March 21, 2014

Book Review: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout (5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

One kiss could be the last.

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.


MY OPINION

Uhm... I'm sorry. But I think most some of you might end up getting pissed with me, because the majority of my reasons as to why I loved this book is because of all the swoony moments I had with it.

But let me get to the other stuff first. I've read a lot of JLA's previous YA books/series (specifically the Lux and Covenant Series). All of them were beautiful and ended up us my all-time-faves. So naturally, I’ve had high expectations with this one. And its awesomeness exceeded my expectations.

The plot of the book is something rare at least. I’ve not read any books about gargoyles yet, and JLA changed my perspective about these creatures that I only see on Harry Potter. She wrote this whole new world for them, and she did it JLA style. The book had the obvious hint of being JLA’s books. You could see it in the writing style in the book. It was witty and comedic, without being forced or out of place. I loved reading every word in it. Every scene was well written and the way it was written made me see every detail and moment as if I were watching a movie.

The comedy is greatly applied to the characters as well. Layla’s friends are awesome (Sam kinda reminds me of my reading buddy, Stef :D). But I think Roth’s the most funniest (Obviously). Zayne was pretty okay. For a guy, I do like him a lot. He’s caring, understanding and selfless. He has those moments that make him swoony. Layla’s a darling. I love love her! She’s not as naïve as I thought she would be. When I read Bitter Sweet Love, she seemed so vulnerable and she had the “damsel in distress” vibe to her. But she was not like that at all (Thank you for that!). She was fiesty and independent. Though she is a bit naïve when it comes to romance, though that I can somewhat understand, but I loved that she doesn’t fall to man’s feet, unlike other heroines.

Now… for the main reasons why I love this book…

Roth… Oh. My. Gahd. Roth! :D



Sorry for being such a hopeless romantic about this. But I am just in love with Roth right now! Let me give you my reasons ;) . When I first read about Roth, I was immediately reminded of two characters that JLA wrote. One, Daemon Black(Lux Series) and second, Seth(Covenant Series). I loved Daemon because his humor is just sarcastic and teasing. And with Seth, he’s a bit of a pervert, but at the same time, his twisted humor is actually cute. Plus both of them had a bit of arrogance that grows on you. Roth was a mixture of these two, and it just made him all the more lovable!! He had the humor, he had that kind of arrogance. But more than that, he has bunnies and a snake named Bambi. He constantly made me laugh. And more turn ons? He’s not even a douchebag. Not at all. I’ve never seen a moment where he acted like a d-bag. He teases a lot, sometime with innuendos. But other than that, he’s pretty much funny and adorable.

"At some point, Roth had gotten hold of my cell and replaced Zayne's name with Stony and listed his own number under Sexy Beast. What a tool.
I grinned."

Isn’t he just adorable <3



Here's another one :)

"Meow." Roth clawed the air, which looked as ridiculous as it sounded.

Okay, fangirling aside. The story itself was good. I loved every aspect of it, from the start up to the ending. Especially the ending, I really cried hard over that. The reason? I will not say due to spoilers. But it surprised me that I cried. In a span of just one book, it made me connected to the characters enough for me to cry about them. It was that good. Enough said.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

The book itself was good. I appreciated how JLA made her characters so likeable and endearing. But no matter what, I loved that I got to meet a character like Roth :D

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Lynn.

CONNECT WITH HER:

FacebookTwitter | Website | Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. YAY!! You don't how happy this makes me, I absolutely love anything written by Jennifer Armentrout (I just finished reading her covenant series for like the seventh time) and hearing that this one is just as good makes me want to buy it right now. And I'm so excited for a new male character to love. A mix between Seth (MY BABY *fangirls* did ya hear about his spin-off book?) and Daemon? Sign me up for that! Great review! Defiantly reading this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT! After reading Sentinel, my heart bursts because of how dreamy and swoon-worthy Seth was. And after reading this, I fangirled a lot of times because of Roth's resemblance to my fave Book BF's Can't wait to find out your reaction! :DDD

      Delete
  2. I have this on my Kindle but have not read it yet. I've read Obsidian and Onyx, it wasn't award winning literature but I've enjoyed it for it's high entertainment value and banter. Kind of like how I would enjoy a summer blockbuster. I've skimmed your review cause I'm reading this soon but I'm really glad you enjoyed it Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amir! True, its not one of those really deep books, but it is memorable in its own way. Hope you like it :D

      Delete
  3. Okay, you had me at swoony moments! I have read her Lux series, so I am pretty aware of how she writes books. I am interested to know how she created a world about gargoyles, and yes I imagine them as really icky creatures atop a tower! Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what Harry Potter movies did to me XD lol. But this was a book, and I hope you'll like it as much as I did. :D

      Delete
  4. Great review Jules. This is the first review I've read of this one and I'm intrigued. I've been a huge fan of her other two main series and will be adding this one to my list too. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Kelly! :D
      I'm honored that you appreciate my review! :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!