May 2, 2014

Top Three's: Things I learned from books that made me cry


Top Three's is a feature here @ Jules Bookshelf where I list three bookish or non-bookish things from my mind.

* * *

Hi guys! This will be my second post for Top Three's and my topic for today is...

Things I learned from books that made me cry



I know, its kind of a long title, but this is my topic for today. :D Here is the list of books that made me cry (and by cry, I mean sobbing and begging). In order of dates' I've read them.
  1. Slammed by Colleen Hoover
  2. Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
  3. The Edge of Never by J.A Redmerski
  4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
  5. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
  6. The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
And to give you an explanation, I wanted to share to you why some of this books touched my heart like puppy and made me bawl like a newborn baby  (<--- Oooh, that kinda rhymes hahaha)

1.) It made me remember just how much I loved my friends and family

[Slammed, Point of Retreat and The Catastrophic] 


It made me remember just how much I love my parents. I've never been the affectionate or showy kind of a daughter, I say "thank you" and "I love you" but not publicly, never in front of other people. Reading these books reminded me just how much I appreciate my parents.

I don't show it a lot, and I rarely ever talk about my parents to any of my friends. But I do love them a lot because they're the ones who supported me with reading and blogging. Most of my books were even sponsored by them. So obviously stating, the love and connection that the characters from these books had touched me.

Click the covers of Slammed and Point of Retreat for my reviews
and The Catastrophic for my review found @ Say It With Books



Slammed was the first book that ever made me cry like a newborn baby. I can't say that it would make a lot of readers cry like me, but something about Slammed called to me. Layken's love for her mom and younger brother made me connect with her deeper than your ordinary heroine. Even though I don't have a younger brother, I relate to Lake so much because like her, I have the almost the same relationship she has with her mother. Tho different at the same time. But me and Lake both love our mother so much. I also connected with The Catastrophic History of You and Me because of this. Brie's closeness with her father is very touching and relating. I felt what she felt like when her family became like that (Those are spoiler so I will not share ;D)

In terms of friends, I also connected with these books. The friends they had were all like what I have in real life. I was suddenly reminded that I am surrounded with all these amazing people that swarm me with kindness, acceptance and love. And that's hard to find in the world right now. Point of Retreat and The Catastrophic had awesome friends in there. Who does not love an awesome friend?

2.) I learned just how much I appreciate how I live my life

[ The Catastrophic, The Fault in our Stars, The Edge of Never, Me Before You]


Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed or sad about my life. But sometimes, life tends to feel meh and basic. But reading these books reminded me just how precious life is and how much I shouldn't take things for granted.

 Click the covers for the reviews found here and @ Say it With Books



Life for me sometimes tend to be tiring and so fast-paced and sometimes I forget to treasure every moment and to reflect on my life. But these books reminded me just how much I treasure every moment in life. All these books have something the same, and I guess these 4 reminded me of how much important life is.

Plus these books also had the best people in it!

3.) These books taught me to be myself

[The Edge of Never and Me Before You]


I've always been different compared to others. Though I don't know why. But in these books I've seen and I've been reminded that it doesn't matter if I'm different compared to other people. And I always remember that I would be the best version of myself if I am myself. And if I act just the way I am.

* * *

Well, that's my top three for this month :D
How about you? What did you learn from books?

18 comments:

  1. Woah.. great post Jules! I agree, novels have taught me such beautiful lessons that I will forever be thankful for. They have taught me what it is to be brave, how lucky I am to be healthy and have a family who loves me (IF I STAY JUST REINFORCED THIS *cue the waterworks*) Books have shown me that life is too short to hang on to things that I can't change, what it is to, like you said, be myself and be loud and proud about it. But, most of all they have shown me what is to stand up for what I believe in, others, and most especially, myself. Aaand be a badass while doing so even though I can't wield swords or have any epic archery skills :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! I agree! A lot of books taught us great lessons! :D

      Glad to see you like me, learning too! hahahaha :D

      Delete
  2. Well, book realizations make me stare out the windows for hours, thinking about life. They never really made me cry, despite the fact that I am a HUGE book crier. Character deaths, angst, fatal diseases--those make me cry. But I really love how realizing things makes you tear up, Jules! :D And a lot of these titles are NA... a genre in which I do not feel, haha! x) Anyway, awesome post, girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know, tho I think you should try Me Before You, technically its adult fiction, but its very very very good! Thanks Aimee! :D

      Delete
  3. Books do this a lot to me, too. I do learn new things about myself, and about life. Sometimes when I finish a really good book, I tend to reflect on my life and think about the things that I need to improve on, or change. Lovely post, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that as well! :D I think that's the best thing books do to its readers :D

      Delete
  4. Very great and heartfelt post, Jules. It's amazing when books are so special they move us this way. For me, a mark of a great book is when they are able to touch us and impart to us many values about life, things we can apply in the real world. I'm happy to know you've found such in these books. Read GOLEM AND THE JINNI by Helene Wecker! It made me think deeply, too! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I should check that out! :D I know learning something from books is the best feeling :D

      Delete
  5. Awesome post Jules, the first Colleen Hoover I read was Hopeless and it just made me cry as well. I need to read Slammed and can't wait. TFIOS really does make you appreciate your life more doesn't it? Lovely post!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It made me feel like life is so sudden! Plus it pretty much broke my heart ya know. :D

      Delete
  6. While I haven't read anything that really made me cry, there're also books that also thought me those life lessons that you mentioned especially 1 & 2.. I really hope I can read more books that can touch me personally, and I'm definitely reading The Fault in Our Stars soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I keep on reading Czai! I love that it helps me realize how blessed I am! :D Hope you enjoy TFioS, but be careful too! :D

      Delete
  7. Couldn't agree more with your choices, some of those had me ugly crying too, you know those horrible hiccup kind of crying where no one looks attractive. I think the biggest thing I learn though, was never to invest emotionally in another John Green book again. He's brilliant, I'm not doubting that, but he also doesn't give his readers any sort of closure either and it leaves me so mentally and emotionally spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! True! After I read TFioS I'm wary of reading Looking for Alaska :D But its really calling for me! Hahaha :D

      Delete
  8. 1. Maybe secretly I love my mom deep down, but she doesn't really support me in blogging (she did at first. Then she shuns it. I'm not sure what makes her happy. Apparently it's money, which I personally don't think it's always the case (if you're really wealthy and lonely, that's kind of... pointless. And boring). >_< She sort of supports me in reading. "Better than gaming!"

    2. Well said. ^_^ I don't have a social life. Aside from getting yelled at to be faster, which I'm trying and failing so far. *sigh....*

    3. No comment. o_o

    Anyhoo, great post Jules (no wonder you sounded familiar - I didn't know you guest posted at Say It With Books... okay, I did, but I didn't know you were the same person lol)! I'm like Aimee. The books didn't make me cry... well, the ones I've read, which is only one out of your list. (Not a big fan of contemporary romance usually)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, don't worry I understand. We all have different kinds of books that makes us cry. Your mom probably has a reason, mine sometimes lectures me because I prioritize blogging more than studying (Which I can't help, blogging is so much fun! Hahaha). :D

      Delete
  9. I completely agree that novels instill in us a better appreciation for our own world -- particularly compared to the reality others have to face -- and for the people in it. Wonderful post, Jules! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keertana :)
      I'm glad to know books touched your life as well :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!