May 13, 2014

Idle Chats: What I like in a book

Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile.

* * *

Book Aspects

 I've just realized that some of the book that I've read in the past with similar genre's tend to be the same in terms of ratings. So I'm going to share to you guys how I consider "rating" books.

When I first started reading, I started with the very hyped about Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Yes I read the 4th book, first), then I started reading indie books (yes, it all started with Indie :D) It was definitely a step by step progress to realize just how there are important aspects in "liking" a book.

For me, these are my important bases:
  • Plot - A good plot is always the best starter for liking a book. If the story has no originality and authenticity to it. Then its gonna be much harder to appreciate it.
  • Pacing - What I hate more in books are the so called: "Fillers". Fillers are parts of the book that aren't really related to the story, but is there just for the heck of it. I've read a ton of books that has a lot of fillers. Honestly, I love a good prose. but if its a two or three paragraph long then I won't bother reading it at all.
  • Writing - Sometimes, "fillers" could be good. But only if the writing is good. I'm not saying that you should put a lot of prose in books. Just saying that sometimes, beautiful writing draws in readers. Interesting and descriptive. But not too much.
  • Characters - Obviously this is the biggest make or break aspect of a book. One thing I hate in books are naive, dumb and too-dependent-for-their-own-good heroines. And a**hat guys that do nothing but be disrespectful with girls and their moms. 
  • Plot Twists - I am a lover of plot twist. I love the drama of it. But sometimes, some plot twists are expected so they're not as enjoyable.
  • Ending - I am very affected if the book did not end well. I don't mind if its not up to my expectations, just as long as its "acceptable"
I'm not very picky when it comes to books (Tho I avoid some books I know I wouldn't like). But I have important things to consider when I rate my books. At first I was easily swayed by the ending. If I didn't like it, it would be a big blow on my rating, but after that. I started to see everything. As a reviewer, it was important for me to now only see what I liked, but what made the book not so okay.

Although I had a list of aspects I consider when I'm rating books. There are two things that I consider important and very swaying. For me anyway :) Characters and Romance are one of the most important things I consider when reading a book.  If you have one swoon-worthy romance with playful bantering, cute easygoing relationships/dark, super emotional romance, with a bad boy or funny guy in the combo. Then I'm in! I'm pretty much easy to please when it comes to books, but I hardly remember them all because some of them aren't as memorable or epic compared to others :)

Then there's one thing that could break my like streak in books. Bad Plot and Naive Heroines. I do not like, no scratch that. I hate when this happens. I easily lose interest when there's a very very boring plot. Because honestly, as much as I want to finish every book I started, some books are just not "interesting" enough. For Naive Heroines, lets just say that I hate dumb girls who can't balance heart and mind. I like swoony moments. Yes. But I don't like a girl who swoons over a guy who's not deserving of it. It really pisses me off.

I just needed to add this hahaha :D

So that's that.

That's how I like my books.
How about you? How do you like your books?


27 comments:

  1. Characters and romance are iimportant to me too. But they also have to fit well in the story. Sometimes I can take cliche plots when there's a swoony romance and good characters. But this is mostly for contemporary. When it comes to action-packed books, I would like it if the romance took the back seat or fit really well in the story. Oh, and I hate stupid heroines too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all you said. There will always be exemptions with some books. :D

      Delete
  2. I am a pleasure-reader, so if I felt really bad after reading a book, expect a not-so-favorable rating. When I am unable to relate to the MCs, I tend to dislike the book, especially when they are stupid and naive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Dre! I hate naive and stupid heroines the most. :D

      Delete
  3. YES TO ALL OF THIS! Characters, plot twists, and a good, original plot are all so important to me. The actual writing is definitely a factor as well, but, to be honest, I don't really judge it as much as I do the plot & characters. And instalove and Mary Sue-like heroines are my definite pet-peeves!

    Thanks so much for sharing Jules and, as always, BRILLIANT post! <3
    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few insta-love books that I kinda like *hides* its because the guy's so cute. I can't help myself to like him :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about endings. Sometimes they can end up changing how I feel about the whole book, even if I enjoyed the rest! Characters are a big one for me too. I normally don't care about the plot or the storyline if I can't get behind the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Even if the plot is good, if the characters just irritate the hell out of you, then you won't be enjoying the book at all. :(

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jules. I, too, have certain guidelines when I pick up a book. Lately, though, I've been throwing the rule book out the window. I like flirty/clever banter as well; it makes for a fun dialogue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I rarely see that in real life, so its refreshing when couples have playful banter. its a fun thing to read :D

      Delete
  6. Well, now that I think about it, my ratings usually depend on how much I like or dislike a book. But I want to change the way I rate them based on a criteria similar with most reviewers. I'm also a sucker for love stories like almost everyone else. I like plain banter between characters but without getting too distracted with the main agenda (dystopian).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Some banter is over the top and it feels so forced that its uncomfortable to actually read it.

      Delete
  7. For me it depends on a lot of things. If it's a contemporary, I'd want the characters and their development to shine. If it's fantasy, the world-building is important for me. If it's dystopia, the setting and the background politics must be done well or else it will be for naught. If it's mystery, the pacing has to be excellent. It really depends! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with character devolopment! I love it when the asshats. (Like the really really big asshats) became better guys! :D

      Delete
  8. Great post! Personally, it's important for me to like the mc - if I don't. no matter how good the plot, I can't bring myself to continue on. Romance also plays an important factor for me, too. Love triangles and insta-love is a big no no for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hides* I tend to love some insta-love and love triangles. hahaha, sorry I love the drama of it :D

      Delete
  9. *sigh* I made a long comment but then it died when the internet crashed. D: Anyway, for me, all of these are pretty important but the most important are the writing, characters and plot. If those go well, everything else just follows. ;D Awesome post, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deym, I'd want to read that long comment. Internet seems so crappy these days. I definitely know that you appreciate a good plot and characters. Tho we appreciate it in different ways *winks*

      Delete
  10. I just discovered your blog through other blogs I follow. ;) Anyway, LOVE this post. I am rather selective BUT it has to have a dash of romance somewhere in the plot or sub-plot for me to read it and there's always an exception. I usually download the sample to see if I will like the writing style. And I always prefer a darker story but lately, I've been known to mix-it-up. Great post...it's always nice to read about what other bloggers like and don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Cristina! I know, ;) I crave good romance, so I need it to be great, or else I'll end up hatin the book.

      Delete
  11. Awesome post Jules, I totally agree with TSTL girls ruining my ability to enjoy the book, especially when paired with an unbelievable romance. I don't mind books that don't have strong plots, especially if they have good character development. And I totally agree characters make or break a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why some books, even if they did have a simple plot. If they have adorable characters, we're bound to like it :D

      Delete
  12. "I don't like a girl who swoons over a guy who's not deserving of it. It really pisses me off."

    I so agree with you on this. I hate heroines who forget absolutely EVERYTHING because she's so obsessed over the guy she likes/lusting for. That's a major turnoff for me. I don't always need to have warm and fuzzy feelings after reading a book, sometimes the ones that messed me up and all dark and twisty are the ones I love the most, although books that end with a happy ending are awesome too :)

    Great discussion Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I agree! A lot of my all time faves are the books that made me cry like a baby.

      Delete
  13. Hmm, plot is of course important. I realized I really love worldbuilding and when. The author shows me something I havent seem before. I hate annoying characters, and I dont usually like flashbacks and too many povs only because they usually arent done well. I dont necessarily need romance but sometimes I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a hopeless romantic so I kinda crave romance in books :>

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!