October 12, 2013

Book Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (10 Stars)







Blurb from Goodreads:

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

MY OPINION:

I thought it would all be about love and happy endings. Boy was I wrong, and I did not expect this at all. And I mean that in the most happiest way.

Life's pretty simple for Louisa Clark. She was an ordinary waitress at a little cafe in her small town, but little did she know was when she lost her job. Life would offer her something much more bigger than her little job in town.

How do I describe reading this book? Surprising? Unexpected? Emotional? Raw. Yup, I think those words would be apt to describe the feelings I had while reading it. I didn't even think it would be like this too. Don't get me wrong but the cover is a bit deceiving.

I saw this book when I saw my fellow Goodreads friend review and rave about how awesome it was and how it was such a great read. At the time, I was trying to find something that was a light and cute to read. And I kinda thought that this would be a light read, so I decided that I should read this book.

I didn't get light... it was soooooo emotional... AND I LOVE IT!!

The plot of the book was so predictable and unpredictable at the same. I kinda expected some things from it that did happen but a lot of things also happened that I did not expect at all. It blew me away, because even if I did expect something from it. I always got swerved with how she completely changes the turn out! The pacing was a also great because I didn't feel rushed to finish it, nor was it too slow. I love that Ms Jojo took the time to really build the character and show who they are and what they want.

I was kinda surprised to know that this book wasn't really in a teenage setting. They were adults here, and though I don't read a lot of adult books, this one was an exeption. Louisa was definitely a character. I love that she was such a quirky person. She was weird with her clothes and yet she's pretty simple. Somehow there's something that sets her apart from all the other heroines out there. I can't pinpoint what it is but, there's just something about her that will pull you in. Will. I have to admit that he is an arse. Truly. But though he is like that, I could see a lot of good things about him. I love that despite his situation, he seemed... lively and fun. So opinionated and smart. Yes he is obviously handsome as any main character in a book, but that's not the thing that made me like him so much. He had enough brains and wit for me to be attracted for me to be attracted by that alone. 'Cuz hello! Smart guys are sexy ;). But of course, other than that, he was the most perceptive guy ever. I love that he easily understands the situation without having to ask too many questions. I also love and admire the fact that he became an unlikely friend for Lou. I love how their relationship started as well. They built a comical friendship. They were like cats and dogs and I loved every playful banter they had. And I loved that they had this foundation of friendship first before having other feelings.

This was the fourth book that made me baul like a child. Made me so emotional and out of sorts. It made me again realize how life is important and how I should be living to the fullest. I loved every moment with it, but I wish I could change the ending. But still whatever happened in the end. From the start to the finish. I knew it would be beautiful. And it was.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

It made me laugh, it made me think and it made me cry. Me Before You is an extraordinary novel about life, possibilities and hope. I loved every minute of it.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Jojo Moyes was born in 1969 and grew up in London. After a varied career including stints as a minicab controller, typer of braille statements for blind people for NatWest, and brochure writer for Club 18-30 she did a degree at Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, London University.

She has been a full time novelist since 2002, when her first book, Sheltering Rain was published. She lives on a farm in Essex with her husband, journalist Charles Arthur, and their three children.

CONNECT WITH HER:
Website | Facebook | Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Books that make people things are really the best ones. I seriously want this book now, LOL.

    Christie @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I first saw it I knew that I should have it. AS IN NOW XD

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!