June 27, 2014

Book Review: What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn (2 Stars)


Add to Goodreads




Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He’s seen firsthand getting together never means staying together.

And then he falls in love…

With the last girl he would expect…

Totally not in his game plan.

Suddenly, Sebastian finds himself muddled in the game he’s always prided himself on. He can’t even pick up girls at parties anymore! Why would anyone want to be in love when it turns you into a stuttering, screwed-up, mess with really lame stalker tendencies? Stalking? Totally not his gig.

But the Hook-up Doctor won’t let himself go down easily. He’s always known how to give a girl what she wants and now it’s time to figure out what a boy wants… and he definitely plans on getting it.


MY OPINION

He’s a guy who’s an expert at hooking up, he has advised other people how to get the guy they wanted. And yet, he seems dense on understanding his own feelings. And that just pains me a lot. =.=

Plot wise, its pretty simple and predictable. Pacing was okay too. But it just had to have the most densest guy ever, does it? :)

It pains me how painfully stupid this guy is with his feelings. Sebastian (too bad he’s so dense, he has a pretty name) is “The Hook-Up Doctor” (<--- that sounds way too conceited btw) and he gives advise to those who email him on how to snag the guy that they want. Then suddenly he’s the one needing advise.

I won’t bother trying to explain bit by bit what happened in this book. But long story short, he did a lot of stupid, conceited things. Reading other romance books, I always thought that guys knew what they want. And when they realize what they want, they will fight hard to get it. But with Sebastian, he was just so dense and stupid with his actions. I don’t mind a bit of douchebaggery as long as its tolerable, but what he’s doing is just plain stupid. Here’s one basic thing you should do when you want a/the girl to like you: "Do not do anything that would hurt her or make her cry". Simple as that, but not only did Sebastian hurt her, he also tried using the jealousy tactic with her.

And my reaction was:
”Really?! Why did you do that?
Seriously, Y U DO DAT?!”




It just made me cringe how his relationship with the girl went downhill because of his actions. Granted I understand that he’s scared of his feelings, but he was still pretty dense to not have known that he would hurt the girl with what he was doing.

But there was a plus side to this book. I loved how their friends are. They were supportive and very blunt. I think honesty is a great trait in friendship. You would easily see what their motives are when they’re like that. They instantly showed their distaste towards Sebastian’s actions. I think they played a great role so that he would understand how unreasonable his actions were.

MY FINAL NOTE

I wanted to like it, and I think I did. But remembering how douche-y Bastian just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. So let’s just say that he and his action were the major reason why I didn’t like this book so much.

27 comments:

  1. Although I've enjoyed a few books that is about a douchey guy falling in love, I don't think I would like this one...mainly because from your review, he sounds so dense that I might end up wanting to hit him. Hopefully your next book will be better Jules! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually sent him a virtual sucker punch. He's just so dense and annoying -.-"

      Delete
  2. Er. Pass. I'm a bit exhausted from reading tiresome, impulsive, doing-before-thinking characters. So as much as I've spent money on this book ( I think I have it somewhere), I guess this book is not going to get read anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this because I had a friend that liked it, so I guess it depends on who reads it.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I feel frustrated just reading your review. And just the title?!! "What a boy wants?" What message is THAT sending? Ugh. Again. Anyway...I'm always frustrated when narrators are completely clueless. -_-
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! By the title you would think that he at least would know what he wants, and then his stupidity... ugh...

      Delete
  4. I am totally laughing :P This sounds a little like Hitch but I am guessing worse because dense teens. Sebastian is a pretty name but it sounds like he doesn't worry his pretty little head about how his actions affect other people (I AM SORRY. I HAD TO SAY THAT).

    Fantastic review, Jules! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought that guys with Sebastian as name has a gentlemanly quality to them, but meh, he's just ugh... I know he did not even think what his actions would do those around him.

      Delete
  5. You know, that's really such a contrived concept... Giving advices like one relationship master, only not to know (and I say that quite literally) about this own problem unfolding before him. I don't really "hate" it in real life, but it's very annoying if I'm being honest. So, yeah. A pass for me as well. Unfortunately.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very annoying how dense he was :/

      Delete
  6. Teens sure do make a lot of stupid mistakes, but there are just those that are waaay to annoying to forgive. Those usually affect my ratings too. And is he a kindergartener? Hurting the girl he likes. I think honest and blunt friends are really good too. They help a lot in bettering one's self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? :/ Its cute when boy toddlers annoy girls to get their attention, but when you're 15 yrs old above, and you that, it just becomes immature. It was a good thing they had good friends, or else I might've pulled my hair too hard because of his actions >:(

      Delete
  7. I felt exactly the same when I read this one, and half an hour after finishing it, I couldn't remember any of the characters names. It was just that forgettable. It was like Hitch, the Will Smith movie where the teacher suddenly becomes the student etc. Thank goodness it was only a quick read. I don't know why so many on my friends list gushed over how great it was. Awesome review, couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is a mystery to me! My friend recommended that I read this one, said that it was good and all. I only remembered Sebastian because his name is on the blurb and because I think his name is pretty <3

      Delete
  8. Ahh argh no, not into douche bag hook up doctors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAH! Too conceited for our tastes :>

      Delete
  9. Yeah... NO. The synopsis in itself is making my brain spasm. ;P Seriously, I do not want to read a book about a guy who calls himself the "hook-up doctor." That's just wrong and tacky on so many levels...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I rolled my eyes, when I read it >:(

      Delete
  10. Oh man, where to start. I think I'll pass on this one. I have had enough bad reads lately to not want to risk it. I'd probably want to smack the kid upside the head and then have a long sit down with his parent. Let's TEACH our children about LOVE vs. lust and about how to care for each other, and how to get to know someone before saying you are in love with them. Okay, I haven't even read it and I am on a soap box! Dismounting now, end of rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I definitely agree on that. All of us should teach our children (or in my case, future children) the difference between love and lust or attraction. I don't want my future child to end up being confused or hurting someone else she/he loves. :D

      Delete
  11. This book reminds me of The Breakup Artist by Philip Siegle, but I think this was worse compared to that. I think I'll pass on this one because right now because the cover itself was already like a banner telling me to run away lol
    What's with his way of wooing girls?? I thought he was a hookup artist? Maybe more of a hookdown artist lol

    Ella @ The Filipina Booknote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! True kinda stupid that you can make other relationships work, but yours you wouldn't understand. I thought The Breakup Artist was good based one the cover, but when I read the blurb, it was an instant no for me. :(

      Delete
  12. I think I'll pass on this as well Jules! :( I just don't want to read a book that doesn't have a good moral or a positive message, you know? Nonetheless, thanks for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! :) i know! I wasn't peeved from the cover as well. But I wanted to see if it was good. Too bad tho :(

      Delete
    2. It's definitely a shame because it looks like it could have been a really solid novel! Hopefully your next read will work better for you Jules! <33

      ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

      Delete
  13. Gah Bastian does sound kind of douchey and if you could see why things happened the way they did because of his actions, I guess it was hard to emphasise with the character. Great review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh, I really want to hit the guy. I mean, yeah, he gives other people advice on how to get the person they want, yeah? THEN WHY DOES HE NOT FOLLOW HIS OWN ADVICE? I- No. Just. No. I'd be pulling my hair out through this so yeah, *high fives* you finished it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!