April 26, 2013

Book Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout (5 Stars)

Jennifer has got to have superpowers for making such awesome heroes and heroines :D

Blurb from Goodreads: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

MY OPINION:

Once again, Jennifer L. Armentrout did not disappoint me with this kick-butt super-freaking-tastic Fantasy Novel!

Alex is caught, after years of hiding, she getting back to the Covenant. But life's just keeps getting more complicated for her. She wants to be a Sentinel, she doesn't want to be a servant forever and being a Sentinel can only feed her need... to what happened to her mom. But other than the usual drama, her stepfather, came in and suddenly seemed to meddling to her. Add the fact that her mother is actually alive, then there's the boy problems. And a secret that she never thought could happen to her.

By starting up this review, I would like everybody to know this. Before I started reading this, I heard that this was actually based from the Vampire Academy (if that's a fact or rumor, I have not confirmed yet.) but when I heard about that, I was instantly excited to read this since I loved the VA series so much. But even though I see similarities to it. Half-Blood is something different that I definitely expected from JLA.

The plot of the book was somewhat similar with VA, but instead their like descendants from the god of Greek Mythology. There's Pures and the Half-Bloods, and their are also these rules and other technicalities in it. I admit that originality wise, I say that it isn't at all original, but for me, the not so original plot was unnoticed because of the writing style. JLA has this original writing style that you can easily like. Its her own unique pattern and I easily got hooked because of it. Pacing was just perfect for me, nothing was overdone, and everything was in great timing.

As for the characters, they made the book much more favorable to read because of their diverse personalities. First of would be Mason, I'm embarrassed to say this but at first I thought he was gay or something >.<, I don't know why, but when I'm reading scenes wherein he's with Alex. I don't feel like he wants to be with her. Alex is pretty and very cool in half-blood standards, but I love their relationship more of a brotherly-sisterly love and much more comforting.

Seth is... creepy. I mean like hot-stalker but still creepy kind of stalker. I'm kinda on a 50-50 chances with Seth. At times I find him, weird, creepy and a bit bipolar-ish. But then at times, I found him oddly attractive and humorous. His attitude towards Alex was kinda expected because of the thing that they have. But at the same time. At first I thought that he didn't like her in anyway, its not until the end of the book did I see signs of his attraction to her. (MADE ME ANTICIPATE THE SECOND BOOK MORE BECAUSE OF THIS)

Aiden, goodness how can I even describe him. Maybe he's a bit god-ish? Well, I really liked Aiden for a lot of things, one would be how he seemed to treat Alex with extra amount of care, she's special to him, and I love that about him. He has this hidden humor that I found very (sexy, funny, witty) attractive about him. One of my fave moments would be this:

     "Okay, I'm ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things." (Alex)
   "Did you just quote Harry Potter?" (Aiden)
   I grinned, "Maybe I did."

P.S: Love the Harry Potter segway. :D.

Then there's Alex. I really adore Alex, simply because she has that natural sass that I find very cute and different in a girl heroine. I love how witty she way, how she can think of all possible ways to say the last word. She's definitely a fighter. I don't have any particular things that I don't like about her. Because for me, all of the good things about her (and their are a lot of good things about her) bury all of the bad stuff. Her relationship with Aiden is something that I liked. For me, they strike me more as "buddies" and bestfriends because of how they have those easy banters, but at the same time, I still found a lot of sweet moments between them.

But between the Aiden and Seth, I loved Aiden a lot. I've encountered other guys like him. But there's something about Aiden that's much more emotional, I don't see him a stoic kind of guy. Honestly, he seemed strict but he's not that mysterious, in fact, he's one of the most amusing guys I ever found. Though I love Aiden A LOT. I can't help but feel like something's up with Seth, I don't really like him that much here. But I'm getting a feeling that I MIGHT like this guy after this.

I'm avoiding all of the details of what really happened near the end, but one thing's for sure. Something is up with Aiden, Alex and Seth. I don't know what, or if it even in an EPIC TWIST. Therefore I am very excited  to read the next one. :D

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Very adorable love story, awesome set of characters, a heroine that's so admirable, two guys that will sure to make you torn. And awesomeness at its fineness. Jennifer, I bow to your awesome superpower writing.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


USA TODAY Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, working out, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russel Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She also writes adult romance under the name J. Lynn.

CONNECT WITH HER:

FacebookTwitter | Website | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!