July 27, 2013

Book Review: The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti

The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti (4 stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

I am not my illness. "Girl with Anxiety," "Trauma of the Week" -- no. I hate stuff like that. Everyone, everyone has their issue. But the one thing my illness did make me realize is how necessary it is to ignore the dangers of living in order to live. And how much trouble you can get into if you can't. Jade DeLuna is too young to die. She knows this, and yet she can't quite believe it, especially when the terrifying thoughts, loss of breath, and dizzy feelings come. Since being diagnosed with Panic Disorder, she's trying her best to stay calm, and visiting the elephants at the nearby zoo seems to help. That's why Jade keeps the live zoo webcam on in her room, and that's where she first sees the boy in the red jacket. A boy who stops to watch the elephants. A boy carrying a baby.

His name is Sebastian, and he is raising his son alone. Jade is drawn into Sebastian's cozy life with his son and his activist grandmother on their Seattle houseboat, and before she knows it, she's in love. With this boy who has lived through harder times than anyone she knows. This boy with a past.

Jade knows the situation is beyond complicated, but she hasn't felt this safe in a long time. She owes it all to Sebastian, her boy with the great heart. Her boy who is hiding a terrible secret. A secret that will force Jade to decide between what is right, and what feels right.

Master storyteller Deb Caletti has once again created characters so real, you will be breathless with anticipation as their riveting story unfolds.

MY OPINION:


Wow, ugh. I don't know how to describe how I liked this book. Its kinda hard to describe in clear detail on why I loved reading this book. So I'll just give you the nub and gist of my opinion.

Why do I like this book?

Well, its because I enjoyed how inspritational it was. It made me realize again. How life isn’t really perfect. Jade’s life is something a lot of person would get to relate to. I got to really connect with her character and understand her life, all the decisions she made was understandable to me.

Her life, everything that is happening in the story is totally relatable to every teen out there, it made me feel a connection with Jade with her. I understood her pain, her heartbreak, her reasons. Everything she did, I understood. I loved Sebastian, he is such a dearie and I love him dearly for a lot of things. For his love for Bo, his simple, uncomplicated love to Jade. I love him. Period.

But most of all, the book talked about a topic that I can personally relate to. Deb Caletti did great with her writing, and how she wrote the situation. I give a big thumbs up with how she made the story a relatable yet emotional kind of a book. She wrote it beautifully and without any false feelings.

What I didn’t like

The bit of insta-love. I just don’t understand how Jade just suddenly liked Sebastian. It kinda irritates me more like, it looooks so unrealistic, I MEAN, WHAT KIND OF GIRL LIKES A GUY INSTANTLY, ESPECIALLY THROUGH A CAMERA LENS!!! WHAT THE FUDGE!

Well that’s the only reason why I don’t like it.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Even though my review is short, I'd strongly encourage you to read this book. This is definitely worth the time and effort that I've used in reading this. I had the connection, and I think a lot of people would relate with this. A. Lot.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

 Deb Caletti is an American writer born in San Rafael, California. She was a National Book Award finalist, as well as the recipient of other numerous awards including PEN USA finalist award, the Washington State Book Award, and SLJ Best Book award.
Deb went to Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, Washington, U.S.A., and graduated in 1981. She earned a BA in Journalism/Communications from the University of Washington in Seattle in 1985. She currently resides in Issaquah, Washington.
A series of television films based on Caletti's novels is currently in production.



CONNECT WITH HER:
WebsiteFacebookTwitterFeed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!