June 2, 2014

Book Review: Prom Impossible by Laura Pauling

Prom Impossible by Laura Pauling (2.5 stars)


Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the copy of this book. My receiving a copy does not affect my review and opinion, in any way.

1 girl + 1 prom + 3 guys = Prom Impossible!

Cassidy decides her senior year, including prom, will be about Michael Greenwood, the boy destined to be her soul mate. One problem. He hasn’t figured that out yet.

But certain events meant as innocent pranks—that weren’t completely her fault—introduce her to Zeke, the reformed bad boy. And cutting deals in the boys’ bathroom with Jasper, the hottest guy in school, lands her in a complicated web of half-truths that spirals out of control.

At the end of the year, she’s dateless the day before the big night but risks a lot more than her pride if she can’t find a way to fix her mistakes.

PROM IMPOSSIBLE is a modern-day Shakespearean romantic comedy in the world of teens, true love, and life.


MY OPINION

I don’t even know how to comprehend my experience of reading this book. It kinda made me feel bipolar, ‘cuz one moment, I was smiling, and then the next I’m having face slap moment. *sigh*

I can’t say that the plot of the book is good, for me, I kinda expected what would happen, but sometimes Cassidy(the main character) is just plain crazy that what she does is completely different to what the right thing to do, pacing was pretty long for me, there were times where I skimmed, just a few pages, because Cassidy tends to blabber out long sentences when she’s nervous. Which happens a lot. I don’t really have a problem with the technicalities of this book. I just have a major problem about one particular character. Which is Cassidy.

I don’t know why she thinks this way, and why she seems to have different way of handling problems. She had the most unreasonable plans ever, it was so insensitive that even I felt bad for the people around her. She’s funny as a character, but sometimes, she’s selfish and is a really big brat. Its kinda weird ‘cuz Jules, her friend, who is much more rich/popular than her, is much more mature and sensitive towards other people’s feelings.

What I hated most about what Cassidy did was [Big Spoiler: when she used Jasper to make Michael jealous] I know that its consensual but still, she’s still inconsiderate of what would Jasper feel. Granted Jasper isn’t really THE BEST guy around (tho he is popular and famous with the ladies) he still doesn’t deserve what Cassidy did. There was another thing I noticed about Cassidy, and that’s her lack of contentment towards life, sure she has a lot of friends in the higher circle, but I don’t get why she would go to extreme things to go there. Trying to climb the social ladder is okay, but it gets bad when you’re hurting and stepping on other people

There could have been a million other ways for her to solve her problems, all without risk and to at least not LIE. But she chose to lie anyway, and to hide from all the consequences from her actions. As I continued reading about her struggle to be with Michael for Prom, all I see is how it destroyed her relationship with her friends, and doing things that I think was illegal? :/

And all this because she wanted a boy to notice her. I don’t want to be mean about it, but I don’t understand why she thought Michael was her soulmate. Michael was cute, yes, but I’m enamored with him much. Jasper was pretty douchey and stand-offish, Zeke, of course I loved Zeke from the start, because he seemed to really care for Cassidy despite her crazy antics, but Cassidy never noticed until its too late. Typical *face slap*

But even if this book confused my aching brain, its not THAT bad for me to hate it, in fact, I like it half of the time, (that's why my rating is a 2.5). It amused me, and it has situations where teen could relate. So overall, its not really that bad of a novel.

MY FINAL NOTE

Reading this book was pretty much an okay experience for me, I don’t have any real problems with anyone beside Cassidy and the things that she did. But who knows, maybe others will like this better than I did.

18 comments:

  1. I don't think I can deal with a book with THREE guys, haha. Cassidy sounds like an idiot and I'd probably rant all day if I read this book. Based on the synopsis, it sounds like Zeke would be the one I'd hate, but I don't know... ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, yes I kinda understand that Cassidy is kinda bit of an idiot. haha, I actually liked Zeke! He gave an effort to know her dude! :D

      Delete
  2. It sucks when the main issue is the main character, it's a big deal for me when I can't even root for the hero and heroine because they make annoying actions and decisions. I can understand why you would have issues with Cassidy though, she does sound selfish and a bit shallow from your review but I'm glad that except for her, the book was okay overall. Great review Jules :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is just so stubborn and bratty, I was pulling my hair, it her attitude was better, I would've loved this book. :/

      Delete
  3. Awful female protagonists can really ruin a book for me too. They're usually the reason I DNF. Haha. Looks like Cassidy is a contender. I don't know if I'll ever read this one, but at least I'll know to watch out. :P I feel like a lot went down in this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOT OF THINGS WENT DOWN. MY FOREHEAD WAS RED. 0.o

      Delete
  4. Yikes, sounds like I'd have a huge problem with Cassidy, and that probably would ruin the book for me too because I really just hate characters that act like that. The kind that doesn't see what the hell they're doing, ugh. I don't read many like this one anyway, but I read Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas and loved it (when I thought I wouldn't) it done the whole thing right, and was such a fun one. Shame about this one though, you know, it sounded like a light fluffy one that's just right for some quick mindless reading, not one that would annoy you, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! I thought it was funny with a lot of awkward funny moments, but all of it, was just plain baddd.

      Delete
  5. I echo the sentiments of the other people here. If a heroine is someone who's just so unreasonable without good reason, it makes it so hard to connect to her in a personal way. Such instances oftentimes result to a lack of fulfillment, and I oftentimes end up feeling underwhelemed. I don't think I'll be enjoying this one, I'm afraid.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Even I was irritated, I'm sure you'll be as well.

      Delete
  6. Ughhhhh Cassidy sounds like a horrible main character. I don't know I could even read this book without banging my head on the wall.

    I am sorry you didn't enjoy this more :(

    Lovely review though, Jules!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't bang my head, thank goodness, but I did a lot of face slaps, haha, does that count? :D

      Delete
  7. It goes without saying that lying won't get you far. UGH. I don't think I can even deal with 3 guys! One guy can already become a huge headache, but 3? Will skip this book. With my reading slump, this will probably frustrate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a problem with three guys, I didn't feel like Cassidy actually had a love rectangle with the three guys anyway.

      Delete
  8. I would have probably hated this book if it wasn't for the hilarious and really awkward moments. Cassidy reminds me a little of Rebecca Bloomwood from the Shopaholic series. She's an immature character who, like Becky, can be annoying sometimes but made me smile from time to time... I agree with you, Cassidy could have done things differently with Jasper, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, lol, he's a really big jerk. ^_^

    It was nice to read your thoughts, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even tho he was a "victim" in a way, he was still douchey so he kinda deserved it :D

      Delete
  9. Being able to connect to a main character is a major part of enjoying a book, I'm sorry you weren't able to connect with Cassidy much, because that would have annoyed you all the way through. Lovely review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, :) But oddly enough, even tho I am irritated at her, I can't make myself hate her. Does that make sense? :)

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!