August 22, 2013

Series Review: Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead (4.5-5 Stars)


   
   



MY OPINION:
Wow. After a lot of vampire novels, the usual bloodsuckers, violent, bloodlust antagonist. Vampire Academy is a standout amongst great vampire novels.

I never really had any real plans to read this series at all. Just because I've read a few vampire novels then, and all of them seemed so... cliche and mainstream to really be fully appreciated. But that didn't mean that I wasn't curious about it. Everybody just kept sreaming: "Dimitri!! Ohmy... Dimitri!!!!!" and a lot of..."Adriaaaaaaan! Please just choose me <3". Then when I read other blogs most of them acknowledge VA as an awesome series. It wasn't till my neighbor(and childhood friend ;D) suggested that this was really awesome. So I took her word for it.

It was worth it.

Moroi. Dhamphir. Strigoi.
Royal. Guardian. Enemy.
Magic. Power. Death.

In the world of Moroi and Dhamphirs where Royals are protected by their Guardians. One particular pair stands out from this race. Rosemary Hathaway, the defiant guardian of Vasillisa Dragomir. You would think that with such ordinary titles they would be just a simple pair of friends. But there are other plans for them. As the future becomes more blurred to see, they had to face all different kind of obstacles to achieve their desired future, and most importantly... to survive.

THE STORY AND CHARACTERS

Its a bit different to read the VA Series. Richelle Mead had a different kind of way of writing novels. Most novels are well arranged and clear cut. Richelle Mead wrote the VA Series with a very detailed description, not in a babbling way, but in a manner that makes you absorb the story more. Everything is well defined, it was like seeing it before my eyes, like I was really there.

What I felt while reading the VA Series was much more than learning more from a story. It gave a certain amount of adrenaline. It made me so eager to read more with how exciting each turn of events are. Every secret revealed, every fight made, was very enchanting. It took me away. I'm writing cheezy words already. But the truth is, VA Series was simply beautiful. I loved that it made me laugh, it broke my heart (multiple times), it made me squeel. I think there's no other adjectives needed to describe how much I enjoyed this book.

And just as I loved the whole story itself. As I continued reading, I also continued to love the characters, more and more with each book. I loved that Richelle Mead wrote her characters as if they were real people. There was nothing fake about her characters. They all seemed real and vibrant that they just attracted attention. I also loved how the characters grew as the story neared the end. They didn't just stay as who they were at the beggining. All of them changed in a manner that made me appreciate them more. They became much more greater versions of themselves thus making them much more lovable characters.

MY TOP THREE'S

Top Three Characters I loved


  1. Dimitri Belikov - What made Dimitri as my most loved character in the series would be how compassionate he was. Three major things I loved about him would be how mysterious he was, how humble he was despite being a god (well it is a bit true), and (shallowness aside) he is just so handsome ;P
  2. Abe Mazur - Well I loved him for a lot of things one because he was super funny. He has this mafia look/pirate man appearance to him. But I could definitlely imagine him as someone handsome. His unique humor is actually very amusing though it is a bit bothersome :>
  3. Rose Hathaway - She's a kick-ass heroine, suuuuuper funny, pretty, has no nonsense attitude, frank, and most of all lively. Well I'm finding it hard to have no reason to not like her at all.

Top Three Quotes

"I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass." --Rose Hathaway

"Bound by Love, But sworn to Kill..."

"Everyone has light around them, except for you. You have shadows."

Top Three Moments

(In random order. Can't choose which is my fave moment.)
  • There was this moment in Blood Promise, where Rose finally found Dimitri. It wasn't really that big of a deal, but I swear my heart stopped when Rose finally saw him.
  • I loved it when Adrian kept flirting with Rose (all around the series) <3 *fangirl mode on!*
  • Last would be when (sorry for spoiling) this scene happened:

    See, here’s the thing. In that moment before I let go, I really had been contemplating my death. I’d come to terms with it and accepted it. I also, however, had known Dimitri might do something exactly like this. He was just that fast and that good. That was why I was holding my stake in the hand that was dangling free.

    I looked him in the eye. "I will always love you."

    Then I plunged the stake into his chest.

    It wasn’t as precise a blow as I would have liked, not with the skilled way he was dodging. I struggled to get the stake in deep enough to his heart, unsure if I could do it from this angle. Then, his struggles stopped. His eyes stared at me, stunned, and his lips parted, almost into a smile, albeit a grisly and pained one.

    "That’s what I was supposed to say. . .” he gasped out.

    Those were his last words."
Reviews for two books in the series:

Vampire Academy (#1)
Frostbite (#2)

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time: Georgina Kincaid, Dark Swan, and Vampire Academy.

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

CONNECT WITH HER:

2 comments:

  1. OMG SO GLAD YOU DECIDED TO READ THESE. I love them so much, yes Abe, Dimitri and Rose are all awesome! Seriously that scene you posted is the most heart-breaking scene EVER.
    Now you have to read the Bloodlines series, the fourth ones coming out in November!
    ~Tilly @ Hardcore Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. I'm salivating to read Bloodlines! I read a few reviews of Bloodlines just to tease myself, It advanced to the top of my TBR list that's for sure :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!