August 26, 2013

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (4.5 Stars)







Blurb from Goodreads:
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.



MY OPINION:

Okay, I'm confused. Why am I liking this compared to all the others?

I've been dreading to read this book for a lot of reasons. One is because of all the reviews by my favorite blogs that says that they hate this book, and that they wish that they didn't read it at all. Two is because of how negative all their reactions were, and how they said that the hero guy, isn't just a douchebag, but a complete jerk.

I've avoided this book for all the same reasons, I even expected myself to hate this book so much because a lot of people (even those who have similar taste in story and guys like me) who hated it.

But then why did I end up loving it so freaking much??

The plot of the book is actually quite simple, Emma is a normal 18 year old that lives her life like others, but it all changed when her bestfriend died. And she didn't expect life to change so greatly after she met possibly the most hottest guy ever and after her bestfriend dying.

Let me tell you that reading Of Poseidon is surprising but at the same time an enjoyment. Since I didn't have any expectations, I actually thought the worst because of the reviews (which I'm glad I didn't took in mind when I read it) so I caught myself of guard when I started reading it.

At first...
I was quite horrified that her bestfriend got killed at the first scene, that wasn't exactly good omen to me. It kinda felt kinda harsh for the heroine, so that made me think that maybe I wouldn't like it because if the bestfriend got killed off in no hurry, I expected more dead people to come, and I'm not exactly a fan of mass killing.

Then there's the other main character, Galen. Let me tell you that he was really hot. AND I'm not exaggerating, he is really hot. But then from the start of the book, I kinda noticed that something was off about him. Not exactly bad per se, but there's something in him that I don't like or there's something missing about him that doesn't quite make me like him as much.

I also didn't like the different POV, which I read from other reviews. I expected it to be like that, but its actually disappointing that the other POV isn't in Galen's perspective. It would give the story much more character if that happened. Though I didn't hate the different style of dual POV writing. I don't necessarily hate it either.

I was also concerned about the characters themselves. Sure they're from another world, I've read plenty of series which have characters living from other places, dimensions, planets, etcetera, etcetera. Their attitude and nature wasn't just weird. It was bothersome. They were extremely temperamental. They are very violent, not too much for me to be scared, but it bothered me that they handled their temper by a punch, or slap or other physical things.

But that was then!! This is now

I loved how the whole concept of the Syrena was. Sure it was a bit complicated at first but its still interesting enough for me to still be curious despite the reviews I've read about it. The Plot of the book isn't that fabulous, but the surprise and the twists of the story was ah-may-ziiiiiiiiing. Pacing was a bit off, not bad, but sometimes my brain needs to catch up with the suddenly different scene. But its only just a little.

I love love love the characters. They were all refreshing people to read about, I love that they were a bit exaggerated because it added the effect of them being in a "different" world with humans. Rayna was pretty humorous, sure she was a quality kind of a beeyach at first but then I saw that she just has a lot of spunk in her, which I both adore and sometimes get annoyed with. Toraf was funny, in the usual kind of way. I don't really like him a lot, but I am amused by him. I love Emma's mom, especially when they had a conversation about Galen! You shouldn't miss that part. It. Is. Hilarious. Even Rachel cute. Overall the supporting characters where slightly above meh. But I don't really like them as much as the main characters.

In the reviews it was said that Emma was mary-sue and naive. Well its half truth. I do admit that she's a blusher, she blushes so hard I wonder if the only blood circulating in her body is between her brain, her face and her heart. She's clumsy, she's definitely pretty, she has attributes of being a mary-sue character. But she's definitely not much like that. Her physical attributes and that clumsiness might put her in the mary-sue title. But her attitude and personality is anything but that. I love that she has this knowledge that she has the right to not follow anyone's order if she doesn't want to. Royal or not. She has spunk, she knows what she wants and what she deserves. She didn't let anyone bully her. She's a fighter, and I love her for that. I love that despite that appearance and blushing she does, she's fierce. And she didn't let Galen turn her into mush (at least on the outside, she's definitely mushy inside XD)

And then there's the thing about Galen. Some said he's bossy and that he orders everyone around. True. Considering who he is, its understandable why he was like that, but that didn't happen for a long time, at some point I got to like Galen a lot. Not just because he's hot (I just have to say that) but because he's kind, he's understanding. I love that despite him being comfortable around the ways of humans, he tried. Because he wanted to understand Emma. He didn't push her at all. He's more of a bad boy in the outside but definitely sweet and soft in the inside. He cares for his family, his kind, his friends. And that isn't exactly what a bad person is.

I think the hate for the book is a bit confusing. Sure its not that amazing, but its certainly not ugly. In fact it is one of the most funniest books I've read the whole month. It made me smile a lot, and I appreciate that it isn't forced or corny. It is funny. Sure the attraction between Emma and Gallen is pretty obvious and cliche, but it happens. And frankly I'm not all bothered by it, probably because they fight more that talk XD

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

This book isn't exactly the most best book I've read. But it definitely made me smile, it brought butterflies in my stomach, and its interesting, but overall it was a good read. And I'm glad that I didn't miss the chance to read a good book.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

(Her biography at GR is awesome XD)

New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.

Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. I graduated from Niceville High School. So did J Lo's second husband. And the guy that plays Aqua Man on Smallville dated my best friend.

Now I indulge my tendency to lie by writing the lies down and selling them to publishers. Well actually my agent sells it, so she's an accomplice to lies. One of my lies is called OF POSEIDON. The sequel is called OF TRITON. I'm still making up the third lie, OF NEPTUNE.

And um. I also write adult fiction under pen name Anna Scarlett. One of the adult lies is DEGREES OF WRONG.

That is all.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews about the book. I'm a bit hesitant to read it, but it is on my TBR list. Great review!

    It's my blogoversary today, would you mind checking out my giveaway at www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at first too. But I ended up loving it so I guess it really depends on the reader. :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!