May 9, 2014

Blog Tour + Review: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown


Full schedule of the blog tour here

* * *



Blurb from Goodreads:

Born and raised in the Midwest, Jersey Cameron knows all about tornadoes. Or so she thinks. When her town is devastated by a twister, Jersey survives -- but loses her mother, her young sister, and her home. As she struggles to overcome her grief, she's sent to live with her only surviving relatives: first her biological father, then her estranged grandparents.

In an unfamiliar place, Jersey faces a reality she's never considered before -- one in which her mother wasn't perfect, and neither were her grandparents, but they all loved her just the same. Together, they create a new definition of family. And that's something no tornado can touch.


MY OPINION

Wow. I'm... speechless. This book is just... wow.

This would be the second book from Jennifer Brown that I read this year. And I could definitely see myself reading more of her works. 'Cuz this book just made me speechless. I don't know where to start, so I'll just narrow it down from the start.

It threw me out of orbit when everything happened so fast. I'm not saying that's a bad thing tho. In fact, I could say that I appreciate the story even in the very beginning. Living here in the Philippines, I've experienced times where hurricanes and tropical storms threw down wires, trees. Flew roofs away from homes. You could say that Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan is definitely some of the worst case scenarios I've experienced to see. But reading about this book made me feel as if I'm in Jersey's shoes. I felt her fear, her anxiousness, her hope, her desire for everything to go back the way it was.

"Please, Mom," I said aloud, "be out there somewhere. Be alive. Come find me."

It broke my heart seeing her like this. From the moment that the tornado came and the aftermath. Especially the aftermath. I couldn't think of myself in that kind of position and yet it does happen, and it recently happened in the states. It definitely shook my state of mind. Especially since I could feel Jersey's heartache after what happened.

"I realized that the worst part of someone you love dying suddenly isn't the saying goodbye part. It's the part where you wonder if they knew how much you love them."

I felt an instant connection with Jersey. I can feel just how much she loves her mother, and stepsister. I could feel her pain throughout the situation and it became harder from there. Being away and alone made it worse because the memories kept on coming back and I could not blame her for the things she has done. She has a right to feel and do those things for me.

In order for me to review this without any spoilers, I would have to skip talking about what happened after. Instead, let me share you to you what I felt all throughout the story.

As I see myself reading Jersey's story, I imagined myself in her shoes. To be in pain and being hopeless and alone is probably the worst thing that could happen to a teenager. I understood every move that she made despite how sometimes it became selfish. If I were in a her position and be surrounded by people I don't know and giving me nothing but heartache and dissing about her life, her past, her family, her mom. I can't blame her for what she did and what she had to do.But in the end, I saw her heal. I saw the girl who lost everything get back on her feet and accept her new life. Granted it had a lot of downs rather than ups. But her development to me was the most important.

"Marin is my sister, I wrote. I felt better"

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Torn Away is one of those thought-provokers that make you realize just how much you could lose everything and yet still become happy in the end. Granted losing everything would be terrifying and scary. Sometimes fate works a lot of ways to make sure that we will appreciate everything in life, even if we lost a lot. I learned a lot with this book. It made me feel grateful for life, family and friends. Something that's rare to find these days. I definitely would recommend this to everyone I know :D

* * *


Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.
Jennifer writes and lives in the Kansas City, Missouri area, with her husband and three children.

CONNECT WITH HER:
 Website | Twitter | Facebook

14 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the story. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for accepting me Shane! :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by Jennifer Brown yet -- which is crazy because she's written so many books! -- but I have an ARC of this lying around and will definitely have to get to it ASAP. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are great Keertana! :D I loved reading every page, hope you enjoy reading your ARC :D

      Delete
  3. Fantastic review, I've heard so many great things about this that I think I'll have to read it. It just sounds so heart breaking, emotional and realistic. Lovely review Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely emotinal and realistic. That's hard to find in contemporary books. Sad to say. This one is a gem :D

      Delete
  4. This book looks pretty intimidating, haha! I haven't read from this author before. D: BUT I WANT TO. REALLY. SOME DAY. Maybe her books will be the ones we both like! :D Awesome review, girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was definitely intimidating. I hope you'll love this one! :D

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such a beautiful read Jules, that I regret not getting a copy when I had the chance, but your review has definitely convinced me to want to give it a go! Gorgeous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely worth getting! I hope you'll love it as much as I did :D

      Delete
  6. Aww...this sounds so beautiful and sad! Jersey sounds like an amazing protagonist, and it's great that you found her so easy to relate to. Books that really make you think and make you realize how much you have in life are always the best kind of read; and this definitely sounds like it falls into that category. Thank you so much for sharing Jules, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! Definitely giving this a go! :D

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Its definitely one of those thought-provokers that are worth reading. I hope you connect with Jersey as well! :D

      Delete
  7. Wow that does sound crazy moving and I normally don't even read this genre. I think natural disasters like that are just I don't know so big you know - they can impact the entire community and bring people so much closer together in a way that others don't (or just in a different way) - definitely one I would consider picking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. A lot of good things happen when something tragic happens like this. You see a lot of compassion around you :)

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!