May 31, 2014

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (1 Star)






Blurb from Goodreads:

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

MY OPINION

This is why I don't trust the hype anymore. -.-"

Ever since I started reading, I've heard of this book, and about how great it was! How Travis is just awesome! How swoon worthy it was! How amazing the romance is.

Why am I one of the few that doesn't seem to understand why people say that this is full of "great romance"? From the moment that I started the book, I couldn't seem to stop being irritated for a number of reasons. That plot of the book isn't really complex, its pretty much like the plot where both characters has deep/mysterious secrets, the pacing (in all fairness) is actually good. But I think the biggest struggle I had with this book is the characters. A great struggle that completely made me hate the book.

The moment that Travis was introduced the story, I suddenly had the hunch that I would hate him. Why? I've read a lot of books that have cocky, confident, and handsome ish heroes in it. But the one thing that Travis lacks (for me) is his charm. He might be charming for other people, but to me, I couldn't find the appeal to like him. To me, he just seemed like a cocky douchebag, and as I continued reading the book, all I see is his doucheness.

Then I also see the naivete and stupidness of one Abby. I do not understand why she could stand being with Travis. I get the friendship at first (tho only barely) but then, when you see a douchebag, and I mean a big royal asshat douchebag, why would you even bear to be with him? I had a lot of moments where I just want to rip my hair off or head bump myself on my desk. It was a push and pull moment with them, sometimes, they're pretty bearable, but most of the time they were pretty irritable.

By the half of the book, it bordered the line to "okay enough to not hate" and "I CAN'T TAKE THIS BOOK ANYMORE!". And here's my rant most of all. I want to be able to express to you what made me really upset with this book. I hated how Abby handled Travis. I get that he is attractive and all the yadda yadda things that she likes about him, but sometimes her actions just pissed me off. And then there's Travis who did all the douchebag moves. *sigh* You're probably irritated at me right now because I keep repeating that line, but truthfully, I have other expletives that I wish to express just how pissed I am at him. I don't understand his actions, I don't understand why he did all the things that he did. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY HE DOESN'T TREASURE ABBY, IF HE LOVES HER AS MUCH AS HE SAYS SO. He has a very crappy way of handling when things go downhill, and a much more crappy temper.

MY FINAL NOTE

I have to stop now. In a nutshell, Beautiful Disaster was a disappointment to me. Instead of a swoony romance, I got too much angst, enough faceslap moments to make my face red, and a lot of talking out loud saying ;"THE HELL Y U SO STUPID WOMAAAN!", its not my most favorite book this year. :/

P.S: I'm planning to read the sequel to this. Why? Because I am too mean to myself for my own good.

23 comments:

  1. LOL. Great review Jules! I can totally understand where you're coming from, this was a DNF for me and a lot of it because of the above you mentioned. I didnt even make it to when they got into a relationship... Both characters cannot the living shit out of me. Anyway, hopefully, your next read would be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. A lot of books are just irritating me lately. :/

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot of negative reviews for this book. In all honesty, it sounds like a horrible book and it's understandable why you don't like it. I haven't read it, but I'm planning to just because I'm curious if it is as bad as everyone says it is. Great review, Jules. Nothing wrong with torturing yourself when it comes to books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!
      :D
      I'll read it sometime soon :D

      Delete
  3. Dude, you're totally not alone in your thoughts! I tried to read this one like a few years ago, but I couldn't manage more than 20%. Travis was just super annoying, and there were many other people who just hated everything in it A LOT. There was definitely an emphasis in the angst that many people found exhausting. I applaud you for your courage to plow through the next book... I know I don't have the patience!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I don't know I guess I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to books. haha lol joke :D

      Delete
  4. Great rant Jules, I can totally understand your frustration over how Travis is a douchebag because he sounds like it! Abusive relationships and love interests are one of my pet peeves of all time and I can't condone relationships like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! My thoughts was that their relationship was just toxic, to me, they were better apart than together. :(

      Delete
  5. I completely agree. Travis is without a doubt, the biggest book tool ever! I even went on to read the second in the series, from his own point of view. Hated him even more. Characters like Travis should be outlawed. He's not swoonworthy, unless you like arrogant, abusive and and mentally disturbed men. Oh yeah, he's dreamy *rolls eyes* There's a Maddox brother series coming out soon too. I'm so tempted to see if the rest of them are just as mental. Awesome review Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna try that other series, Maddox's brothers seems pretty decent compared to him :D

      Delete
  6. So sorry I forgot to add, welcome back Jules :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you know how I feel about every NA book I've read, Jules! XD Those relationships in NA that other people find to be swoon-worthy--I find them so toxic. I actually want to read this so that I can rant about it, LOL! Awesome review, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But but but... NA has the best angst romance ever :<
      haha, but yes, I guess this was too much for me, :D

      Delete
    2. Hey! Its true hahaha :D You just have to find the right NA for you to read :D

      Delete
  8. Aww...I'm sorry this was such a big disappointment Jules! :( Especially after all the hype! I wasn't planning on reading this one anyway because I'm not a fan of most NA, but I'm definitely going to avoid it now! It's a shame that the romance was covered with so much angst and so many face-palm moments. Travis sounds like a horrible love interest - and their relationship just sounds toxic, which isn't something I enjoy.

    Nonetheless, thank you for sharing your thoughts on why this one didn't work for you, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! Hope your next read is better! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! Their whole relationship was toxic and frustrating. :/

      Delete
  9. Don't read the sequel. It doesn't get any better. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard, but I still want to read it. Just because. :D

      Delete
  10. Ohhh *headdesk* nope nope this just sounds terrible, which is a dying shame because: cover love. I NEED THAT COVER ON MY SHELF. I haven't heard a lot about this book, and (truthfully...hehe) I'm actually very curious now to try it! But I don't really have time in my life for books that demand excessive headdesking. Sooo. Probably will skip it. ;)

    Cait @ Notebook Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! The cover is so divine <333 To bad the characters weren't so much. :/

      Delete
  11. "The moment that Travis was introduced the story, I suddenly had the hunch that I would hate him. Why? I've read a lot of books that have cocky, confident, and handsome ish heroes in it." - all you saw was douchness MANNN that is so not for me then. I really don't do well with the cocky guys. I just want to facepunch them and throw them off a cliff and hope they hit every jagged rock on the way down ...yeah ..that strong.

    Glad this one isn't on my TBR haha *cackles cackles madly with creepy glee*

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!