Idle Chit-Chats is where @ Jules Bookshelf talks about bookish and non-bookish topics that is related to a bibliophile.
I've just realized that some of the book that I've read in the past with similar genre's tend to be the same in terms of ratings. So I'm going to share to you guys how I consider "rating" books.
When I first started reading, I started with the very hyped about Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Yes I read the 4th book, first), then I started reading indie books (yes, it all started with Indie :D) It was definitely a step by step progress to realize just how there are important aspects in "liking" a book.
For me, these are my important bases:
- Plot - A good plot is always the best starter for liking a book. If the story has no originality and authenticity to it. Then its gonna be much harder to appreciate it.
- Pacing - What I hate more in books are the so called: "Fillers". Fillers are parts of the book that aren't really related to the story, but is there just for the heck of it. I've read a ton of books that has a lot of fillers. Honestly, I love a good prose. but if its a two or three paragraph long then I won't bother reading it at all.
- Writing - Sometimes, "fillers" could be good. But only if the writing is good. I'm not saying that you should put a lot of prose in books. Just saying that sometimes, beautiful writing draws in readers. Interesting and descriptive. But not too much.
- Characters - Obviously this is the biggest make or break aspect of a book. One thing I hate in books are naive, dumb and too-dependent-for-their-own-good heroines. And a**hat guys that do nothing but be disrespectful with girls and their moms.
- Plot Twists - I am a lover of plot twist. I love the drama of it. But sometimes, some plot twists are expected so they're not as enjoyable.
- Ending - I am very affected if the book did not end well. I don't mind if its not up to my expectations, just as long as its "acceptable"
Although I had a list of aspects I consider when I'm rating books. There are two things that I consider important and very swaying. For me anyway :) Characters and Romance are one of the most important things I consider when reading a book. If you have one swoon-worthy romance with playful bantering, cute easygoing relationships/dark, super emotional romance, with a bad boy or funny guy in the combo. Then I'm in! I'm pretty much easy to please when it comes to books, but I hardly remember them all because some of them aren't as memorable or epic compared to others :)
Then there's one thing that could break my like streak in books. Bad Plot and Naive Heroines. I do not like, no scratch that. I hate when this happens. I easily lose interest when there's a very very boring plot. Because honestly, as much as I want to finish every book I started, some books are just not "interesting" enough. For Naive Heroines, lets just say that I hate dumb girls who can't balance heart and mind. I like swoony moments. Yes. But I don't like a girl who swoons over a guy who's not deserving of it. It really pisses me off.
|I just needed to add this hahaha :D|
So that's that.
That's how I like my books.
How about you? How do you like your books?