May 15, 2013

Book Review: Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout (4 Stars)







Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.
Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.
The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.
Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

MY OPINION:

Well, this is a surprise even for me.

*sigh* So let me explain this very late review for Apollyon. When I started reading it, I never bothered making notes since, I thought that it would be an easy review to write. But then, I finished it, I loved it, but the problem was, Why did I love it? So I decided that I needed to reread it, just to clarify what I really liked about Apollyon. And I found it hard to find something to particular to like.

As a whole Apollyon was a good book, but I can't say that it was greater than Deity whereis, Deity was exciting and heart-quenching, Apollyon is those things too, but in a more lesser level. There were times that the humor in the book felt forced, its not that obvious or important, but its still something anyone could take notice. In addition to this, I noticed that things got gloomy, there were just so much sad, depressing things happening, and it was a bit of a downer. But that doesn't mean that I regreted reading it, because Apollyon definitely made me more excited to read Sentinel.

The other characters grew more mature and real here. Deacon became more strong in a mental sense. Marcus, who at first was cold, and "unconnected" became more warm and compassionate. Almost all of them became better version of themselves.

My status with Aiden right now is definitely complicated. I love how passionate he is about his love for Alex, I love how understanding, and natural he is when it comes to Alex. He displayed a lot of good guy point here, being all out made me like him more. It was also amusing watching him in this state, calmer and warmer. But, I hated him one moment in the book. He became mopey and cold. The reason why he was like that was understandable, but I was still annoyed by his attitude. But despite my love-hate relationship with Aiden, I still swoon over everything he does for Alex.

When it comes, to Alex, its definitely is mixed feelings. At the first part of Apollyon, I was really creeped out about Alex's state, her being connected to Seth, really changed her. Drastically. It was weird reading it and seeing a completely different Alex, thank goodness that changed a few pages next, because I don't think I'll enjoy Apollyon if Alex kept up that kind of state. There was a point where I got irritated at her, because of a few minor things. Then there were a lot of moments where I was in awe of her. Reading Apollyon, I saw just how Alex really changed, she was still the same old Alex, but there are definitely changes in her.

But the reason why I loved Apollyon were pretty simple. It answered a lot of questions about the book. I admired how JLA showed just how much more Alex was. There was a clear cut ending that I am seeing, and most especially, JLA's favoritism with making such agonizing cliffhangers, just made me more antsy to read Sentinel.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?
Overall, Apollyon was a good book. I can't say that it was a better book than Deity but this really made me excited to read Sentinel.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Lynn.

CONNECT WITH HER:

FacebookTwitter | Website | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!