August 20, 2013

Book Review: Out of Breath by Rebecca Donovan

Out of Breath by Rebecca Donovan (4.5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

Emma leaves Weslyn and everyone in it behind to attend Stanford University, just as she always intended. A shell of her former self, she is not the same girl. She is broken, and the only way that she’ll be whole again is through forgiveness. Emma must find a way to forgive herself and recognize her own worth before she can receive the love she deserves. This final installment will have readers holding their breath until the very last page.




MY OPINION:

Not bad, but it wasn't as awesome as the first two books :|

She's in her dream school. Everything is supposed to be great. She left because she didn't want others to get hurt, Emma left because she was supposed to make the people around her be happy. But why is she miserable?

(Top paragraph is read with irony please)

I loved this series. From the start, despite how many people said that it was too depressing of a story (which is actually true) despite all the bad reviews. I ended up loving the first two books so much, that I just had to read the last of the trilogy, it was great. But not as great as the first two books.

It was still emotional. It had the kind of drama that isn't too much like drama t.v, but still enough for it to be intense. It held the same kind of writing style from the previous books. And it still had the characters that I loved, and a few more others that made it another worthwhile read. What I particularly liked about Out of Breath would be how the story was written. It fairly answered all of the questions in my mind when Barely Breathing finished. Though it doesn't mean that I loved the answer to these questions, I was glad that there were no blank areas in the story. Then there was the humor that made me grin till my face hurt. I appreciate how the humor was well put here. It didn't really alter the atmosphere of the story, instead it gave variety to it. I loved that the humor was also light and not too forced.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book at all, would be Emma. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Emma. I felt bad for her in the first book, I don't understand her in the second book, and I don't like her at the last. Sad, yes, but I can't find myself to see her mindset (even though I tried). She's just so damn stubborn, and I can't understand why she keeps on doing things that would clearly hurt those around her. Though she had valid reasons that I could take into account, I still find it hard to try and like her, or maybe even accept her actions. They were just wrong, not because they were mistakes. But because she kept, and kept and kept doing them, thus hurting those around her. It was insensitive in my opinion.

But of course there were other characters that made me love the book more. Of course the new guy Cole. Though he didn't stay until the end, I still appreciated him, especially because of his personality. Plus he's very very hot :3. Of course Evan is another of my (still) favorite characters. His patience knows no bounds, and I love him for that. I love how understanding he was, how compassionate and loving he is. I just admire everything about him :D. Then of course there's Evan's crazy but very funny friends and Emma's cute and quirky roommates including her long time friend Sara.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Overall I loved reading Out of Breath. Though there were some points in the story where I didn't like a certain part or moment, it was still a great book. I finally saw the real ending of this girl who had no one to defend her. No one to really call her family. It gave me a certain kind of closure to the story. I will miss the characters, but I hope there's a new story to read from Rebecca Donovan

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Optimism seeps from every pore of my body. I truly believe what’s supposed to happen… will. In that regard, I don’t know how to give up; it’s not part of my biological make-up.

I’m a passionate (and some would say overly enthusiastic) individual. I learn by doing (and have been burned more times than I’d like to admit). But I will always throw my entire self into whatever I do – fail or succeed.

I think this is evident when I write. I leave nothing behind, and spill it all out onto the pages. I give it all to my readers – love it or hate it.

The path I’m on is very often my own. Sometimes I veer off at the sight of something more interesting or captivating and get caught in the vines and thorns in order to experience the beauty and intrigue others often pass by. And I always meet the most interesting people along the way…
-Rebecca Donovan
CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!