April 29, 2013

Book Review: Vain by Fisher Amelie

Vain by Fisher Amelie (5 Stars)

I knew there was something different about this, and Amelie didn't disappoint :D


Blurb from Goodreads: If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.
Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.
I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

 MY OPINION:


She's beautiful, and she knows it. Sophie Price, an elite amongst the elite knows that she's the leader of the pack. Never once had she been under anyone... but why does she feel incomplete. After disaster falls in a common party, Sophie has been banished to Uganda, Africa for six months. Sophie's enraged, flying to Uganda, she knows that it will be a prison for her, but she never thought that it would be a place that she could call home.

This was surprisingly chick-lit type of a novel. I didn't expect this at all. I don't have a general idea what would happen in the story. But I was curious as to why the blurp is written as it is. The plot of the book isn't that spectacular, but that doesn't mean that its bad. Even though the plot was something you can expect from a chick-lit novel, I still enjoyed it. The pacing was also an okay for me.

As for the characters, almost all of them became memorable to me. They were well written and are great accompaniments for the main characters. Karina and Mandisa were just dearies. Simon was one of those flirty big bros, and Pembrook was like those father figures.

Sophie I found very intriguing. At the start of the book I was really confused as to why Amelie wrote her like this. Honestly, Sophie is just one of those “bitchy” and mean girls that just step on everybody without a second glance. I was baffled why Amelie would write her main character with such a bad attitude. But then as the story progressed, I saw the reason for why she wrote her like this. In truth, Sophie’s situation was a very sad one. Despite having everything she could have, she couldn’t have everything she wanted.

" I felt too exposed and that made me exceedingly nervous, but I made myself look that morning. I memorized that girl. That girl was the real me. Frightened. Worthless. A terrible friend. Terrible daughter. Well educated but so limited in ideas worth having. Beautiful yet repulsive… " --Sophie

That was just sad. :(

Dingane a.k.a Ian Aberdeen definitely is someone different. He’s the kind of guy, that’s beyond his good looks, and strength. He’s one of those guys who has a big heart, but at the same time, a vulnerable one too. Ian was definitely swoon worthy. He’s not like most guys that are a tad bit expressive when in comes to his feelings. He’s subtle, but at the same time, intense and sweet. Plus, with the was he cares for those kids, who wouldn’t be attracted to him?

I approve of how Ian and Sophie formed their relationship. At first, Ian even hated resented Sophie despite Sophie’s stunning appearance. That definitely made their relationship interesting. There was no insta-love at all. They slowly became friends, even though Sophie had an attraction to Ian, nothing came rushed. This made me appreciate them both a lot more.

Technicalities and characters aside, what made me love this book more than I expected would be how it squeezed my heart a few times reading it. I knew that some stuff that are happening here in the book actually happens in Africa. But reading it, in detail. Really, who wouldn’t be moved or horrified with what’s happening? It was something that terrified and touched my heart at the same time.

The things that happened was horrific and unbelievable. Amelie did a great job of giving details to those moments without being over exaggerated or unrealistic. And reading this novel, is somewhat of an inspiration. Because even though the tragedy that happens in the book are very saddening, you can see that there was hope. And that, people helped and worked together.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Its one of those novels that made my heart warm all over and make it beat faster. I had a great time reading it because the story was well made. Nothing too exaggerated or irritating, and Vain definitely is something inspirational.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Fisher Amelie resides in the South with her kick ace husband slash soul mate. She earned her first 'mama' patch in 2009. She also lives with her Weim, 'Jonah', and her Beta, 'Whale'. All these living creatures keep the belly of her life full, sometimes to the point of gluttony, but she doesn't mind all that much because life isn't worth living if it isn't entertaining, right?

Fisher grew up writing. She secretly hid notebooks and notebooks of dribble in a large Tupperware storage container in her closet as a kid. She didn't put two and two together until after college where it suddenly dawned on her, "Hey, I like writing". She's a bit dense. "No, I'm not." "Yes, you are. Put down that Oreo, your butt can't take any more." "You're rude." "Yeah, yeah." Anyway, she likes to write and has finally beaten her self-esteem into submission enough to allow herself to be scrutinized under the 'other readers' microscope. "No! No! Not a cover slip! Last time it gave me a ra...." (mumbling)

CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!