June 16, 2013

Book Review: Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson

Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson (2.5 Stars)


I had really good expectations for this, but it wasn't THAT awesome.




Blurb from Goodreads:

16 year old Eden Matthews has been in and out of private schools for the last two years. Kingsley is her last chance to finish high school and she is determined to simply do that. But when she meets Kiran Kendrick and her world opens to something she thought only existed in fairy tales, she's unsure what her future will hold. Suddenly she is captivated by a boy who seems to be the source of all of her problems and struggling to rescue her best friend from a foreign prison. When attempts are made on Kiran's life, Eden alone must save him. Thrust into a world that is more make-believe than reality, Eden has to find her own destiny without losing those she loves most. Reckless is an intricate story of mystery, adventure, magic and love. Eden Matthews is an unlikely heroine set on a path to save the world and her loved ones before its too late.

MY OPINION:

 I'm guessing you already know the numb and gist of this book. And I know that I usually tell my own version of the blurp but I'll cut to the chase. I love this book 40% at the time, and I also dislike it 60% of the time. There's just something missing to it.

What I liked reading about this was that it was magical, it has the great setting and plot that would definitely make you like the story instantly. As someone who loves reading fantasy, I admired how Rachel wrote the places and scenes where they show how magic works in the story. I liked that it had the overall, mystery effect at first, and it had this charm to it that made me want to continue reading it.

But at the same time, it pissed me off a couple of times in the first quarter of reading it, and then from the middle to the last. Mostly I'm more irritated with one character than the actual book. I really really got irritated at Eden for just being... Eden. It sound mean, yes, but she just annoys me in the most simplest ways. I don't like how she acts, she's spoiled, stubborn and sometimes ignorant of what's the best thing to do. She's also childish and immature. Another thing I don't like about her would be how bipolar she is with Kiran. One minute she hates him or is pissed at him, the next, when he sees him, she just turns to mush and is just all over him. The heck? I mean I know Kiran's hot and all that, but its just weird to see a girl all over a boy. It looks too sappy for me. Add to the fact that they were star-crossed lovers which also made it more cliché-ish.

Then there's Kiran. I had to admit that when I imagined him, he is someone I could consider hot. Blond, signature smirk, and then BRITISH. I mean, its like he was made to be attractive. But I didn't really like him a lot either. He confused me yes, made me squeal, made me angry, but even though he is who he is. He was just... meh for me.

The last two things I didn't like about this would be the first quarter of the book, and the writing style. I hated reading the first quarter because it was too much of a drag, I didn't like waiting too long for something climatic to happen. I got bored a dozen times. The writing style, is the thing I really don't like. I'm not saying that it was a BAD writing style, but I just don't dig it.

MY ENDING NOTE:

Overall, I didn't really hate or love reading Reckless Magic. It was more of a meh for me. But will I read the sequel? Yes. Why? Because I'm curious to see what would happen next. But that would be the only reason for me to continue, and frankly I don't have high expectations.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

I was born and raised in Nebraska, but spent my college years traveling the world. I fell in love with Eastern Europe, Paris, Indian Food and the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka. But I came back home to marry my high school sweetheart and now I spend my days raising our growing family. In those few spare moments I have, I am either reading or writing Young Adult Fiction, because I am obsessed with it.

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Goodreads | Email: rachel.higginson@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!