June 1, 2013

Book Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer (4 Stars)






Blurb from Goodreads: Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
The storm is coming.

MY OPINION:

On a night where all she wanted was to help, she found herself being tied to danger. That one night, helped unfold secrets she never thought was possible, secrets that showed more fantasy than reality.

Reading Storm is an enjoyment mostly because it has the romance aspect that I crave in novels. Being a hopeless romantic, I found myself swooned and having 'awww' moments reading this. I was torn between two boys, who both have great qualities, both protective, both caring, both equally dangerous. That's what probably what made me love this book. Unlike other books where I can easily choose which team I am, I am reluctant to choose who I like most. The plot was pretty simple, the tortured-loser-kind of girl, gets to have an encounter with a known bad boy of the school. A bad boy who's siblings are known and wanted by all girls in campus. I can't say that's original, I've been here, saw that. But the pacing made up for the plot. If the book weren't exciting or intriguing, I would've been bored instantly. I didn't even wait for one chapter for something exciting. Then it being a fantasy novel, which was another reason why I really liked it. The whole working with the "elements" was something that would always facinate me.

But even though I enjoyed it, it wasn't all perfect.

As I continued reading, I instantly had hunches and quick guesses, about who's bad, who's with whom and what really happened. Which in the end proves my guesses were right. Storm was really easy to predict. Sure it was exciting and interesting, but it wasn't really surprising. Sadly, the secrets were the same, it was an obvious thing to know (at least for me). There were blatant signs were you could see bits and bits of info, then another scenes clicks with the said signs, so I could easily see what's coming.

The characters had an even balance with me, especially the Merrick brothers :D. Michael was a douchebag at first, he was a bit impolite, and cold towards Becca. I had to admit that I was really confused why he was like that (he didn't seem like a jerk to me, just cold) it wasn't until after reading more of the next chapter did I understand why he was like that. The twins, Nick and Gabriel were sooooooo hot, gorgeous, soooo sexy, especially Gabriel so cute :3, I loved how they were polar opposites, despite being twins. Nick was more quiet, calm, but definitely charming. While Gabriel was brute, a bad-guy type, and an absolute flirt. Then there's Chris, he's more calm with flirting unlike the twins, he's a hit with the girls, but not much of a flirt, I like him a lot because he's always so sweet when it comes to Becca, that alone made me adore him. But of course if you'd make me choose between all of them I'll obviously choose Gabriel <3

But despite having that wee little thing I don't like, I still liked reading Storm. It was something I could easily like because it had a romance aspect to it, add to the fact that its a fantasy novel made it much more awesome. Overall, Storm was a great read.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Sorry for sounding like a overly romantic school girl >.<, but Storm was a kind of book that hopeless romantics would love. I mean c'mon, elemental powers, plus secrets, plus dangerous encounters, plus very hot guys? ;)

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Brigid Kemmerer finds the time to write somewhere between caring for her family and working at her day job, but sometimes she ends up mothering her coworkers and managing her family. Storm: The Elemental Series is her first novel. 

CONNECT WITH HER:

4 comments:

  1. I'm also a hopeless romantic...shhh, don't tell anyone! But I enjoy the build-up to a relationship. This looks pretty good, if predictable, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tilly! I enjoyed it a lot, since the boys were all so sweet :3

      Delete
  2. If you loved Storm, you'll love Spark and Spirit even better. This book is weak compared to the two, and I'm excited for you to read them! :) I'm glad you liked Becca, too... she made me want to pull my hair out! >_<

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaarg! I kinda have the feeling it would be like that, I've been reading some reviews for Spark. I sooo cannot wait to get my hand on it :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!