March 18, 2014

Book Review: Ephemeral by K.A Poe

Ephemeral by K.A Poe (2.5 Stars)







Blurb from Goodreads:

For Victoria Aldrich, death is everywhere. Cursed with powerful visions, she foresees the death of everyone she touches. Until she meets Spencer Manning. When Victoria touches this strange new boy she sees nothing but blinding light. But sometimes the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows. As Victoria tries to understand why Spencer’s death is hidden from her, she also begins to glimpse a shadowy figure lurking around town—a boy that no one else seems to see. The deeper Victoria pries into Hazel Grove's new inhabitants, the more she discovers their connection to her curse, and how she must use it to stop a fate worse than death.



MY OPINION

”I wasn’t gifted; I was cursed.”

……Okay let me be frank. I am having a hard time reviewing this book because I don’t exactly remember what key points I had into liking this book. As I am writing this, I am also making trying to make a cliché statement of why I liked this book in the first place. But alas, I just can’t write a concrete review. I vaguely remember that I loved the start of the book. It was refreshing and it had the kind of good writing for the start of a book. The pacing was pretty okay too. But the plot isn’t really awesome. Somehow, it reminded me of The Mortal Instruments Series. With the whole secret world and all. But I did like it at first. I liked how the heroine’s power had this big effect in her life. It was cool, what her power is. But other than that, nada. Everything else was pretty much expected, other than the plot twist. I did not expect that.

Overall, I think this is an okay book. But sadly, its not the kind of book that would stick in the mind even after a long time. Its not wrong or bad per se. But its just so alike with other fantasy novel’s out there. It lacks the originality that every book should have. It felt like a carbon copy of other books out there. I’m not sure what to expect with the sequel, but I’m not sure if I’ll even read that.

MY FINAL NOTE

Its not a bad book. I repeat it is not a bad book. But being a 1 one book of the millions of trillions of books out there, it is customary that if you want your book to shine, it should have the originality and uniqueness that has to be in it. Whether through the plot, writing, or characters. Just as long as there is a distinctiveness in it, it will be remembered.

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

KA Poe lives in Arizona with her husband and daughter. Someday she hopes to travel the world and live life to the fullest she possibly can. Writing has always been her passion. When she isn't writing she spends a lot of time online, playing computer games, and reading books. She has a vivid imagination, an eccentric personality and collects colorful socks.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Facebook | Twitter  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!