April 3, 2013

Book Review: Defiance by C.J Redwine

Defiance by C.J Redwine (4.5 Stars)


Hooray to kick-ass heroines!!! HAZZZAH!

Blurb from Goodreads: Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.
At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

 MY OPINION:

COVER: I just had to gush. The cover of Defiance is sooooo beautiful. I loved how everything was so put together. If I had Rachel in my head, the girl in the cover was a perfect description.

It has been a while before I started reading this book. But before I even started, I knew already how many people, (my friends from Goodreads) comments on how beautiful this book was. But I needed to actually feel the experience of how awesome it was, and C.J Redwine did not disappoint. Defiance was amazing.

I will not bother, telling my version of the blurp since that all of it is already there above. So let's cut to the chase and talk about this dystopian novel. I always loved books that talks about places that aren't really real, it give a more other dimensional feel to it. I loved how C.J managed to create the whole setting of the book. I love how it kinda has those "levels" of citizenship. The story was kinda like in between the 19' hundreds and early 1950's, it made the book a little more interesting. The plot isn't all original, reading the book kinda reminds me of other books I've read(Which are dystopian novels too) but something about Defiance cuts these dystopian novels to the back of my list right now.

I really really love Rachel. She's the kind of character you would cheer on because of how independent and strong she is. I know, I do adore those sweet and a bit vulnerable heroines, but you had to admit that its awesome if the heroines such a kick-ass. I admired Rachel a lot for her courage. A bit rash, yes, but still courageous.

Other than my obvious adoration over this girl, I am also overwhelmed by how deep she is. I mean, I understand anger, pain and all that stuff, but Rachel really feels it. I don't know why but I really connected to her while I was reading. Then near the end, I kinda felt like she's almost perfect :D. I don't know why but I just like Rachel so much.

Then there's Logan. I had to admit that he's a change of pace for once. Instead of being entirely too focused on strength and combat like most heroes do, he's more of a tech guy and strategist in the story. (IN MY LANGUAGE, THIS ONLY MEANS HE'S HOT, HE'S SMART, HE'S AWESOME). I really loved him because he's the type of guy who can't hold a grudge, he's smart even in times of stress and in short, I just really love him because he has cute inner monologues.

If you made me choose who I love more between the two of them, my answer would be Rachel. Because she really made the book much more deeper, much more raw and emotional. Call me a lover of drama but I love it. I love how I felt all of those emotions that she felt.

Other than these two, I also come to adore some other character. Though I he didn't became that featured anymore, I still loved him because he was a good father to both Rachel and Logan. His love for the both of them can be compared to a love of a real father to his children. Then there were the siblings Quinn and Willow. I don't if they will be featured in the next book, but something tells me that there's something to expect about them, especially Quinn ^^.

Besides the character and the not-so-different-but-different plot. What really made me love this book so much is that how much fun it was to read. I loved how creative the writing style was, it made me laugh a lot and I really love an author who could throw in funny lines in between the serious stuff. I loved how the love story was also formed, it was inevitable as I thought, but I still like the momentum C.J gave when they finally confessed about their feelings.

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

Overall, it was a lot of fun. It was full of action, thrill, mystery, surprises and it even had a good romance. Even though I'm not really a big fan of action filled books, I know its good when I see it. Defiance is perfect for those who love a good adventure, thrill and out of this world imagination.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

(She has to be one of the most prettiest authors I've seen XD) C.J. Redwine loves stilettos, lemon bars, any movie starring Johnny Depp, and books. C.J. holds a degree in English Literature from Pepperdine University and now lives in Nashville, Tennessee with her husband, four kids, two spastic cats, and one long-suffering dog.

CONNECT WITH HER:

2 comments:

  1. What a great review! Defiance was one of my favorites of 2012. At the beginning of the novel I totally did not know it was a dystopian, I honestly thought it was historical fiction. I guess that's what I get for not reading the synopsis first :) I am really looking forward to part 2 this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Katie! I'm looking forward to it too! I can't wait to know what will happen next :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!