November 4, 2013

Book Review: Dare you to by Katie McGarry

Dare You To by Katie McGarry (4.5 Stars)





Blurb from Goodreads:

Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....


MY OPINION:

As usual Katie McGarry touched my heart with an emotional story.

This isn't Beth's home. She's used to that douchebag Trent, she's used to caring for her pathetic poor mother, she's used to being in Isiah's tattooed arms, seeing Noah with Echo, cuddling in the corner. She's not used to here in with Scott and his wife. She's not fit in her new school, where everyone is perfect. And she's definitely not used to Ryan's being in her life.

Let me get this straight. Beth is a straight beeyach. Sorry to say, but I was absolutely pissed with her in the first book because she's just so bitchy with Echo. At first I was a bit surprised that McGarry would write Beth's story (Sorry for being harsh, I was a bit of a hater then XD) but then I read the blurp and I was like: "I have to read this!!". Then I read all of my friends' reviews and I was like: "Dang, I really, really neeeeed to read this!!!". And I feel so good because I finally understood why my GR Friends liked it so much.

Reading Dare you to is a bit of a change for me. The plot of the book isn't really that original, but I love the writing style and pacing, because it was well written and... you can really feel that there's life to the story. It wasn't just the usual story where a guy meets girl. Furthermore, its not just a love story, it can also be a story of friendship, love, family and trust. I love how their love was formed between the two of them. I appreciated that they really trusted each other before they said the "three words". The fact that the romance wasn't force nor was it instant, made it much more believable. I also love how their story progressed. Even the way that Ryan handled their relationship surprised me.

I love them both. I don't know who I love more between the two of them, because they had the traits that I find amusing and admiring. Beth, at first yes. I was just expecting that she would be the usual bitchy girl that she's so used to being. But then, I saw a side in her where she's more than just what she wants people to see. In the outside, Beth Risk is hard, unnerving, stoic and rude. But in the inside, she's soft, caring, vulnerable, hurt, afraid. The fact that I finally saw who she was probably is the reason why I seemed to like her. Don't get me wrong, I love a fiesty girl, not a bitchy one. I love a girl with a dark past (makes them more interesting) but I don't like naive, and stupid ones. Beth is definitely not bitchy or naive. In a way she's a perfect mix of both (in my opinion). But what I not expected is Ryan.

I admit. I am a bit of a flirt ^^ (When it comes to book characters ONLY XD) and I usually fall either for the bad guy, the hurt guy or both. Not that I hate good guys but sometimes they were too good that they become too bland. With Ryan. He makes good look awesome. I love him a lot, because of the way he acts with Beth. He respects her, and he knows his boundaries when it comes to her. He's a complete gentleman, but you can see that he really cares for her. I love Isaiah, but something Ryan is just compelling you to like him. And I did. A LOT.

But more than that, I appreciated how Beth finally saw what's happening in her life. I love that Ryan finally stood up for himself. I love how Beth finally learned how to open herself up to friendship and a new family. It was a good perfect ending for them both.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Dare you to is a stunning novel about love, family and trust. It held my attention, it made me cry, it made me emotional. A different and satisfying read. 

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!