April 17, 2014

Book Review: Facade by Nyrae Dawn

Facade (Games #2) by Nyrae Dawm (2 Stars)





Blurb from Goodreads:


Can love save them?

After her father commits a crime that shatters her family, eighteen-year-old Delaney Cross is tired of pretending everything is all right. Packing up her car, she sets out to find the people her father hurt. Her search leads her to places she’s never been—and into the arms of Adrian Westfall.

To the outside world, Adrian is a sexy, charming ladies’ man. But his playboy persona is just an act. Secretly his soul is tortured by a memory too painful to share. Only Delaney seems to see through his fa├žade to the real man underneath. And for the first time in his life, Adrian feels he can begin to open up about his past.

Together, Adrian and Delaney share a passionate love they never expected to find. Yet both still harbor their own secrets. When the dark truth is finally revealed, will it bring them closer together—or tear them apart forever?


MY OPINION

Meh.

I loved the first book, Charade, so much. Because, I related well to the characters and the story itself was heartbreaking. I’ve wanted to immerse myself in that kind of heartbreaking story. I wanted to cry over something, but sadly I did not cry. I did not like it as much I thought I would.

The technicalities were all spot on. The plot of the book was good, pacing was great. The build-up to the climax was beautiful. Not too fast or slow. But I’m not that enamoured to the book. And that’s because I couldn’t connect with the characters well. I blame it on my lack of experience. I couldn’t imagine what pain Adrian went through. I love that he’s funny, and that he’s poetic and sweet, but I’ve not really liked him a lot here. I actually liked him more in the first book. I guess the heaviness of his situation is something I can’t comprehend right now. Simply put, he was in too deep. Laney was okay. I liked her, but not enough for me add her to my fave heroine list. She’s not that relatable to me. I kinda don’t understand her too.

Another thing that bothered me is that the emotional heaviness of this book was too much. There were not a lot of happy moments. All I see is the heaviness in it, and how much sadness there is in their life. And I don’t like too much emotional heaviness.

Though I like Maddox. Granted, I’ve not really seen who he is other than he’s one protective brother, but I’m kinda lured in my his mysterious persona.

MY FINAL NOTE

Overall, I think the book was an okay book. I just don’t understand what Adrian and Laney. I blame it on me not being too young, or maybe just being inexperienced with their situation. But I think other readers will appreciate it more than I did.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.


CONNECT WITH HER:

Website/BlogFacebookTwitterGoodreads

2 comments:

  1. I think you're suffering from second book syndrome, Jules! I've been seeing you love a bunch of series starters only to get bored with the next book. D: I hope this goes away soon and that you read some awesome sequel. I hate books where you can't connect with the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a syndrome like that? Lol. :D

      Sadly yes, some books just don't cut it right now. Hopefully I'll like a sequel when I read it next time :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!