March 28, 2014

Book Review: Be with Me by J. Lynn

Be with Me by J. Lynn (2 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

Teresa Hamilton is having a rough year—she’s in love with her big brother’s best friend, but he hasn’t spoken to her since they shared a truly amazing, mind-blowing, change-your-life kiss. She got out of a terrible relationship. And now an injury is threatening to end her dance career for good. It’s time for Plan B – college. And maybe a chance to convince Jase that what they have together is real.

Jase Winstead has a huge secret that he’s not telling anyone. Especially not his best friend’s incredibly beautiful sister. Even though he and Teresa shared the hottest kiss of his life, he knows that his responsibilities must take priority. He certainly doesn’t have time for a relationship. But it doesn’t help that all he can think about kissing the one girl who could ruin everything for him.

As they’re thrown together more and more, Jase and Tess can’t keep denying their feelings for each other. But a familiar danger looms and tragedy strikes. As the campus recovers, the star-crossed couple must decide what they’re willing to risk to be together, and what they’re willing to lose if they’re not…

MY OPINION

As much as I wanted to like this, and I did love some of it. But I just can’t get over a few things about it. And those are my reasons why I didn’t love it as much as I wanted to.

When I started reading this book. I had high expectations from this because I loved the first of the series. But let me state the fact that I’m not much of a fan of its characters Jase and Tess. I don’t hate them, but I’m not really one of their biggest fans. I’ve never “connected” to them, as much as I did Cam and Avery. The book started out good, everything was well written and you could easily distinguish it as JLA’s writing. The humor was there, and the plot was good too. Pacing was just fine. There was even a plot twist that made the book much more interesting and engaging to read. But I kept on hating the book because of how the characters acted. And as much as I want to keep this review spoiler free, I need to let this out.

I wanted to shake Tess for being too much of a martyr here. The kind of martyr character she had isn’t the kind that I wanted to hate. Jase kept on “leading her on”. Sometimes, he makes her feel like a princess, and then he leaves her alone just like that, and comes back again with his “reasons”. She tries to stand up for herself but ends up giving in, and forgiving him.

* SIGGGGGGHHHHH

Why girl? Why? I do not understand you have to be like that? I know that you love him, loved him ever since you were a teen. But doesn’t it seem tiring? It seemed tiring to me. And this scenario happened over and over in the book that it just bored me when it happened again. Tiring enough for me to not even be angry because of how martyred she was.

Then there’s Jase. With Jase I am actually pissed. Why him and not her? Simple. I hate how indecisive he was, to the point that he just looked like he was playing with her. I know that it seems unfair and a bit sexist that I’m pissed off at him and not the girl, and I’m sorry for that, but its just how I honestly feel about it. Hmm… okay, to make it more clear, I don’t hate him, I just dislike him when he’s in that certain situation, but other that those scenarios, he’s a pretty decent and funny guy. He’s a great guy actually, except in “those” situations.

But when I think about it rationally. I would definitely agree that both of them have their own faults with the relationship. She for not standing up for herself and being firm with her decision. And him for being indecisive, and running away when things get shaky.

MY FINAL NOTE

Overall the book wasn’t really bad. Actually, I kinda sorta like it. But not enough for me to be wowed by the whole book. There were just a few things, important things, about it that I didn’t like.

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Lynn.

CONNECT WITH HER:

FacebookTwitter | Website | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Jase sounds like an ass, honestly, haha! It's too bad you didn't like this one, Jules, since you liked JLA's other book. :/ I'll definitely be wary of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I liked almost all of it, but Jase does have her douche moments a lot. :/

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!