July 20, 2013

Book Review: Wild Roses by Deb Caletti

Wild Roses by Deb Caletti (1 Star)


Blurb from GoodreadsSeventeen-year-old Cassie Morgan lives with a time bomb (a.k.a. her stepfather,
Dino Cavalli). To the public, Dino is a world-renowned violin player and composer. To Cassie, he's an erratic, self-centered bully. And he's getting worse: He no longer sleeps, and he grows increasingly paranoid. Before, Cassie was angry. Now she is afraid.

Enter Ian Waters: a brilliant young violinist, and Dino's first-ever student. The minute Cassie lays eyes on Ian she knows she's doomed. Cassie thought she understood that love could bring pain, but this union will have consequences she could not have imagined.

In the end, only one thing becomes clear: In the world of insanity, nothing is sacred....



MY OPINION:

One word to describe Wild Roses would be cheezy. As well as boring, slow, and irritating. Harsh, yes. But true. At least for me.

Cassie is having a hard time. She's falling, but its with a wrong person, and at the wrong time. Cassie's seeing things that are totally different with Dino, her stepfather. How could this affect her mother, her father, and her new found love?

Please note how I accentuated "love", because for me, what happened with Cassie and Ian is not what I consider love at all. Wild Roses is a mass of contradictions. When I first read it, it felt like reading fiction based on a person's life (I think there's a story about Dino somewhere, just not sure whether he's fictional or not), that's probably what I didn't like most about it, I wasn't reading about Cassie's story at all, it felt like I was learning/seeing Dino's story through Cassie's eyes. The plot isn't really brilliant at all, its mostly mainstream and way too used in my opinion. The pacing is what I'm most irritated about. It was just so dang slow to read, but at the same time, it held no real content to be worth reading, I was practically skimming, not caring if I missed a lot of details at all.

Another thing I hated about it would be the unrealistic formation of love. It was insta-love, and not the kind that I could tolerate, it was so unrealistic because Cassie fell in love with Ian without really thinking about it, it just happened then poof! Done! She's in love with Ian. Other than that, I also didn't like how their "love" progressed. It was just bleh. There was no connection that I could truly feel, it looked like they were a couple, but I didn't feel it at all. Their relationship lacks the kind of connection I usually find in most stories.

I'm not trying to bash Deb for her writing, (I'm reading The Nature of Jade and I'm liking it so far) but this particular book of hers isn't really in my taste. Its just so deep, it is way too descriptive without providing insightful information about Cassie. It felt like I was reading Cassie babble in her brain, its way too messy, and sometimes I don't even understand her babble. I can't say that I hate or like Cassie, Ian, Dino and all the other characters. They were all just meh for me, other than Bunny, who was pretty dang funny. I didn't enjoy  Wild Roses at all.

I'd like to make my review short, so simply put... I didn't like Wild Roses I hated how it was so bland, so slow, so cheezy, too mary-sue even. I can tolerate a lot of books that could irritate a lot of people, but this is just too much.

MY ENDING NOTE

I can't say that this is a horrible book. Some people may like it... maybe not, but this is just a meh for me. I don't like the ending, I don't like how the story progressed. Wild Roses isn't a horrible book, it just didn't click with me.

1 comment:

  1. So sad .. I so loved "Stay" ... I'll see what you end up thinking of "Wild Roses". :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!