April 9, 2014

Book Review: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke (2 Stars)





Blurb from Goodreads:

You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard.

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.

MY OPINION

I could easily say that I am disappointed of this book. I do not understand what’s the hype with this one. I saw a lot of good hype about this, about how “amazing” it was and how incredible it is. Honey there is nothing that I see that’s “incredible” with this book. Frankly, I don’t understand the meaning of story at all. Too bad though, ‘cuz the cover is gorgeous.

In the first part of the story, I see that our Violet here, had rented out the guest house behind the house, and in comes River, a charismatic, mysterious boy who came to rent out the guest house. Then as he came, problems flowed to the small town. And just how related River is to these happenings. –Insert Sarcasm- obviously a lot.

Let me get this straight, the book is actually pretty fine, but that’s all to it. Its just fine, meh. Okay. The plot was good, pacing was, again fine. But I just don’t understand why everyone liked it so much. I don’t know if it’s the writing or the sense of the writing. I just don’t see it all that, all I see is blah blah blah blah. In terms of technicalities, I think everything in the book is pretty okay for me, but there’s nothing here that I consider as amazing writing. I am all in love with the blurp and everything it focuses on. The mystery and the allure of the so called “Devil” but there’s nothing interesting much about this so called “Devil”, in fact, I just ended getting pissed at him.

But what I most especially do not understand is the characters. Why the freaking why would she fall in love with River? I know he is pretty good looking and mysterious. Plus, he does have that attractive smile. But I don’t get why you would continue to like a guy, that obviously lies to your face, when you already know he’s lying. Let’s admit it, Violet is not my favourite character at all, correction: I don’t like everyone in this book. But Violet is my least favourite. I do not know if she’s dense, or if the Devil is doing some mojo, but I hate that she keeps on disregarding what he’s doing to her. With River, he’s pretty much useless to me. He comes and goes, and just comes back again. He has the looks, but he doesn’t have the personality to be a potential book boyfriend. I hate the bestfriend too. She’s slut-ish flirty for my tastes, sorry. Luke, I kinda like, but I don’t know why.

Overall, I don’t think this book is good for my tastes. It looks like it has a sequel, but I’m not going to check that out anytime soon.

MY FINAL NOTE

I don't think the book is horrible, its just a fact that I don't understand the meaning of it at all. And I also don't like the characters, But I got to tell you, it is creepy, I avoided reading this at night. Lol.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


April Genevieve Tucholke is a full-time writer who digs classic movies, redheaded villains, big kitchens, and discussing murder at the dinner table. She and her husband—a librarian, former rare-book dealer, and journalist—live in Oregon. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is her first novel.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Twitter

12 comments:

  1. I expected River to be more of a Dante Walker type, but he felt like a bit of a let down for me. I couldn't agree more about the creepy factor of this one, but I thought it was just 'fine' as well. I read it quite a while ago, and I couldn't understand the hype surrounding it. I thought it might have been somewhat similar to Anna Dressed in Blood, but such a let down.

    Fantastic review, love the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Anna dressed in blood was Amazing!!!! I kinda thought the same too. But it wasn't sadly. Thank you! :D

      Delete
  2. Gah, I've seen similar sentiments from other bloggers, and that's the very reason why I don't feel like reading this one. It was insta-love that didn't make any sense. Girl, the guy's a douche, why are you even tolerating it? I would have dumped his ass yesterday. Sorry for the bad book, hun >:D< I hope your next read is better:)

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found a great read Faye! Thank goodness for that :D

      Delete
  3. I actually started this book over a week ago and just can't get back into it, it started off quite great too, but just seems to drag in places, which is a real shame as I had such high hopes for this. Thank you for your honest review Jules! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasprit :)
      I feel you, I kinda thought I could like this book. But its just creepy, nothing else special about it.

      Delete
  4. This book was simultaneous irritating, terrible, and amazing at the same time. I can definitely understand why you didn't like it though.
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda understand, still. I loved the aspect and plot of the book. But the characters were just too irritating. :< Sad though, it would have been great.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry this book didn't work for you Jules! I think the cover is beautiful and the blurb is so interesting but from your review it looks like all the good things stop there and I feel like I will find the characters irritating too. I do love creepy books so I guess I'm open to check this book out, but only if it's on sale or if I can borrow it from someone else. I just have to keep in mind that the characters are annoying >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, yes, sadly that was my biggest disappointment. I wanted to like them, but ugh... I just don't. XD

      Delete
  6. I didn't understand the hype surrounding this one either! I liked the writing well enough, but I wasn't a fan of River or the slow-moving plot or even the character relationships. *shrug* I guess it works for some but not for others. Fantastic review, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keertana! I agree, plus I hated River and Violet's relationship. River's a total douche

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!