May 23, 2013

Book Review: Sempre by J.M Darhower

Sempre (Forever) by J.M Darhower (4 Stars)


Something different, something action. Mafia!!

Blurb from Goodreads: Haven Antonelli and Carmine DeMarco had vastly different childhoods. Haven, a second-generation slave, grew up isolated in the middle of the desert, her days full of hard work and terrifying abuse. Carmine, born into a wealthy Mafia family, lived a life of privilege, never having to answer for anything he did. Both now seventeen, a twist of fate causes their worlds to collide, making them question everything they ever believed. Entangled in a web of secrets and lies, they learn that while different on the surface, they have more in common than anyone would think.
MY OPINION:

I've read other stories concerning Mafia like some works of John Grisham and Sidney Sheldon. Though those books are purely Adult fiction, something that I don't read everyday, though it was entertaining, I think Sempre is a perfect blend of YA and Adult Suspense Fiction.

Haven never experienced anything of the outside world. All she knew was that she had a master, and she had to follow what he says no matter what. But she never thought that her life would change, but is it for the better? She's in a place she doesn't know, with the man who took her who claims that he is her new master, yet says that that was her new home. She doesn't know what's happening, life is changing drastically, but can she survive this new world? This world where she doesn't have any idea what would happen?

Sempre as I said before is something different, I knew firsthand that it has Mafia in its topic, but I didn't know that it would be written this way. It felt like I was reading something like Adult Fiction, but at the same time, it held a lot of teen fiction components. I honestly have no problems with the plot, I don't really read much books like these, but I can't say that it was a bad one. I was just riding it through, it was okay for me most of the time, and then it would give me completely surprising moments and twist, so I was really just okay with it. The pacing however is a meh opinion for me, i'm neutral with it because it was such a long read, but at the same time it was a fascinating one.

"If you expect nothing, you aren't disappointed when you get nothing."

I was really disturbed with how it started, I knew that Haven was a slave, and that she was thought to never really think she's equal to any master, but her behavior was both disturbing and saddening, she would cower and flinch when someone is near her. She's fragile, vulnerable and pure, I really got to know her, and I was pleasantly surprised with how she really is. She's naturally adaptive and intelligent which made me love her more, then how she viewed the world despite what she lived through left me in awe of her.

In the other hand, Carmine is a 50/50 opinion for me. I love him for a lot of things, but I also hate him most of the time. At the start of the book, he was the most douchiest guy at first, douchier for my taste in my opinion. But then when he got to know her, he changed, though not completely, he changed a bit for the better. Carmine is probably the most realistic kind of guy ever written, I kinda admired how Darhower wrote him because he was still him. Despite having changed for Haven, he was still Carmine. He didn't change drastically. What I loved about him would be how I could really see how he cared for Haven. Then add the other thing that he's a bit on the pervy side, and that he has the most mischievous rumor. But he also has his bad side, he's impulsive, violent and scarily temperamental. I hated how he would have this bipolar action where he's sweet and caring one time, then he's a douche the next. So I'm pretty much neutral here.

But what really made me love Sempre would be how it tells a different story. Mafia, something not most people would be able to see. Something that people aren't really fond or aware off. I loved how Sempre was so intriguing, so full of mysteries, how gory and realistic and maybe even cruel it was. It made me see a whole different story about loyalty, camaraderie, mystery, suspense and secrets.

I was intrigued with how the organization worked in the story, how their mindsets were formed, how they handled the situation. It got me intriued, and surprised with all the technicalities surrounding the story. Sure the other parts of the story really amused me and it was an entetaining thing, but this was what drawn me to actually finish the book. The actual story.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

 I don't really read a lot of books like these, but one thing I could tell about Sempre is that its an engaging read. The tidbits and secrets that were shared would make you want to know more. Its a great mix of YA and Adult Suspense-Action-Mystery Fiction.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

JM Darhower is the author of the novel Sempre (Forever) and the upcoming sequel,still untitled. Someday, if lucky, the second book will have a name. She lives in a tiny town in the Carolinas with her family, where she churns out more words than will eversee the light of day. She has a deep passion for politics and human trafficking, and when she isn’t writing she’s usually ranting about those things. Chronic crimper with a vulgar mouth, she admits to having a Twitter addiction. You can find her there.

CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!