June 16, 2013

Book Review: Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger (5 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

MY OPINION:

I just finished this book a few hours ago, and my fingers are itching to make a review so let's get this started :D

She's been guarding him, all her life she's been in the shadows, hiding from Vane. Protecting him from far away. She knew that someday she would go to him face to face. She just didn't know it would be soon. Vane is just a normal person. But weirder stuff's been happening to him. And it involves the girl that he's always seen in his dreams.

I've seen this book a lot these days, whether in the internet, bookstore or goodreads. I always got to see this book. I was wondering what the buzz was all about, and I finally understood when I read the first chapter of the book (It got me hooked, as early as the first chapter). Let the Sky Fall talks about the story of Vane and Audra. Vane having survived a tornado that killed all of his family, has always wondered what happened that tragic day, and why he doesn't remember any of it. Meanwhile Audra has dedicated her life to try and absolve the guilt of that tragic day, and it still haunts her years after.

Reading Let the Sky Fall brings back the joys of reading fantasy novels. Honestly, I've read a few fantasy novels over the past few months. Some good, some meh, some...well lets just say not really memorable, but something about this book would make me remember those favorite moments I loved with a smile. The plot of the story is a mix of originality and mainstream. I've never had any encounters with slyphs and windwalkers but I have encountered people who have those kind of powers. The pacing I didn't really give much thought because I was enjoying it too much to care if its too long or short.

I like how I really got to know what happened first before it executed. It didn't leave me to dry and guess what really happened years ago. It made reading this much more easier since that I didn't have to bother guessing and wondering what happened. I loved having the chance to really understand who or what kind of a person Audra and Vane, it just made me really connect with them more.

Audra was the kind of girl that made me want to grab my pencil and sketch a portrait of. I love how much of a kick-butt heroine she was, I loved that she had this tough personality, but very vulnerable and compassionate nature. I just loved everything about her, and I... dang, I just love her :) Then there's Vane, goodness! Vane! I love, love, love Vane. He just made me appreciate those funny-cute-kind-of-guys. I loved his humor, I loved how candid he thinks. I loved that he was appreciative of his family, (which is really attractive thing btw). Aaaand, I love how true of a person he is. Just like Audra, he pulled me in with how true his character is. He had his fears (very little, a bit petty-in-a-cute-kind-of-way petty mind you.), his embarrassing moments, and insecurities.

Another thing that I really liked about this would be how humorous it was, I love it when a book is interesting and climatic, but I love it more when its humorous. Shannon did a good job of sneaking in a lot of funny moments (via Vane's POV) without making it look cheesy in any way. It didn't feel forced at all, and it had that carefree vibe to it. Then there's my facination with the whole Windwalker thing. Their powers were all facinating and specific. I loved how descriptive it was, it made me thouroughly imagine what their powers really look like in my eyes.

Then there's the plot twist. I love plot twist, and Let the Sky Fall, gave me such a good surprise that it made me blank with surprise. I didn't expect that at all, and it really gave a much more wow factor to it. Then the ending, DANG THE ENDING. Its not necessarily a big cliffhanger, but dang did it made me excited to read THE FREAKING SEQUEL!

Major thank you to Aya! You rock for letting me borrow this book! :D

WHY DID I RECOMMEND IT?

PLEASE JUST READ IT. SO YOU CAN SEE HOW AWESOME IT IS. OOH!! AND DON'T FORGET TO READ THE SEQUEL "LET THE STORMS BREAK"


* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Hi! I'm the author of the KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES series and the LET THE SKY FALL series, both published by Simon & Schuster. I also eat lots of cupcakes, have an embarrassing number of cats, and spend way too much time on the internetz. You can find links to all the places you can cyberstalk me (in the NON creepy way, please) ;) at shannonmessenger.com

CONNECT WITH HER:

Website | Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook | Email: SWMessenger@hotmail.com

6 comments:

  1. I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I also loved your review :)
    K @ My Favorite Escape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Jules! I have to say I didn't like this one as much as you did. I liked Shannon's MG series better.. I hope you'd check that one out :)

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go check those too. I think with her humor, I'd end up liking it too :D

      Delete
  3. I met this author at an event signing a few weeks ago and she was really funny so I'm not surprised the book had wonderful humor in it. This sounds like such an amazing and original story, Jules! Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeeh! I am so jealous now!! >.< I'd love to meet Shannon face to face :D

      Delete
  4. I loved this book! I also loved both Vane and the overall plot of the story. Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!