March 12, 2014

Book Review: Find You in the Dark by A. Meredith Walters

Find You in the Dark by A. Meredith Walters (1.5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

Maggie Young had the market on normal. Normal friends, normal parents, normal grades.. normal life. Until him.

Clayton Reed was running from his past and an army of personal demons that threatened to take him down. He never thought he had a chance at happiness. Until her.

Maggie thought their love could overcome anything. Clay thought she was all he needed to fix his messy life. That together, they could face the world. But the darkness is always waiting.

Sometimes the greatest obstacle to true love is within yourself.


MY OPINION

Exhausting.

One word I felt the entire time I read this book. Exhausting. Sad. And depressing. I’ve heard of this book since last year. But I only got the chance to read this now. Unfortunately, I am not one of those readers who appreciated this book.

From the title itself, I knew that it was going to be a heavy kind of a book. And I’ve been craving books like that so I decided to read this. Unfortunately, it was way to heavy for my tastes. Way way too heavy. Let me start telling my opinion at the very start of the book.

The moment that Clay and Maggie met, I cringed. Because I knew in that moment they were going to be “together”. I wasn’t even interested on the romance aspect. Because in the early start of the book, I’ve already seen moments that make this book, a not-so-good-with-relationship book. But thinking about this, I think the only problem I have with this book is the relationship itself between Clay and Maggie. And it affected everything that happened in the book.

First of all, it affected how Maggie is with her friends, especially her family. When you’re in love, I know that you would do a lot of crazy things, but really? Would you do all those things to your parents? To your friends? I know rebelling and passion is something but what she did is just dang disrespectful and hurtful. Her love for him affected her relationship with her family and friends. She hurt them, snapped at them and lied to them, because of him.

Second, their love affected each other’s action. Love is supposed to be the encouragement that you need to be better, not just for yourself but for your partner. But here, all I see is hurt. They might think that they’re in love. But I don’t think they are, in the context of what I think love is. Love is being natural with someone, being true to yourself, with someone, and not being scared about it.

And most importantly, it affected who they are as a person. Their relationship was toxic enough that it changed who they are, and not in a good way. Maggie became a liar and she became blasé with her parents. She hurt her long time friends that she had ever since. Clay became overly possesive. So posessive it looked like he was a dog and he was marking Mags as territory. He was like a ticking time bomb. Unreasonable and scary. That’s who he is with their relationship.With the abuse he's been doing, its not really that hard to imagine that the book ended as it should.

MY FINAL NOTE

As the book ended, I was surprised to know that it actually has a sequel. Still not sure if I’m to read the next one. But overall, Find You in the Dark is the kind of book that is realistic and a bit extreme.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

The New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Contemporary and Paranormal romance including The Find You in the Dark and Bad Rep series as well as the upcoming stand alone romance, Reclaiming the Sand, and a dark new adult series for Gallery Books.

A. Meredith spent ten years as a counselor for at risk teens and children. First working at a Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault program and then later a program for children with severe emotional and mental health issues. Her former clients and their stories continue to influence every aspect of her writing.

When not writing (or being tortured with all manner of beauty products at the hand of her very imaginative and extremely girly daughter), she is eating chocolate, watching reality television that could rot your brain and reading a smutty novel or two.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Facebook | Twitter 

8 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't work out for you, Jules. A dark and heavy book can be a challenge. Great honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Tho the book isn't really that bad. I just don't like the love aspect in it.

      Delete
  2. I think I had this on my to-read list a while back but I'll probably remove it now. I like sad, depressing stories, but this one just sounds really heavy and frustrating. Sorry it didn't work out for you, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pulling my hair out Aimee. I'm sad I didn't like it much too.

      Delete
  3. Wow, their relationship sounds REAAALLY unhealthy. I would never do that to my friends or family. In fact, the person I choose to be in a relationship with should be the first one to stop me from hurting those I love, directly or indirectly. I remember wanting to run away from my family once and found myself in France. After a week, I got so guilty and went back. The thought of giving my family pain was just too much to bear, and I knew I'd never do that again.

    Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. Awesome review, Jules!

    Faye @ The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. TOXIC that's one of its description. :(

      Delete
  4. I think I started with this one awhile back but lost interest in just a few chapters because of that insta-love between the characters. Now I don't think I'll be picking it up again at all...it's not even about the hero because I know going in he's screwed up but from your review I think I'll be so frustrated with the heroine. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wanted to stop already but I really wanted to see if the situation will get better, but it didn't. Too bad. :(

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!