May 29, 2013

Book Review: Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz (4 Stars)



This was definitely something deep.





Blurb from GoodreadsIn the wake of the post-9/11 sniper shootings, fragile love finds a stronghold in this intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer.It's a year after 9/11. Sniper shootings throughout the D.C. area have everyone on edge and trying to make sense of these random acts of violence. Meanwhile, Craig and Lio are just trying to make sense of their lives.
Craig’s crushing on quiet, distant Lio, and preoccupied with what it meant when Lio kissed him...and if he’ll do it again...and if kissing Lio will help him finally get over his ex-boyfriend, Cody.
Lio feels most alive when he's with Craig. He forgets about his broken family, his dead brother, and the messed up world. But being with Craig means being vulnerable...and Lio will have to decide whether love is worth the risk.

This book is quite sensitive to write a review about, but I really want to explain why I think this book was awesome so, without further ado. This is my opinion.



MY OPINION:

Gone, Gone, Gone is a very different kind of book because it dwells more in realistic problems, in a more deeper sense. I've read books that deals with realistic situations, and I all found them very interesting and inspirational, this is not an exeption. The book talks about Craig and Lio. Two boys that are friends, but polar opposites. The only thing common in them are that they are gay, and that they experience they're own share of trauma. Whereis, Craig clings to his animals, and talks without filter. Lio is quiet, and keeps to himself.

This is a really different read for me because I never read a book that talks about two boys like Craig and Lio. When I started this, I was surprised that it would talk about heavy problems like 9/11, leukemia, heartbreak, divorce, and other things. Plus it has touchy subject. Though I was a bit uncomfortable with it, I still decided to read it, because I felt like there's something to like in it.

As I progressed through the story, I slowly got to know what kind of persons Craig and Lio were. Craig, other than his animals and his word diarrhea. Really irritated me at first. I just didn't get why he was so clingy on someone like Cody(FYI: The EX-Boyfriend), to the point that he looked very desperate and clingy.

I want to email him, but if I do I'll stay up until he answers, I'll stay up,worrying, I'll stay up freaking out that he's hurt and wonder why he isn't screaming at me with capital letters from my inbox.

The heck? Why would you still want to be with someone who sends things like that?! I just don't like it. At all. I don't think Craig deserved to receive such hateful words from someone who he claims that he loves. Its just unfair and sad. But yet, he kept thinking about this Cody guy, he kept crying at night because of him. It was so frustrating sometime I want to enter the book and shake some sense into him. Then there's Lio. The situation with Lio was quite different and also a bit sad. He's more closed off than most people and he has the most colorful hair (I mean that in the most literal sense).

Reading this was a blur actually, its like I'm reading it in slow motion. Every detail was given, and I just take and take in everything that was happening. I had to admit that I was overwhelmed with how deep the story was. That was probably what sets this apart from other inspirational stories. It deals with two boys, (I say boys because they're only 15 and 16) that are very much affected by the 9/11, shootings and safety. They were broad minded, unlike most boys that just dwell on normal topics in life, they think about such mature things. Though I didn't understand why it was like this at first, after finishing the book. I've finally had a little grasp what the real message Gone, Gone, Gone says.

Gone, Gone, Gone is a becoming of age kind of book (if the meaning is what I think it is), I saw how much topics like shootings, terrorism, and the 9/11 could affect even the youth. I saw how it could change them, with how they are, how they live, and how they think and act their lives. I saw how Craig change from someone who's paranoid and confused. To someone who's firm. Someone who know what he wants, someone braver and stronger. Though I do admit that Craig irritated me most of the time, it was good to see him change for the better. Lio, who at first was closed off, almost fearless, and independent, learned how to depend of someone, he tried to talk, and actually connected with Craig. His change was the most memorable for me, because he holds this tortured feelings inside, that when he decided to let it all out. It became much more significant.

The relationship between Lio and Craig is something new to me. I had to admit that I am a bit uncomfortable reading about them being intimate, not because I think its disgusting or gross. But because it was something new to me that will take some time for me to absorb.(P.S: I mean no offense to anyone) But technicalities and my feelings aside. I admire how they really became a couple. Lio is very patient with Craig, who was still in love with his ex, Cody. I love that  they became each others pillar of support, they were there for each other, and their relationship was based more than just attraction, it grew out of friendship, acceptance and trust.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Its something that can make you see in a different perspective. It was refreshing, new, and something that could make you think and see a different opinion

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. She was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults. She is a student at The University of Maryland. 

CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!