August 9, 2013

Book Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:
When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.


MY OPINION:


Photo found at WeHeartIt, editing by Jules of Jules Bookshelf
Wow, this book is amaaaaaazing. Not necessarily at first, but WOW was it awesome when you continue.

She's in Europe, supposedly having the best time in her life, getting inspiration and knowledge, but Allyson didn't find that it Europe, in France. Instead she fell in love, in just one day, and came home full of heartbreak. After a year, and she still can't forget him, how could he take over her life? It was just one day.

You would probably guess my negativity with reading this, but it came none other from one of the best authors Gayle Forman, so it was worth a shot to read. When I started reading it, I was instantly annoyed. Why? Because the girl is just naive, and I hate naive girls. No offense I know that the guy was hot and charming but he's a stranger. Duh! Of course I was already suspicious. Then as the story continued, sure I kinda started to like Willem, but that still doesn't changes the fact that he's just someone unknown, I wasn't even sure what his agenda was. It was bad enough that Allyson was with a stranger, he also slept with him, and claimed her love for him.


Wow, that was fast. This was probably the only reason why I didn't like the book, I mean c'mon.Who falls in love in just one day? Though they did experience a lot of things in a span of a day, I still don't like the fact that she just gave herself to him. And as you would probably guessed what happened the day after was sudden but not really unexpected.

This was where I started to have a much more deeper interest with the book. After her experience in Paris, Allyson changed drastically. Her grades dropped so low, she became an anti-social, she basically lost interest over everything. Her problems, how she handled it wasn't what old Allyson would react to. Her problems just became too big that even her parents knew what happened to her grades.

The way Gayle Forman wrote all of these were raw, emotional, true. I instantly felt Allyson's hurt, depression, her lack of hope. It in the end, made me feel sad and emotional. This was where I really understood Allyson's situation, why she ended up the way she was. And I couldn't really blame her, what happened to her is hard, especially because she had no one to depend on.

Allyson was the type of character you'd either hate of love. It just so happened that I ended up loving her, and rooted for her happiness. I loved how persevered to change herself for the better, despite of it being hard. I especially loved how she came to the point that she finally saw that she wasn't happy, and that she did something to change that. Reading what happened to her, seeing her grow was a delight to see.

Reading Just One Day was an emotional read because I related with it a lot. Gayle's message was clear, and you could really understand what she's trying to say with this book. It dealt with a topic so common for others but rarely talked about or answered. What happened to Allyson, her story served as an inspriation, it will make you realize that despite of all the hardships and unfairness in life, we could always compromise to find what makes us happy. We could always do what we love.

Life would be hard, and it would be a bit sad to live in it sometimes, but we have friends, good and true friends. Loving parents. Dreams and most especially Hope.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I'm sorry if the review is a bit unorganized, it kinda felt like I just babbled, but in a nutshell this is what I trully felt about this book. I was so absorbed with it that I didn't see the blemishes and shortcomings of the book. It was funny, emotional, inspiring. Gayle Forman's writing is enchanting and I am sure, whether you like the book or not. You will understand the beautiful message it holds.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Gayle Forman is an award-winning author and journalist whose articles have appeared in such publications as Jane, Seventeen, Glamour, Elle, and The New York Times Magazine, to name just a few. She lives in New York City with her husband and daughter.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Email: info@gayleforman.com

3 comments:

  1. Well, it was a challenged to write something and put all the events and ingredients, also the emotion in one day. I'm actually intrigued to read this.

    Arra
    Style Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I absolutely adored this book from start to finish.. it's one of those books where I could over look anything like the fact they fell in love in just one day because it's Gayle Forman and Gayle Forman writes the most beautiful, inspiring stories. I'm glad you enjoyed this book despite the rocky start!

    - Sadie @ Lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people love this book and I just havent had the time for it, but hopefully soon. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!