -- from dystopian to contemporary to fantasy. And I think that reflects on my music taste too. I mainly listen to indie/alternative rock bands such as Florence + The Machine, The 1975, Coldplay, and the lot. But I also listen to pop music when I'm feeling bored or jumpy. Oh and EDM is a guilty pleasure of mine. Classical music is another favourite. So you can also consider me as a diverse music enthusiast.
~ Miguel of The Quirky Reader


When it comes to reading, I'm a sucker for dystopian and post apocalyptic young adult novels. I love a strong, no nonsense heroine, an oppressive government or regime and a revolution brewing, those oppressed finally taking a stand. But when it comes to music, you'd think I'd probably listen to inspiring songs, Eye of The Tiger comes to mind. But no, my taste in music is nothing at all comparable to my favourite book genre. When it comes to music, I'm really laid back. I love Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Wolfmother, The White Stripes, but I love Jeff Buckley. Jeff Buckley drowned in 1997, aged only thirty one. Like any author, he was an artist that brought music to life, telling a story through verses he delivered. The moment I heard Lover, You Should've Come Over (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_eLuk4RjIQ), I was undeniably in love. But my favourite song of all time is without a doubt, Purple Rain by Prince (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJlx8mMQ88). He's known for being eccentric and just downright strange, but no no can doubt what a huge influence he's had on the music industry. But I love old school tracks from the eighties, from Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, to Jodeci and R Kelly of the Nineties. Growing up in that era, I probably won't stray too far from what I know. But like books, I'm always looking for music recommendations.

As long as it isn't a boy band [Just got to say that this made me laugh]

~ Kelly from The Diva Booknerd 
And that ends our discussion post for today, I know that this is not your average bookish post, but books aren't the only things we enjoy, right?

What about you? What kind of music do you love?

23 comments:

  1. Kings of Leon! Gah. That band owns me. Body and soul. While I have a hard time listening to music while I read, I'm a huge collector of vinyl. So my taste in music is all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any vinyl records yet ;( But I can't wait to get one! :D I loved some of their songs, they're so soulful :D

      Delete
  2. I love old songs. 70's, 80's and 90's as long as it is old. Some people say I have poor tastes in music, but I enjoyed my poor tastes. haha! I can't help listening to old songs because my dad always play them.

    Bee Gees, The Carpenters, John Ford Coley & England Dan, The Eagles, The Beatles, Air Supply, The Corrs, The Cardigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell my mom, but I actually like some of the old songs that she plays around the house (Like Love Hurts, or songs from the Bee Gees or Beatles haha), there are a lot of old songs that are gems, :D

      Delete
  3. Ooh yes Eye of the Tiger is a great one :D I do love listening to music on YouTube as well, some really awesome artists there.

    Lovely post! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of Youtube artists out there who are so unnoticed, but they have great talent :D

      Delete
  4. I love theatre, so some of my favorite songs are from musicals, but I do love some occasional pop song. :) I absolutely love Eye of the Tiger as well! :D

    Thanks for sharing Jules, and, as always, BRILLIANT post! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Yes! I love a lot of songs from Musicals, they're so dramatic and full of life, thanks Zoe <3

      Delete
  5. I usually listen to classical music, and honestly, I don't know what new songs are currently "in" now haha! Usually, other than Bach or Pachelbel, my playlist consists of movie OSTs and songs from shows that I watch, or songs that catch my attention. I think I'll have to include Demons now too haha!


    Ella @ The Filipina Booknote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to classical music too! <3 I use them whenever I'm painting, do you have any recs for me Ella? :D

      Delete
    2. My favorite is Bach :) Cello suite no. 1 in G major.

      Delete
  6. Ack, I'm not a huge music person. >_< I do like listening to pop songs (the popular ones) and that's about it. I CAN'T listen to music while reading. I'll get really distracted and will either only read or only listen to the song lyrics... But yeah, hopeless romantic songs for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard All of Me by John Legend yet? Aimee! That song made me cry, you could really feel it haha :D

      Delete
  7. I'm an oldie at heart, so I love a lot of the old ones, although I think that's because I grew up listening to them being sung over and over and over again in the stereo of my dad's car. Haha! But as for modern ones, I'm pretty in love with the latest pop music. It's not that I find them brilliant, I just find them catchy, and wouldn't mind listening to them on replay. I also love space ambient music. Like I seriously listen to it all the time. No voices or anything, just electronic music that's like traveling in the stars ^^

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that you like anything space themed. Space inspired covers, and now music. :D

      Delete
  8. Loved the feature Jules! I tell you, I seen Boyce Avenue on YouTube around three years ago (give or take) and fell completely in love. They hadn't been signed or touring yet, but their covers were phenomenal, some of the songs they covered I actually didn't like the originals, but they're just so laid back that it really gave them a new lease on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're making it big now Kelly! They once went here in PH, but I had school then so I couldn't go anyway. They're definitely a gem :D

      Delete
  9. To be honest, I kind of find acoustic versions to be boring... But that's just me, and I know I'm in the minority here! I much prefer rock and pop with lots of drums and bass -- basically anything upbeat. I wouldn't mind sad songs, though. :P For example, I love Imagine Dragons (have you heard their song "Battle Cry" yet? IT'S AWESOME), Lana Del Rey (my obsession with her is borderline crazy), Lorde, Adele, Icona Pop, Mo, Nirvana -- all that kind of stuff.

    But thanks for sharing your music! I'll go listen to more acoustic versions of songs -- who knows, I might grow to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVEN'T HEARD BATTLE CRY YET. 0.o (I'll go check it out sooner!)

      I've been meaning to hear some song from Lana, my schoolmates rave about her, I'm getting curious. I haven't heard of Nirvana yet, maybe I'll check it out! :D

      Its okay to not like some music, we all had different tastes. I like rock too, just not really really intense rock, XD

      Delete
  10. Books definitely aren't all we enjoy. I like that cover band they do really cool covers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting topic Jules, I actually love a whole heap of different genres that really bring about the emotions when I need it. I love my pop, my love ballads, r&B and even heavy metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, I haven't really listened to a lot of heavy metal, but I found some that I actually like :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!