January 10, 2014

Book Review: Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross (5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:


Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.

But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns.

MY OPINION:

I love fairy tales.

I love how timeless they are. For me they are the foundation of every fantasy book out there in this modern time. I've been picky with the modern retellings of classic books. Especially those that I've known since my childhood. Reading Kill Me Softly, did not disappoint me. In fact, it gave me hope that there will be more blooming retellings as beautiful as this.

Unlike most "fairy tale" themed novel out there. This book has all the fairy tale books that I've known since my existence. Some stories found here, I only found out when I read it. This talked about Mira who went to Beau Rivage to search for her parents grave. But then she encounters two men that might change her ways in life.

I had to admit that I had a hard time finishing this book. Not because it was bad, but because it was felt too long to read. The story was dragging too much that I had to take multiple breaks because I got bored in the middle of it. I think that what I really don't like about this book. But there are many things that make up how dragging it was. I could really imagine the place that they were in. Technically its not world building because they're still in "earth" if I say. But I could clearly see how the setting are, and that made a good effect while reading it. But I guess the characters were all so endearing too.

I'm not Mira's most favorite fan. Okay, I'm downplaying it. I plain hate how she is. Sorry to say but she's one naive lady. I have high tolerance for naive ladies most of the time, but this was just irritating as hell.


Seriously?! Do you really have to freaking fall in love with the most handsomest guy EVER. Even though you just met him days ago! What the heck!? I'm all in with handsome guys. I mean c'mon I do get an itsy bitsy crush on hot guys. BUT DANG I DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM IN LESS THAN A WEEK HONEY! You could say that I really didn't like her that much. She was just dense to not see clearly and she's too stubborn to see the plain truth screaming in her face. Though she did get better, I acknowledge that but lets just say her naivety was just too much for me.

From a mile away, I already see Felix as trouble. And not trouble in an attractive way. If I were Mira. I would've ran like the devil was chasing me (Pun intended). I did find Blue attractive. He's not really the flashy type when he likes a girl. But you could definitely see that he cares. I like how Blue and Mira bicker a lot.  Though its not the best love-relationship I've seen. Its definitely better than the insta-love style that happened.

So I guess. You're wondering. Why in the heck would I like this book so much if I have a lot to hate about it? Truth is, I just loved how Ms. Sarah had rewrote the most classical story and made it seem as if they were her own. I love how I recognized those fairy tales I've known since I was a child. And I was excited to see more fairy tales that I cold read about. The plot was good. Pacing was great.

Its a no-brainer actually that I would want to read its sequel. I can't wait to check that out.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

If you love fairy tales. If you want to see yourself reminscing your favorite fairy tales from your childhood. Better yet, if you love adaptations. You should definitely read Kill Me Softly.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Sarah Cross is the author of the fairy tale novel Kill Me Softly, the superhero novel Dull Boy, and the Wolverine comic "The Adamantium Diaries." She loves fairy tales, lowbrow art, secret identities and silence.

CONNECT WITH HER:

WebsiteTwitterFacebook

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have a hate-love relationship with Kill Me Softly! The reviews on Goodreads seem to be all over the place-some of them are very positive while some seemed to have DNF-ed it.

    P.S.-I really like what you've done with the layout now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!