May 9, 2013

Book Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Deity (Covenant #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (5 Stars)

BEST. SERIES. EVER.

Blurb from Goodreads: "History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.
If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.
But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.
Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

MY OPINION:
I was addicted before, and this is just on a whole 'nother level. I've once again found my all-nighter series.

Things are getting more serious for Alex. After the attack at Catskills, she now truly understands the danger of the situation. With her awakening, mere weeks ahead. She knows its near, but it doesn't help that Seth always trains with her, thus gaining her new runes. Its a lot to swallow, with the weight of being the second Apollyon, and the mysteries concerning her life. Alex must make the biggest decision of her life, Fate or Love.

First of all, I would like to have the chance to broadcast what is already obvious to those who read JLA's works

by Jules Bookshelf
Aaaaah! I made myself promise that I wouldn't read this yet, because there are so many books left in my TBR list. But the waiting was PURE TORTURE! So I decided, "Oh, heck. I'm gonna stop this torture already!" and I do not regret my decision. This series is awesome!

Deity would be the third book of the Covenant Series, though I haven't really made a proper review for Pure, I can proudly tell you that was an awesome read. But to tell the truth. Deity is way more awesome. Deity is the continuation where Seth and Alex escaped from Catskills and is currently hiding since everything has been in complete chaos. Upon her escape, she discovered all the secrets that involves her, her family, and about her being an Apollyon.

This book was amazing in all accounts because of how suspenseful JLA wrote it. Even though at times it felt like it was a bit long to read, I still enjoyed every word said. As usual the writing made me smile that could beat Cheshire Cat's grin. JLA's writing was so perfectly written that even if the situations in the book were serious, JLA could sneak a funny moment between them. And reading this, made me high with adrenaline, the suspense just kept going up, and it didn't go down at all. 

As for the characters, I have now made a pretty final decision of what my opinion is about them. Seth became much more territorial here, and I once found it cute and adorable of him, but now it was just plain creepy. :( He constantly says things and does things that can be considered insane and downright wrong. I can confidently say that Seth has definitely lost any charm that made me like him.

Meanwhile, Aiden. I my goodness Aiden!!! >.<


He is all kinds of prince charming here. He did everything possible to make me love him. His understanding, love, kindness, familiarity with Alex makes me squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal. I loved him more because of how devoted he was to Alex, that he can risk his own life, for her. I know it sounds cheezy and a bit mary-sue ish. But with Aiden, nothing seemed forced or robotic. With him, its true and raw emotions, that alone made me a sure Team Aiden member.

Alex was somewhat better here than in the Second and First book. Maybe because of her maturity and much more witty comebacks. Her kindness comes second to her sassy personality. I admire how she was willing to forgive someone even if they did something very evil towards her. Her compassion and honor was admirable and that alone made me love her more than just a heroine.

But the surprises and twists in the story are what made Deity such an amazing read. All of those things will sure keep you in your toes. Especially pertaining the characters, I was so surprised about Leon and Deacon, though I won't say because that would be a spoiler. And what's even more awesome about Deity is how it kept calling to me to continue reading, I was practically compelled with the story, that I even daydream about it XD. 

And the other thing JLA's great in are cliffhangers. I agonized over what happened in the ending! I don't know if JLA just likes suspense for her readers, or if she's just mean like that (in a good way :D). And despite that agonizing ending, I still loved it. I still crave it. I'm reading Apollyon now, and I'm not sure I can read any other books for while. :D

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

If you read Opal from the Lux Series, you'll definitely understand why this is as awesome as that one. :D Just read it.
* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Lynn.

CONNECT WITH HER:

FacebookTwitter | Website | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!