June 19, 2014

Book Review: The Destiny of Violet and Luke by Jessica Sorensen

The Destiny of Violet & Luke by Jessica Sorensen (3.5 Stars)




Luke Price's life has always been about order, control, and acting tough on the outside. For Luke, meaningless relationships are a distraction-a way to tune out the twisted memories of his childhood. He desperately wishes he could forget his past, but it haunts him no matter what he does.

Violet Hayes has had a rough life. When she was young, she was left with no family and the memory of her parents' unsolved murders. She grew up in foster homes, living with irresponsible parents, drugs, and neglect, and trying to fight the painful memories of the night her parents were taken from her. But it's hard to forget when she never got closure-and she can't stop dreaming about what happened that tragic night. To make it through life, she keeps her distance from everyone and never allows herself to feel anything.

Then Violet meets Luke. The two clash instantly, yet they can't seem to stay away from each other. Although they fight it, they both start to open up and feel things they've never felt before. They discover just how similar they are. But they also discover something else: The past always catches up with you . . .



MY OPINION

When I first knew that the this book was about Luke’s story, I thought it would have a lot of angst. It did have that, but the tragic-ness of their story is more dominant. And the emotion demands it to be felt >.< Reading the book was a bit off for me. It was good at the first half, but it just shows how they are as an individual. And their personality kinda disturbs me. I got to see what their “dark” secrets, and what they do to forget it. And the people who surrounds them. But it wasn’t until I got to the last half of the book, when their actual secrets were revealed. And when I got to know it, I knew that there would be a big plot twist that would blow my mind. And guess what? There was one. The Destiny of Violet & Luke, plot wise is actually good. There were a lot of instances where it would make you wonder just what these characters would do. Pacing was a 50-50, because the first half wasn’t really that interesting, but it doesn’t have any fillers in it either. But the last half was the most interesting because I finally got to understand them as characters.

Violet and Luke have really… disturbing pasts. And they do a lot of disturbing things to forget their past. I’m more worried about Violet as a character, she seems unstable and dangerous for herself. I understand why she does it. Just to forget her problem, but its seriously affecting her health and safety. To me, Violet has more issues that Luke here. Although they have both “damaged” history, Luke seems to control it somewhat better than Violet.

But that ending. Ohmighad, A HUGE CLIFFHANGER. As in, I was so high on adrenaline after what happened and then POOF! finished. -.-“ I don’t know what I should feel about that. It kinda frustrated me when that cliffhanger happened, but at the same time it made me excited to read the sequel.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

If you want to know the secret behind Violet’s attitude and the burden that Luke hides, then I guess you’d like this more. I’m not really that amazed by the plot of the book, and the characters aren’t likeable in my terms. But I still can’t wait to read the sequel.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Jessica Sorensen is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author from the snowy mountains of Wyoming. When she's not writing, she spends her time reading and hanging out with her family.

CONNECT WITH HER 

Website | TwitterFacebook

26 comments:

  1. For some reason, when Sorensen writes stories for the side characters, it just doesn't work.

    Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I haven't read her other books yet, but right now... meh....

      Delete
  2. I started off really loving this series, but it's just turned into a messy sex fest now for me. All the characters seem to be damaged and pretty much too similar to one another. I'd love to see at least one character that's somewhat put together really. We aren't all emotional messes that are unstable and damaged are we? :D
    Great review Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I get being hurt and damaged. But they were unstable and that was just disturbing. 0.o

      Delete
  3. Hmm...I haven't started this series yet, but it sounds intriguing, if not a little disturbing at times. You've definitely intrigued me Jules - even though this probably wouldn't be my typical reading material! Thanks for sharing, and, as always, BRILLIANT review!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole series is dark, but I don't really connect with this book in particular. But I did okay with the first ones :D

      Delete
  4. I've only read 1 Sorensen book but I haven't tried any of her contemporaries yet although I am curious about them at times. I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers in contemporaries too, maybe when I get the chance I will try the first book that started it all and go from there.

