June 5, 2013

Book Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher (4 Stars)


I wanted drama... and I got it.



Blurb from Goodreads:
Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

MY OPINION:

I've always loved reading the most emotional story, call me a drama-queen or just a plain weirdo. But I love having to see the characters in some deep hurtful situation (That kinda sounds sadistic XD). I've read a dozen reviews of this book, almost all of them saying how much they had a love-hate relationship with it. And I admit, I kinda agree.

Caleb. After three years of their separation, the love, the hurt that Olivia has once felt, all came back. Just by seeing him, yards away. She's shocked that he even came here, even more shocked with the news of his amnesia. Olivia saw the chance... and she's not letting it go away again.

The moment I read the first review, I already saw how emotional it would be. Sure it had spoilers, but it is hard to write a review without spoiling some secrets. Maybe just a few

Reading The Opportunist was a different experience. I had firsthand knowledge of what would happen in the book because of the reviews that I've read, but I was happy (sad?) to say that there are a lot of things that would surprise, irritate, and make you love this book. It started out, as I said above, where Olivia saw Caleb again after their breakup, three years ago. Each chapter either talks about the present, where Olivia does everything to try and get back together with Caleb, and in the past, where their relationship started and how it progressed.

I slowly got to understand what happened between Caleb and Olivia, and then I also saw what Olivia kept on doing to themselves. What would really draw you in with The Opportunist would be how you saw the characters and their actions. I couldn't stop my interest with them, and I really wanted to see what their next move will be.

Caleb is a dearie. Everything that happened to him was awful. Even though he didn't know what Olivia did. I still saw how much of a good guy he was. Unlike most almost "perfect guys" he isn't even arrogant. He's sweet, confident, and funny. I didn't even saw an ounce of doucheness in him. Plus he looks so gorgeous. (He had AMBER EYES, DANG I LOVE GUYS WITH AMBER EYES XD).

    "Why did I miss the shot?" he repeated.
 "Because I cared more about knowing you than I did about winning another game."
Ermergerd. :D That. Is a real man :D

I had a tough time with Olivia. Sure I understand why she did those things. But still it was downright wrong and manipulative. I really really dislike her for being selfish, for being mean. For being desperate enough to do those things, but at the same time, I feel deep sympathy for her too. But that doesn't mean that what she did wasn't wrong, nothing could change the fact that she did a lot of nasty things to get Caleb back.

As for Leah, I can totally see from a mile away that she's gonna be one of those bitchy girls that would just do everything to get her guy. As I expected she turns out to be more irritable than Olivia. At least Olivia has a reason, though a bit desperate but a reason nonetheless. Leah is just so mean that I don't really had to give an effort to understand her. She's too much of an enigma, and I just don't understand her way of thinking.

Reading this made me see two things. Love can never be formed with lies. It will always come and come at 'ya and you have no choice but to face it. And lastly, I've proven, while reading this book. That indeed when you love someone you could let them go if it makes them happier. The ending of this book isn't what I would like, (I don't even know what I expect from it) but one thing is for sure. The ending was perfect for the characters situation.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

The Opportunist, was an awesome read. Dramatic, emotional. My new love-hate relationship. Tarryn Fisher did a very, very good job. I love romance, I've always had, but Tarryn made me realize that there's also a different kind of romance in life. The one's that's bittersweet, but true and pure. I recommend that you read this book. I may have had instances where I just want to throw my e-reader away from frustration, but it was worth it

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I am a real life villain, truly. I drink sick amounts of Starbucks. Most of the time my hair smells like coffee. I was born in South Africa, and lived there for most of my childhood. I moved to Seattle just for the rain. Rome is my favorite place in the world so far, Paris comes in at a close second. I read and write more than I sleep. When I was eleven, I wrote an entire novel about runaway orphans, using only purple ink. I am addicted to Florence and the Machine and will travel to see concerts. I love scary movies and giraffes. I spend way too much time on Facebook. Meet you there?…

CONNECT WITH HER:
Website | Twitter | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!