May 6, 2013

Book Review: Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Wildefire by Karsten Knight (2 Stars)

Blurb from GoodreadsEvery flame begins with a spark.
Blackwood Academy was supposed to be a fresh start for Ashline Wilde. A secluded boarding school deep in the heart of California’s redwood forests, three thousand miles from her old life—it sounded like the new beginning she needed after an act of unspeakable violence left a girl in her hometown dead. But Blackwood is far from the peaceful haven Ashline was searching for. Because terrifying, supernatural beasts roam the forests around campus. Because the murderer from Ashline’s hometown—her own sister—has followed her across the country. Because a group of reincarnated gods and goddesses has been mysteriously summoned to Blackwood...and Ashline’s one of them.




MY OPINION:

*Huff* I finally finished this one. And if not for the ending, I might've given this a one star rating :(

Let me see... reading Wildefire was kinda hard to do. Keywords to describe while reading this would be agonizing, boring and most of all, irritating.

I am a big fan of mythology, I love everything there is to know about it, any kind, Norse, Greek any other mythology. I am facinated with it. But with Wildefire their gods and goddesses are just meh. The plot of the book isn't really complicated, it kinda reminded me of the Shadow Falls series, but it was everything but that. Although was plot was like it, how the story progressed has no goal. Its like walking in a dark tunnel where you can't see the end. I also had a hard time reading the book, the first half of the books were just nonsense, just a bunch of teenagers getting something at the bar, those fights with your boyfriend, and other mundane stuff. I agonized reading this part, because it took so long for the author to confirm what's already known to me. :(

But that's not all that I don't like here. In Wildefire there are many characters associated with the protagonist that died, and they didn't just died, they were murdered. It was depressing really, because there was already a murder at the start of the story, then, one by one the other characters started dying. That's just sad, and annoying.

One last thing I hated reading this book was how undecisive the plot of the story was. Its like using a zigzag road, there are so many twist and turns that I just had a hard time keeping up with everything. It was so confusing.

Then the characters, well, they were a bit annoying but overall they were just meh, though sometimes they give off the biggest surprises, (SPOILER ALERT, PROCEED WITH CAUTION)

Ashline was actually a goddess of volcanoes and magma, (duh, Wildefire? >.<), Raja got pregnant by the end of the book, Rolfe died doing what he had to do, Eve got sucked by those things, Lucy went mad and aged. Literally. Then biggest surprise of all is that little lover boy Colt is actually a god with an agenda.

Wildefire was never what I expected, and though I 9o% dislike it, I still give that 10% a consideration since I plan to read the sequel. Though Wildefire annoyed me a lot, it also surprised me with its twist and turns. But that's the only thing I'll give credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!