    I don't mind dark or damaged characters but I'm not a big fan of super heavy angst. So I'm not sure about this one but I'll def give the series a shot. Awesome review Jules <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really angsty book, but the whole series in general is pretty dark, but I think the first is more... easy to handle :)

      Delete
  5. I've always been on the fence about Jessica Sorensen's books. I've read a couple of them but they've never rocked my socks off, you know? But I'm a sucker for angsty stories and you had me at TRAGIC-ness! :-) Who knows, maybe I will take a gamble and add this to my TBR. Fabulous review Jules! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like it Cristina! :D

      Even if I didn't like it, I know that a lot of people would appreciate it more than I did :D

      Delete
  6. I've been thinking about starting her NA's, but never do. I've flicked through one of her YA, but just didn't really interest me. Does sound disturbing though, I kind of like disturbing in books, depending on how how disturbing. Kind of have a feeling that I wouldn't like that one though... HATE CLIFF-HANGERS.

    I see you're reading Girl of Nightmares. EEEK! Can't wait to see what you think of it. :) Love Kendare Blake. Seriously, I'll read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you ;) I love reading dark ones too, but sometimes I have my limits. Don't we all? THE CLIFFHANGER WAS ANNOYING, it just happened and I wasn't prepared. 0.o

      I'm liking Girl of Nightmares so far, but I haven't seen Anna yet :(

      Delete
  7. I've loved the first two books of Callie & Kayden and I was excited to start this until I heard about the cliffhanger. Jessica Sorensen LOVES her cliffhangers, and I hate them! I'm happy to hear in spite of the downsides of this story you still are anxious for the next book. I will wait until the books are released before continuing. Wonderful review, Jules! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. YES! Her cliffhangers were just shocking and sometimes annoying haha XD, but I still love them. Tho I'm excited to read more of this, but I hope it won't get to depressing, I'm not sure if I can handle it.

      Delete
  8. Wow, sounds like a lot of things were unlikable here but you still ended up enjoying it. Great to hear Jules! I haven't read a Jessica Sorensen book but recently picked one up at the bookfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What book is it? I hope you'll like it. I've wondered that myself. I guess it just helped that the history and questions I had was answered, that's why I liked it.

      Delete
    2. The book I have is The Secret of Ella and Micha. Have you read that one?

      Delete
    3. Not yet, but I'm planning to. :D I'm kinda wondering if I'll like that better than this series :D

      Delete
  9. Wow, this sounds like a really dark book -- something I think I'd like, just as long as it doesn't have too much drama or any of that instalove crap. I'm actually really interested in what these disturbing things Violet does to keep her problems at bay are. But I love that plot-wise this book was good! I haven't had much luck with NA myself (with a few exceptions, like Pushing the Limits, Dare You To, and The Sea of Tranquility), because their plots are mostly the same, but this one sounds... different, for some reason. More serious, and less of those common tropes we see.

    And whoa, plot twist! I like that even though you expected it, it still managed to shock you like nothing else. And nooo, I hope that cliffhanger was worth it! I always feel like authors these days use cliffies as a convenient way to get readers to read their next book, but it sounds like the cliffy here was not too bad. :P

    Anyway, glad that you enjoyed this, Jules! I hadn't heard of this before your review, but I'm definitely interested now. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check it out someday. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read those three books. I think Sea of Tranquility is the best among the three. It doesn't really have a lot of eye roll worthy drama so I think it'll be good.

      The plot twist was definitely devastating for me, I wanted to hug them because of how tragic it was. As for the cliffhanger, it made me want to read the next book NOW!. Haha, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

      Thanks Meg :)

      Delete
  10. I didn't like this at all. I know what you mean about the twist and it was so predictable that it lost the shock value. Especially since I had just read The Temptation of Lila and Ethan and had loved that thoroughly, but this one was so similar to Lila and Ethan--the plot, the characters, the drug stuff, the back-and-forth, the dark pasts? UGH. They were so similar. Oh my goooood. The cliffy too. Just. It could have easily been one book that could have been a tad bigger and solved--I don't really get why there needs to be a second book for this story. I really hope you like the sequel and perhaps the characters will grow on you more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, instead of just giving small hints, there were a lot of signs that will lead you to knowing the twist. Really? I was planning to read that series as well, some did say that Lila and Ethan's story was pretty annoying (It has drugs? Doesn't it have a pretty and light cover? haha :D). I hope so too, I hope I'll get to connect with them, not just know their story.

      Delete
  11. I hate cliff hangers! Pretty much I will frequently knock a whole star off if a cliff hanger is used at the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Haha, I don't mind it really, but sometimes they're just annoying. hahaha :D

      Delete
  12. Sounds a little dark to me...and if it's dark, it had better be GOOD for me to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better try reading The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden! This would be a bit of a spoiler if you read it before, The Coincidence.

      Thanks for visiting Stephanie! :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!