October 26, 2013

Book Review: Splintered by A.G Howard

Splintered by A.G Howard (5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own

MY OPINION:

Eerie. Magical. Alice in Wonderland.

Those are three of my favorite things :)

*Sigh* I’m actually having a hard time describing why I liked the book so much. I’ve been trying to organize my thoughts about the book, but its hard when all I think of describing it is, “Awesome”, “Magical”, and “Eerie”. Which it is. But I feel like such a wuss for just stating those already used descriptions for great books. Because Splintered is a great book, but its not just that. There is something special about it.

First of all, everybody in my life knows that I have this obsession and infatuation with Lewis Carrol’s story “Alice in Wonderland”. I’ve read the book and I’ve also drawn the characters in my imagination (In fact, I’m making a pen art series of all my most favorite characters of Alice In Wonderland). I’ve been a bit pessimistic with books that are adapted from classics because some of those books couldn’t par with the original ones (I know their different from the original story but I can’t help it!!) But this book is different. I loved that it was like a walkthrough of the original story, only in a different point of view.

Even though the characters were adapted from the classic story, A.G Howard wrote them as her own, making them a different version of the classic characters of Alice in Wonderland. I saw the original characters-Mad Hatter, The Red Queen, The White Rabbit, The Caterpillar, Cheshire Cat-every memorable character was reincarnated in a whole different way. And I loved it, because it was such an amazing twist to the famous classic.

Reading Splintered was a fun ride. I appreciated that from the start of the book, up to the end. The adrenaline coursed throughout the story. I was instantly bombarded with secrets and action. By then, I knew it was going to be a good book. The plot of the book is one-fourths predictable and three-fourths mystery. I knew from the original book of what happened in the original story. But there were a lot of twists in the story that completely swerved my mind. The pacing was de-lish. It was written to build anticipation. And it was made well.

Being obsessed with the characters of the classic book. I found it pretty easy to accept A.G Howard’s interpretation of the classic characters. I’m a bit surprised about Morpheus though. I’ve always thought that writers found Mad Hatter or Cheshire to be more mysterious and interesting. I had to admit, that seeing how Morpheus in the story, how he really affected Alyssa’s life. I found it easy to like him, especially since he is kinda hot ;)

I’m still debating whether I like Alyssa. Since the start to 3/4ths the story, she’s been nothing but a mary sue character. I was kinda annoyed that she even had the guts to try and get through Wonderland alone if she just let Jeb do all the fighting for her. But fortunately, the last 1/4th of the story was actually a nice change for her character. Though I wished that it was a balance. Because I really hated her mary-sue side.

I am definitely in Team Morpheus. Not that I hate Jeb or anything. Jeb is a very very fine guy. But I just love how mysterious and dark Morpheus is. In an unbiased opinion. I think their both great. They both did things for Alyssa. Things that might’ve cost their life. They’re both handsome, but charming, both equally likeable. But I am still in Team Morpheus. I can’t help it! He’s just so mysterious, dark, and eep hot >.<

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Overall, the book was beautiful. The writing, the story, the way the characters compliment each other, It did justice to “Alice in Wonderland”. Taking inspiration from the classic novel, and making it something like her own. I loved it. I rarely saw books like this. I am glad that I had the chance to read it :) Brava A.G Howard :)

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

A.G. Howard was inspired to write SPLINTERED while working at a school library. Her pastimes are reading, rollerblading, gardening, and family vacations which often include impromptu side trips to 18th century graveyards or condemned schoolhouses to appease her overactive muse.

Her debut YA fantasy, SPLINTERED, a dark Alice in Wonderland spinoff, is now available from Amulet Books. The sequel, UNHINGED, is due to launch January 2014. 


CONNECT WITH HER:

(Even her website and blog is eerie XD)

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads  

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this one as well (not as much as you did, though)! I definitely agree that it did justice to Alice in Wonderland. What I couldn't agree with, though, is that you're team Morpheus, lol! Team Jeb right here! (Not judging you or anything--I totally respect your opinion.)

    Christie @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I agree with you :D
      I don't even understand why I like Morpheus so much. Because to put it bluntly, he's a douchebag. But I like him... A lot, and I don't know why. ;)

      Delete
  2. This books looks extremely interesting and the cover is actually really pretty! It was great to read your review on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!