April 24, 2013

Book Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Frostbite by Richelle Mead (5 Stars)

I'm gettin the fever of Vampire Academy <3

Blurb from Goodreads: Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...
It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...

MY OPINION:

I'm starting to really understand why people are so hooked into this book, its practically awesome.

Rose's life is getting much more harder, not only is she in love with her instructor and mentor Dimitri, there's also talk that Tasha like likes Dimitri. Then, with all these gory things that happening concerning the Strigoi, she can't help but get queasy. Add the unfortunate moment of being near with her not really motherly mother. Then there's Dimitri... and Adrian... and Mason...

I've read this a few days ago, but I am happy to say that I still clearly remember why I loved it. In my opinion, Frostbite is way better than Vampire Academy, don't get me wrong, I loved the first book, but this book was like a big revelation of how good this series might be. Frostbite has a very unexpected but average plot (that's kinda confusing, huh?). For clarification, I found myself surprised by the recent turn of events, but at the same time, I think its one of the few things that might happen in the story. The pacing is just okay for me, though sometimes I get bored with Rose's inner monologue, but meh, that's just one little thing I don't like.

But what made Frostbite better than the first book would be how the characters really shined here. I can clearly see what their use and reasons why they were there. Unlike in Vampire Academy, I felt like the only important characters were Dimitri, Rose, Lissa and Christian. Sure Mia and those douchebags(can't remember their names anymore) kinda rang a bell then, but not as much in Frostbite. There was reason to every action and words said in Frostbite. That made me really get into it, and stay in tune with everything that was happening.

In this book, I found Dimitri much more relatable. He doesn't seem douchey or stoic as before. He's more loose and friendly here. I also see this intense emotion he felt for Rose, and that made me really swoon for him. He's still all professional-ish, but I appreciated that I saw something real in him. Lissa kinda lied low here, she's not really that much featured, instead I saw more of Christian here. Not much to actually make me love him or like him, but still enough, that I understand what he capable of, and what would be his use in the series. Then I finally saw who Adrian Ivashkov. I had to admit that right now I really really REALLY like him, but I'm not saying that he's be the one I want to be with Rose, I kinda feel like something will happen that's going to be epic.

Rose I found very admiring. Sure I was still swooning over Adrian, but I kinda like Rose more now. She changed drastically, before she seemed so reckless and irresponsible, there was a point that I was so irritated at her for being a "kid" but in Frostbite she became more mature and smart. I loved her a lot because she became more of a leader, more sensitive towards other people's feelings and being selfless by letting her friend leave her with a two strong Strigoi. Needless to say, she became more kick-ass and awesome here.

Furthermore, I think what really made me like this book would be how Richelle Mead wrote the story. I was hardly bothered that the love story isn't progressing faster (and that saying a lot, for a hopeless romantic like me). Richelle Mead made the book progress through the important stuff, without it being boring or overdone. Plus the very different kind of characters, that gave a great variety for the series.

Though, I am quite surprised with what happened behind those two Strigoi and Rose. I don't wanna spoil those who haven't read this yet, but in my opinion, I think there will be a very EPIC plot twist in the next book. I'm gonna be expecting something from Rose Hathaway.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Its definitely perfect for those who love action, magic and fantasy. It was not like most novels about Vampires. It has its own charm and uniqueness. I smiled, laughed and gasped a few times. Plus, it made a great change for the stereotypical vampire novels. Definitely an awesome read :D

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time: Georgina Kincaid, Dark Swan, and Vampire Academy.

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

CONNECT WITH HER:

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I love this series and it's good to see people still reading and discovering this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I'm glad that I found it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Gah I love this series! Great review, glad to see you enjoyed it :)

    New Follower Via GFC

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!