June 12, 2014

Book Review: True by Erin McCarthy

True (True Believers #1) by Erin McCarthy (2 Stars)




When Rory Macintosh’s roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they’ll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job…unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he’s not good enough for Rory. She’s smart, doctor smart, while he’s barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can’t resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There’s something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn’t…

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler’s broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost…

MY OPINION

Meh. I feel meh about this book, and too bad because I was really interested on this one. But its not really bad, I just didn’t see what I wanted to see.

I expected myself to swoon over how sweet their relationship is. To feel protective of the heroine, or something tragic, etc, etc. This book provided great content, the problem is that its not what I expected.

The plot of the book was different compared to the other books that I’ve read with the same “feel” as this book. And in a way I appreciate that. The pacing was also just right. But there is a lack in drama in this book. Which is weird since the blurb itself shows that there would be dramatic situation in it.

I’m also not a big fan of the characters. I hate Rory’s friends, to me, its one thing to arrange your friend to date someone, but them paying him to date her is just mean. I know that they did that out of concern, but did they not think of what she would feel when she finds out? *face slap*. Then there’s Rory, to me Rory seems kinda bland as a character, I don’t know what to make of her, and I don’t really remember her much. Travis(<-- This was a typo, sorry D:)  Tyler, in all fairness, was actually swoon worthy. The way he loves and cares for his brothers is so sweet. He would do anything to make sure they’re safe and cared for. But in his twisted martyred way, he thinks he’s unworthy of Rory (In a way I understand why he feels like this, but it still annoys me) and went away to distance himself from her. Only to end up with her in the end.

I don’t get that. I mean, if you love her that much, and if you think you are unworthy. Them make yourself worthy, change the wrong ways of your life. BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOURSELF. Running away, will not do you good, it will only lead to depression.



MY FINAL NOTE

Me giving this a two star isn’t necessarily bad. To me, it was just an “okay” book, and even though I wanted to love it. Its just wasn’t for me. But I am definitely sure that somebody else would love it more that I did :)

14 comments:

  1. Those do not sound like friends I would want....
    I mean what kind of friends actually do that? O_O *rolls her eyes*

    This was never really on my radar but I have seen this around and I really don't think it's something I will like. Travis sounds like someone who would really annoy me since I hate the 'I am not good enough for you' trope :/

    I am sorry you didn't like this better though, Jules! :(

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I mean, its insulting to have someone payed to date you. :( Even if its out of concern.

      BTW, I made a typo, his name is Tyler (Lol sorry D: ). I agree, I hate this martyred types. Reminds me of Edward Cullen when he ran from Bella :P

      Delete
  2. Paying someone to date someone else?! That really does sound mean... it feels even more superficial and impersonal, because that person did it for the money or were only obligated to do :( And I agree - if you feel like the other person is getting the shorter end of the stick by being with you, then make yourself a better person. If not for her, but at least for yourself, so you won't feel guilty of being inferior or not worthy enough. Great review, Jules! <3 Hope you have a better read next time!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of sticking to fantasy books this time Faye. Some contemporary books I picked up was just plain annoying :/

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, that is really sad and demeaning to pay someone to date them :( Rory definitely does not sound swoony. Thanks for the review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeann, I know. I was pulling my hair out. haha :D

      Delete
  4. I always complain about books having too much drama, so... A LACK OF DRAMA?

    "I don’t get that. I mean, if you love her that much, and if you think you are unworthy. Then make yourself worthy, change the wrong ways of your life. BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOURSELF." Amen, Jules! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I was really irritated about it. Had to say it :D

      Delete
  5. Is this one New Adult? Gosh, they all sound the same don't they, it's no wonder you called him Travis! LOL. Usually they're so chock full of drama, but too little and this is the result. Why oh why can't we find any good NA books, Jules why! Great review hun, helps to weed out what not to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know! I just typed that subconsciously, I only noticed when I published it. Hahaha :D I've read a lot of bad NA right now. So I'm running to Fantasy for a greater read :D

      Delete
  6. When I don't like the characters it makes it near impossible for me to enjoy a book. Those friends don't sound like smart ones.

    Hey Jules, Tina says she was having a hard time commenting are her comments going spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I just saw her comment :D

      I know. I was so frustrated with them, they have no ill intentions, but what they did was just mean >.<

      Delete
  7. Seems like a very typical YA plot line, something I would enjoy if I was in exactly the right mood. Although, most of the time if I am in that very particular mood I will grab something I have already read and know I'll love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. Even if I have a reading schedule. I stop it when some book I've been waiting for is published :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!