May 9, 2013

Mini-Review: Smokeless Fire by Samantha Young

Smokeless Fire by Samantha Young (5 Stars)





Blurb from Goodreads: FEAR THE HEAT...

When eighteen year old Ari Johnson is transported from her bedroom into the chilling realm of Mount Qaf - home to the terrifying and mercurial Jinn - she learns a truth that rocks her very world. Suddenly her anxiety over college and her broken friendship with Charlie seem like small change compared to the war she now finds herself stuck in the middle of. Her unease isn’t lessened any by the hot guardian, Jai, who won’t stop following her around everywhere - a Jinn whose loyalty Ari hates to question but must. She has no idea who she can trust.
When the truth burns through her life in its determination to turn it to ashes, Ari will have to battle with ancient deadly creatures, epic family drama and heart-wrenching romantic entanglements.

MY OPINION:

I never actually thought that I would end up liking the story. It was a very nice surprise :D

Ari's life is normal in her standards. She has typical problems that teenagers have. She has complications in her life. She's human. She's normal. But is she. She never thought that from her normal, complicated life could become more than just parties, and new clothes. Life is definitely different when you're a Jinn.

Okay. At first I was a bit confused with reading this. It seemed so normal and it didn't scream paranormal/fantasy fiction at first. It wasn't until a few chapters later that the actual agenda of the story was known. Smokeless Fire is definitely something that is perfect for fantasy/paranormal addicts. I enjoyed almost everything about it.

The plot is something that I haven't heard before. I don't know if its original but this would be my first time knowing about these Jinn people. Though there are many creatures in the book that people might remember, though sometimes I found it hard to actually like the pacing. Because sometimes it gets too long and sometimes too short. But I hardly noticed which is a good thing.

The characters were a slice of awesome. Jai is definitely swoon worthy. It helps that you can also read his POV in the book but that's not all about him. He reminded me of Aiden of Covenant Series, but in a much more stricter way. Charlie reminded me of Mason from VA series. Truthfully, most characters reminded me of both Covenant and Vampire Academy Series. But I don't see that as a bad thing since I am in love with those series.

But technicalities aside. I loved Smokeless Fire because it was spot on a perfect book for those who like fantasy novels. It made me see another world, and for me, I love a good adventure and this book gave me that. There were so many colorful (I said colorful because I can't find the most proper defnition) characters ever. The culture of the Jinn and how the heiarchy of it works was fascinating.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Though it is a short review. I must tell for a fact that this book has been indeed a great read. I love how it sparkled my imagination, how creative the writing was, and how "colorful" the characters are. I cannot wait to read the sequel.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Samantha Young is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author from Stirlingshire, Scotland. She's been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Author and Best Romance for her international bestseller ON DUBLIN STREET.

CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!