May 5, 2014

Book Review: Riot by Sarah Mussi

Riot by Sarah Mussi (1.5 Stars)

I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.


Blurb from Goodreads:

It is 2018. England has been struggling under a recession that has shown no sign of abating. Years of cuts has devastated Britain: banks are going under, businesses closing, prices soaring, unemployment rising, prisons overflowing. The authorities cannot cope. And the population has maxed out.

The police are snowed under. Something has to give. Drastic measures need taking.

The solution: forced sterilisation of all school leavers without secure further education plans or guaranteed employment.

The country is aghast. Families are distraught, teenagers are in revolt, but the politicians are unshakeable: The population explosion must be curbed. No more free housing for single parents, no more child benefit, no more free school meals, no more children in need. Less means more.

But it is all so blatantly unfair - the Teen Haves will procreate, the Teen Havenots won't.

It's time for the young to take to the streets. It's time for them to RIOT:

OUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE, OUR BODIES, OUR FUTURE.


MY OPINION

The main thing I remembered while reading this book is the headache that always accompanied it while I read. It was that bad. I kinda even wanted to stop reading it because it really made my head ache (Literally!) The only reason why I’m giving it a 1.5 rating is because the plot of the book was actually good. Too bad everything else is bad.

The plot was great. It had the very dystopian feel. I could imagine what would happened just by seeing the blurp in the book. But my imagination was not in the book. In fact, everything other than the plot in the book is disappointing. Even when I started reading it, up to end. I found nothing I could consider “amazing” or even “good” or “okay” with it.

The first problem I encountered in this book is the confusion. It was very hard to understand things when it started. Its as if I was thrown into a pool without me knowing how I got in the first place. I had to be in the middle of the book to be able to at least comprehend how the book would go on. And the answers to my questions came in late, and I'm not happy that I had to endure fillers in the book that made my head ache, just to get my questions answered.

My second problem with the book is the writing. There were a lot of scenes that I never understood even if I reread it. Another thing I don’t like about the writing is the musings that Tia had. Sometimes I like that in books, with this one… not so much.

The third problem; The characters. two of them Three I’m not liking. I’m only going to consider that this book only had three characters ‘cuz they were the only ones left alive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against killing characters, but if it’s a massacre, then that’s just going overboard. Though I don’t care actually, I don’t even like the characters.

Tia was annoying. I can’t tell you the specifics because I don’t remember anymore, but I just know one thing. TIA IS VERY VERY ANNOYING. I hated reading her POV, she’s so push and pull. Before she’s be determined, the next she’d hide and cower in fear. Its just irritating! Then there’s Cobain. He’s a very bland character, this book was fairly long, but I have not gotten one clue to who he really is as a character. I don’t even know what’s his freaking last name. Then there's the main antagonist, he didn't seem scary to me. Honestly, I see him as a big greasy fat guy.

The fourth problem, and the most irritating for me: The love part of the book. Its not insta-love, but its so unreasonable you want to knock their heads to each other. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE FREAKING IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER! Okay, so the guy probably saved you two times. So freaking what!? Sure you’d develop respect for the guy and be grateful for him. BUT HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT YOU LOVE HIM!? And the best thing yet : She doesn’t know a fudging thing about him!

Huff, basically this book irritated the hell out of me, and I just needed to get this out.

MY FINAL NOTE

There was such a big potential to this book. I knew in my heart that I could've enjoyed it, but the writing style and the characters was just not for me. It was there, the girl was a hacker, their was this underground internet ish place called Darknet7 but I just feel like there was something big missing. I don't like the characters and I don't understand most of what I read. Sadly, I can't give this anything higher than a 1.5

10 comments:

  1. How frustrating, there are so many things here that sounds like you had to trudge through. The romance and the main character sound super annoying. Thanks for the honest review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeann! :) I myself was frustrated. Too bad, I wanted the book to be good :(

      Delete
  2. Aww...it's always a shame when a book has such great potential and then the execution fails to live up. :( I don't blame you though...underdeveloped characters are the death of me, and if you're not fully connected to the writing style then that's not a helpful factor either! :D

    Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts though Jules. Hopefully your next read is better! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Zoe :). Thankfully I'm reading a good one now, :D

      Delete
  3. I find it SO frustrating when a romance feels unrealistic. Even worse when the characters aren't all that likeable either. Often, even if a plot is solid, I will have no interest in the story if I can't get behind the characters emotionally. I was curious about this one a while back, but I don't think it would work for me now. Thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Sam, I was frustrated myself, I just wanted to dang finish it already :D

      Delete
  4. i'm sorry this didn't work out for you Jules, the premise is definitely interesting and I can totally get why you would think the plot is great but sometimes a great plot is just isn't enough. Hopefully, your next read will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when it comes to dystopian novels, its either a hit or miss. :(

      Delete
  5. I hate annoying characters - and if I don't like the characters it makes it extremely hard for me to like the book - period. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate them as well. I am very disappointed. :(

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!