April 30, 2013

Book Review: Crush by Lacey Weatherford

Crush by Lacey Weatherford (2.5 Stars)



Blurb from Goodreads: Cami Wimberley has a plan, and that plan includes no room for boys—especially the big time party animal, Hunter Wilder, no matter how handsome and charismatic he is. She’s beautiful, a senior, extremely talented, gets good grades, and is working her way toward her dream college to be a musical theater major. Everything is perfect.
Hunter Wilder does not want a girlfriend—that would complicate his life way too much right now. He especially doesn’t want this girl, Miss-Goody-Two-Shoes, so how come he can’t keep his eyes off her? He tries to keep her at arms length, but fate seems to keep pushing them together. Before long, it’s obvious to everyone they’re crushing on each other.
As sparks begin to fly, Hunter finds himself sinking deeper and deeper into hot water. Soon he’s scrambling to keep Cami from discovering his dark secret—one that can destroy their entire relationship.

MY OPINION:

Honestly, I wanted to love this book more because for a hopeless romantic like me, I'd love it, definitely. With all those cheezy scenes and very sweet moments. I swooned so many times, but at the same time, I'm also a bookworm, and honestly? This is just like another book about a girl liking a bad guy.

Starting of this review would be hard, I know for a fact, that many, MANY people loved Crush. Sad that I don't strongly agree with them. In this story, Cami, a nerdy, but definitely gorgeous girl has always noticed Hunter. Who wouldn't he just moved in and he's already declared as the number one hottie at school. She doesn't want to be attracted to him, only problem is that she IS indeed attracted to him, and that attraction is not one-sided.

Crush is one of those books that talks about how the really handsome bad guy, got interested with the geeky but very pretty girl. From that point on, I got interested in it. I'm a sucker for these kind of stories and already too-much used plot. So, it was already a dead giveaway that I would like this. But sadly, as much as I liked reading it, I didn't like it too much.

Plot's for me are just something that comes to mind. I don't really care much if the plot of the story's something's that already used too much, or if its unique or creative. It just add's a few points for me to like it. The deal breaker for me is if I would enjoy it as a bookworm and a hopeless romantic and truthfully I'm not hard on my ratings. But this time, I got really strained reading this.

I liked all of those easy banters at first. Then things got a little more intense and serious. I like these a lot. Because these are something a hopeless romantic like me appreciates. Those sweet moments, easy banters, fun teasing. I live for those moments. But I can't forget that I'm also a reviewer.

Hunter's so called secret was so painstakingly obvious. When I read the words, "legal" and "lie-low" it was obvious that he has this job that requires him to not be associated with minors. Somehow I already know what his secret was. I was just waiting for the big reveal. And yet, I didn't get it until I was already near the ending. -.-

I know that secret thing was supposed to make you excited with all the waiting, but for me it was just irritating. From the moment I was half-way finished with it. I was antsy to know that my suspicion was true. Not only that, but even before the really MAIN problem was solved, I already knew what(more of a who really) would happen. It was so agonizingly long, and I got to the point that I just wanted to finish it already and move on. Other than the slow pacing, it was too predictable for me. Slowly, I already knew what would happen and who would do it. (I'm not bragging on this one, it was just a gut feeling).

But I did like a few things from Crush, its certainly pure YA romance, it was sweet and intense in an innocent way that I liked. Also, it provided a lot of laughs and giggles so my hopeless romantic side kinda gave it 4 stars.

MY NOTE:

I'm not recommending that you do not read it or read it at all. Because I have this love-hate relationship with this book. Sure it made me squeal like the girl that I am, and gave me one of those "awwwww" moments, but I kinda feel like there's something missing.

3 comments:

  1. the guy on the cover is pretty attractive!I may check this out, i'm not really a hopeless romantic, in fact i prefer when couples are more practical in books but maybe it's worth checking out. I know you didn't like it and maybe i won't either but was looking for some other books to review :)

    I found you through a goodreads thread!

    http://guinandlibertadtomas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this because like you, I'm attracted to stories about the "bad boy" and the "nerdy girl" falling for each other. Who doesn't like opposites attracting. I think I know what the secret is just by reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. Though it is quite obvious. :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!